advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

I’ll be interested to see how much the CD box is. If I go for this it will likely be that format. I want to know a lot more about it first though. The clip sounds really good and I’m very interested in hearing a much younger Jack Dejohnette in full swing, but I’m not convinced I need 12xLP or 8xCD of anything. That is a lot to process. I do like extended live jazz albums, e.g. the complete Bill Evans/John Coltrane Village Vanguard box sets are both great, as is Jarrett’s At The Blue Note 5xCD ECM set, Miles Cellar Door etc, but this one is just huge and I’d want to know just how free and varied it was. The good thing about the ones I list are they all show trajectory/development, even though the same tracks appear multiple times they are sufficiently different to retain interest. This set would definitely need to do that.

I have been waiting to see what the price would be for the vinyl. I am very tempted, but it is difficult to know how much variation there is in the repeated named titles and I not sure how many repeat plays I would give it. The CD version may be a better bet at £39.99 and only seems to be missing two tracks compared to the vinyl. Depending on how many they press the vinyl may eventually go up in price, not that I ever end up selling stuff I buy.

I have been waiting to see what the price would be for the vinyl. I am very tempted, but it is difficult to know how much variation there is in the repeated named titles and I not sure how many repeat plays I would give it. The CD version may be a better bet at £39.99 and only seems to be missing two tracks compared to the vinyl. Depending on haw many they press the vinyl may eventually go up in price, not that I ever end up selling stuff I by?
That seems like a very reasonable price for the CD set.

Bought the Jackie McLean - It's Time in HMV the other week and after reading this thread just bought Joe Henderson The State of the Tenor, Vol 1.

It's a bit crackly throughout but worst thing is it keeps sticking on Friday the Thirteenth (track 2, side 1). Anyone else had problems with this disc?

Best wishes, Peter

Currently on the Blue Note UK store for £39.99. Does indeed seem like a good price as used copies of the previous 3 x CD set go for £30-40.

Bought the Jackie McLean - It's Time in HMV the other week and after reading this thread just bought Joe Henderson The State of the Tenor, Vol 1.

It's a bit crackly throughout but worst thing is it keeps sticking on Friday the Thirteenth (track 2, side 1). Anyone else had problems with this disc?

Best wishes, Peter
I bought a copy when it was released and my copy is an excellent pressing. Flat and no ticks at all. Sounds like yours is a faulty pressing. Can you get an exchange?

I bought a copy when it was released and my copy is an excellent pressing. Flat and no ticks at all. Sounds like yours is a faulty pressing. Can you get an exchange?

Hi thanks. I've contacted the company I bought it from. Not bought vinyl via Amazon before so not sure what's the best way to proceed. Will see if I get a response from the shop first. Just want a working copy so hope it can be sorted out.

Hi thanks. I've contacted the company I bought it from. Not bought vinyl via Amazon before so not sure what's the best way to proceed. Will see if I get a response from the shop first. Just want a working copy so hope it can be sorted out.

I bought 2 copies from Amazon, both had imperfections in the pressing so just sent them back for refund using Amazon's return process. Got another copy from Juno and that one was fine.

I ordered Katanga ages ago at Amazon, it’s now saying delivery Tuesday. Looking forward to hearing this one!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I ordered Katanga ages ago at Amazon, it’s now saying delivery Tuesday. Looking forward to hearing this one!

Mine arrived from Amazon this evening.I’m giving it a first listen and really enjoying it. And it has a decent RVG free piano sound and on first play Native Land is as good as anything in the series so far.

This one isn’t a gate fold sleeve but does have an insert with an additional essay about the record.

I’m glad I’ve not started my cold turkey just yet :D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

I really want to get off this TP merry-go-round, but caved on this one.

Looks like it is landing today!

Katanga arrived this morning - the single sleeve looks beautiful. I know the music, but looking forward to hearing it in its full glory. To obtain free postage I took a punt on Impact by Charles Tolliver, a star studded (well for me anyway) big band from 1976 on Strata East. I may report on that one over on the SE thread.

I have also been Katanga’d. Just starting on side two now and it’s a really nice album. The single tip-on sleeve on this, Lou Donaldson’s Mr Shing-A-ling etc are great, I wish they’d use them for the Classic range! To be honest I think I prefer them to the gatefolds as they take up less shelf space. The photos are great, but it makes them at least twice as thick!

I’m listening to Katanga! on Amazon Music as it won’t get here until Monday. It’s a great album. Very excited for the TP, but it’s gonna have to wait while I fit a new cart…

advertisement

Back