advertisement

Rega planar 3 or old lp12

If you can tolerate the "glop pot" then a well tempered deck might fit your bill. There's currently an Amadeus GTA on ebay for under 2 grand, and that can compete with pretty much anything out there.

Another option would be a Townshend Rock with some sort of external PSU.

The main point about Rega turntables and the LP12 is that they do not sound the same. The Linn has an organic feel and 'bounce' to the sound that Rega decks don't but the Regas counter with speed/pitch stability that makes the LP12 sound broken. If you enjoy one you may not like the other.

Having had an LP12 for thirty years the things that got to me were the constant doubt over set-up and the fact that even the slight upgrades were expensive. Yeah, Linn owners talk about how 'huge' every upgrade is but they're not. They've just lost perspective.

I'm not sure all Linn owners have lost perspectve.
There's perhaps more opportunity to make the deck unproportionally expensive in relation to improvement.
But you can also have a healthy attitude with it and have no issues whatsoever for a long time with the LP12.
I have mine since a long time now, no issues..I can do light improvements if I'm in the mood..
and other than that..it just runs. The odd belt every now and then and that's it..

Interesting for me if I thought about an alternative, I would step in at the P6 or P8, but no way the P3.
The unsuspended Pink deck is also very nice.
I'd also take a good look at what Project has to offer in the price region between the P3 and P6.
I think for the price of a new P3 I saw offers from Project I found much more interesting.

I'm not sure all Linn owners have lost perspectve.
There's perhaps more opportunity to make the deck unproportionally expensive in relation to improvement.
But you can also have a healthy attitude with it and have no issues whatsoever for a long time with the LP12.

Of course. But you'd be better staying off forums and away from dealers if you want to stay content with your LP12 for very long.

Of course. But you'd be better staying off forums and away from dealers if you want to stay content with your LP12 for very long.
I jumped in where I want to be with my new one... I’m more interested in finding good vinyl to play on it to be honest.

Jusf curious, to folks mentioning the P3, is that with the optional external psu, or doesn't it make much difference?

P.S. Sorry. I get a bit Meldrew..ish sometimes..

However.. it is pointless to compare a P3.. which..as far as I know is a fairly consistent beast apart.. maybe..from the cartridge.. or PSU..or something.. or indeed any other record player... with 'an LP12'....which, frankly does not exist. There are so many iterations of LP 12 from the very earliest to now.. that it is pointless to speak of 'an LP 12'. or 'The LP12'. I do not believe that even the mythical 'character' of the LP12 has been preserved through 74000000 'upgrades'.

Thus. you can only ever compare YOUR LP12..with whatever else you are considering. That.. is your choice..

Now.. without nai ..er naming names. I firmly believe that some people's Brand Loyalty deafens them to reality. Further.. I also believe that many people seek personal validation by purchasing that which is 'seen as'.. 'the best'.. so that they can join some sort of 'Approval Club'. A social construct.. bugger all to do with audio quality.

Listen to stuff.. Buy what you think sounds best. Nobody else can hear what you hear.

There are so many iterations of LP 12 from the very earliest to now.. that it is pointless to speak of 'an LP 12'. or 'The LP12'.

I agree. Some LP12s you might love and others you wouldn't wish on your evil grandma.

I think the question is wrong. Don't ask 'is 'X' better than the LP12?'. What you really want to know is whether or not you can enjoy your music on it. Which is a very different question.

I had a LP12s for over thirty years. I've also owned quite a lot of other turntables, mostly bought to try out/sell but I listened to and used them all in my system. You know the most satisfying deck I owned? The one that never failed to make me enjoy the music, made every record enjoyable and just did what I wanted it to do every time? The eighties Rega Planar3/RB300.

Was it as 'good' as the LP12? In many HiFi respects, no but it didn't matter. It got the fundamentals so right you always forgot about the flaws and simply enjoyed the music.

There was no paranoia over whether the bounce was right or the bolts the correct toque. No sweating over whether or not the next megabucks upgrade would be worth it. It just played music, and isn't that exactly what you want a record player to do?

So yeah, I've had a lot of other record players here and yes the LP12 is technically a better one but did I love my music less when it was played on that Rega? No, often the opposite. Can you replace an LP12 with a Planar3? Hell yes. Once you get over the acclimatization phase you'll enjoy your music just as much, maybe more.

Don't listen to the clamoring voices urging only upgrades. Life will only be perfect when you've maxed out and have the best, whatever that is. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

P.S. Sorry. I get a bit Meldrew..ish sometimes..

However.. it is pointless to compare a P3.. which..as far as I know is a fairly consistent beast apart.. maybe..from the cartridge.. or PSU..or something.. or indeed any other record player... with 'an LP12'....which, frankly does not exist. There are so many iterations of LP 12 from the very earliest to now.. that it is pointless to speak of 'an LP 12'. or 'The LP12'. I do not believe that even the mythical 'character' of the LP12 has been preserved through 74000000 'upgrades'.

Thus. you can only ever compare YOUR LP12..with whatever else you are considering. That.. is your choice..

Now.. without nai ..er naming names. I firmly believe that some people's Brand Loyalty deafens them to reality. Further.. I also believe that many people seek personal validation by purchasing that which is 'seen as'.. 'the best'.. so that they can join some sort of 'Approval Club'. A social construct.. bugger all to do with audio quality.

Listen to stuff.. Buy what you think sounds best. Nobody else can hear what you hear.
I agree with some of that, but not all. There are a few defined specifications of LP12 at given price points to suit a range of budgets, the zillions of “upgrades” are largely third party offerings, so one could argue (and the argument has been had many times) that an LP12 fitted with third party components beyond tye arm and cartridge, is no longer truly an LP12. My LP12 has a Roksan arm and Ortofon cartridge, but that aside, it’s all Linn, and I knew what I was getting before I bought it. It’s not my first LP12 either, I’ve owned and auditioned other stuff in between, but was missing something... I can’t describe what that something was, but I have it back with my LP12.

I did look into a Gyrodec and I’d still like to own one, but the (my) LP12 edged it for me. There are a few definitions of that deck too with different motors, power supplies and suspension upgrades, and of course there are a wide variety of arms used on them, that happens with a product that has been in continuous production for a long time.

As for brand loyalty, although I literally have Linn in my username, I don’t like everything they make, or do... you might be surprised to learn that I have Naim, Cyrus, Quad, Ruark, Rotel, Rega, Royd and Pro-Ject products in the house, and I like all of them in the right combination... in fact I’m seriously considering ditching an active Kaber system in favour of a a simple Naim/Royd system... with a Pro-Ject turntable, which might get replaced with a Gyro!

I agree. Some LP12s you might love and others you wouldn't wish on your evil grandma.

I think the question is wrong. Don't ask 'is 'X' better than the LP12?'. What you really want to know is whether or not you can enjoy your music on it. Which is a very different question.

I had a LP12s for over thirty years. I've also owned quite a lot of other turntables, mostly bought to try out/sell but I listened to and used them all in my system. You know the most satisfying deck I owned? The one that never failed to make me enjoy the music, made every record enjoyable and just did what I wanted it to do every time? The eighties Rega Planar3/RB300.

Was it as 'good' as the LP12? In many HiFi respects, no but it didn't matter. It got the fundamentals so right you always forgot about the flaws and simply enjoyed the music.

There was no paranoia over whether the bounce was right or the bolts the correct toque. No sweating over whether or not the next megabucks upgrade would be worth it. It just played music, and isn't that exactly what you want a record player to do?

So yeah, I've had a lot of other record players here and yes the LP12 is technically a better one but did I love my music less when it was played on that Rega? No, often the opposite. Can you replace an LP12 with a Planar3? Hell yes. Once you get over the acclimatization phase you'll enjoy your music just as much, maybe more.

Don't listen to the clamoring voices urging only upgrades. Life will only be perfect when you've maxed out and have the best, whatever that is. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

lovely post! Sums it all up for me. I went original planar 3 - Townsend rock - roksan radius (fancied a unipivot) - sold it all. I have recently(ish) bought a simple set up comprising a new Rega planar 3 with an exact. No fuss, just plays all my records beautifully and is fun and relaxing to listen to. In the last 6 months I’ve listened to my streamer once and spend all of my time listening to vinyl and adding regularly to my collection.

I’m under no illusion that there are better record players out there. However, I have never had so much fun and do not miss being higher up the hifi chain at all. I suppose it all depends on your priorities.

Every time my daughter wanders into the room when it’s playing a record she starts dancing without realising it. Cant think of better praise.

Yes I might ask clive to play a 8 should be interesting
The Planar 8 is a very interesting deck indeed and is a very serious contender for and older/lower spec LP12, it’s a superb piece of kit and there’s a very real chance that you might end up with one. Another deck I’d like to own at some point.

The Planar 8 is a very interesting deck indeed and is a very serious contender for and older/lower spec LP12..

From everything I've heard the P8 seems to be broadly on a par with the RP10 I have. A little more organic but a bit less detailed and dynamic but in the ball park. If this is true, no way it's equal to an older/lower spec LP12. My RP10 demolishes an older LP12 in virtually every respect. It doesn't have the airiness, maybe lacking a bit in heft, but in most areas the difference is huge.

Zero motor or bearing noise, much less record surface noise, more detail, better dynamics, vastly better pitch stability. Sounds like a hi-end turntable.

I'm not saying you can't get these things out of an LP12 but it will cost you and I doubt the speed stability will ever be as good. The big Regas have their issues too but they are operating at a different level from an LP12.

The only time a motor makes zero noise is when its off.

Organic, detail, dynamics, heft. These have little to do with music, which is where a Majik LP12 murders any Rega.

I should point out, that any LP12 of any era, can be set up and left as it is; nobody is holding a gun to your head to do the upgrades, in fact many/most of us, couldn't afford them anyway. A belt and a mat now and again maybe.

Further to my earlier post, I would also point out that there are other manufacturers out there other than Linn & Rega. Myself, I do have an LP12/Kore/Norton/Audiomods/DL103. I recently treated it to a new belt & mat. I doubt that I'll take it any higher, because now, it resides in the office system upstairs, though I must admit, I am curious about what the Karousel would do for it.

Downstairs, I use vintage Lenco, Mitchell & Garrard decks, but if I were buying new, I might be tempted by one of the new Technics.

advertisement

Back