advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Firstly are you using the heel lock eyelet? The very top one if your shoes have them. I use 1000 miles socks. Never had a problem when wearing those. They’re not dear either, well worth a try. Blisters are a bloody nuisance. What shoes are they? Is there Any chance of getting them swapped? I love Brooks for this.

They're Brooks - and I'm using the heel lock lace.
Have just bought a decent pair of running socks from the shop that sold me the shoes.

I believe Brooks will take them back within 90 days if they don’t work for you. Not sure how that works if you buy from a shop.

Running socks tend to be lovely and soft when new but turn very dry & stiff after several months. I tend to buy a job lot and rotate them as best as I can. I would wear a heel blister plaster until the skin heals over.

Just over 10m this morning on tired legs. Very warm towards the end but gritted it out as I do enjoy a run in the sun. I can feel a beer on the patio coming on soon

So I just entered a couple of races - a 10k off road in the Downs a couple of weeks away (eek!) and a half in September.
Hopefully that will get me motivated to get off my ass a bit more!

Fab, I’m just praying the three events I’m entered into go ahead. I’m really missing doing a race.

I need to lace up my running shoes! There's a 5k race in one of my local Parks starting this Monday but sold out for the first two weeks. I've got a place for the third week. I've signed up for the run your own 26.2 London Marathon. I've also got a place on a altitude heavy 50 miler in Nov but that's more hope than expectation. Hoping poor ole Park run will get enough landowner permissions to recommence.

Advice please.

I've just rubbed my left heel raw from a modest 10k (ish) run at lunchtime.
I recently got a new pair of shoes and went up half a size because my right foot is quite wide and a size 9 would only do for short runs, and I try not to do those anymore. My right shoe fits perfectly with no issues but my left foot is slightly smaller and now the heel rubs. Fine - I'll tie a heel knot but either I'm doing it wrong or it only seems to help some of the time. Today it wore through the skin exactly half-way round. The top of the shoe heel is rubbing the skin raw - very annoying. I accept that I've been using ankle socks and they're probably best consigned to the bin but the 'sports socks' I have lying around feel like I'm wearing cheesewire after not very long so it's probably time to invest in proper socks, a different tying technique, some form of insert in the smaller shoe, or all the above. Any thoughts?

I'm sure I'll be laughed off this thread. I have feet that simply do not do well with pretty much any running shoe I've tried. My right foot always rubbed in a spot on the front of my arch that, not matter how flat wide I went, never got solved. I got very fed up and around that time happened on a book called "Pose Running". It was all about running with minimal shoes. Since thin shoes seemed OK to me that was the way I went. That was 10+ years ago and unless it's too rough or cold I don't wear any shoes. If you are willing and patient I do beleive the payoff if well worth it.

No laughing here - always admired barefooters (or fivefingers etc) but never tried it - except for a few long barefoot runs along the beaches in Oz, which TBH tore my feet to shreds and killed my calfs for days!). Never tried it on solid ground, but not sure I would be brave enough to...

No laughing here - always admired barefooters (or fivefingers etc) but never tried it - except for a few long barefoot runs along the beaches in Oz, which TBH tore my feet to shreds and killed my calfs for days!). Never tried it on solid ground, but not sure I would be brave enough to...

It takes time and a lot of patience! I defo had some shredded calves in the beginning. If you ever want to give it a go I highly recommend "Older Yet Faster" by Keith Bateman and Heidi Jones which I discovered after reading Pose running. Keith still holds the world record for masters 10k at 31:51 when he was 56 years old. I was lucky to do a session with him and Heidi in London a few years back and they are both an inspiration.

Day 1 10k training ....6 hrs in car to pick up daughter #2 from Uni, load car to overflowing with student paraphernalia, get home, unload, beer - garden - sun.
Felt good.

Day 2 10k training - snuck in a half just to see if the legs could take it.
Didn't feel so good.
Beer - garden - BBQ.
Felt better.

I need to stop shying away from the big runs, should have been 16km today, but when the alarm went off at 5 I decided to stay in bed and save my legs for a nice walk around York with the family…

ParkRun is on!!!

26th June.

Hurrah!! Big bloody hurrah!!

Now I just need to do the risk assessment ref MND...hmmm.

Still slowly working back up to it. Humbling how shite I have become…

LOL... you are way ahead of all of us PFMers on Strava this week! Great to see you back at it. Long may it continue!

Reactions: JTC
Had a long weekend on Cape Cod and got lost on my Sunday morning run, with the result that I ended up running for about 35 minutes vs the 15-20 minutes planned (recovering from IT band issues - trying to build up slowly). However no IT band pain so I may be doing better than expected. Next Saturday our local running club is organizing a free triathlon (the frugalman) at a local pond so I'll go along and try it. I've swum once since October due to Covid, and barely run since March due to knee pain, so I'll be somewhat relying on my bike leg.

advertisement

Back