advertisement

Rega planar 3 or old lp12

worz

pfm Member
Hi all just fancy a change ,is the new p3 good enough to get me sorted from my old pre circus lp12
Cheers

I'm not going down that road again ,to be honest I've lost interest in the old fruit box
Modular it maybe but crickey at a huge cost to just keep up

I'd seriously look at what PerF suggested, although I'd go down the vintage route for better looks.
Old Japanese stuff looks far less dated than old LP12s to my eyes.

Rega stuff is well engineered, sounds good and they don't cling to the past for no reason. Some may sneer but maybe they're just not able to move on yet.... ;-) also good value and built on this isle.

I don’t think an LP12 requires huge cost to keep up. Keep up with what, exactly? Yes it would cost an awful lot to upgrade to top-end, new spec. The pre-Cirkus deck is very good and just needs a tweak every now and again. I did mine every 5 years in the 20 or so I had one. I’d give it a new cartridge and buy some records. A new P3 doesn’t get close to my ears, as good as it is.

It would cost quite a lot to get your LP12 updated (subchassis, bearing, P/S) and set up well. If you're not into that, get the SL1200GR - more flexible than the Linn or the Rega and sound is probably close to what you have right now.

advertisement

Back