advertisement

Big life change and everthing is now for sale

I never dreamt that I would end up living in Portsmouth but it is a pretty good place to live
Lots to do, places to eat, Southsea Common, lots of history and good connections
Can go up to London for the evening, go to Covent Garden and get home the same night by train
And it’s by the Sea
J

Friends of ours came here to live from Portsmouth, never quite understood why as they sometimes have to park 2 roads away

To be honest tho...I agree. Be near the coast do, but living is far better a few miles inland
mostly cos you get a good bit more for your buck if 'seaview' is not on the description.
Just hop on a bus and go look whenever you want, but those winds!

Had the best of both worlds in Heaton Grove; the house was called Seaview but all we could see was the station and Byker wall.

UPDATE !

1st house I was intrested in fell through due to foundation / under pinning needed ( NO mention of this on the estate agents wording )

Yesterday I did a 400 mile round trip to see a house , Described as being in a nice rural quiet location and in good condition

Well GOOD CONDINTION reads nees new everything , Kitchen , Bathroom , All the double glased windows were blown with condensation between the glass panels , The garden / rooms all looked huge ( Due to the super wide angle lens use on the camera , In reality they were small,
Also no mention of New Holland !!! , A commercial docks , I sat outside the house for 10 mins and in that time 18 HGV went thundering through 20 feet from the fornt of the house ,

Leason lernt , Take no notice of estate agents and read between the lines

All estate agents should give the room dimensions in the blurb. Also the size of garden. If they don't ask them.
Check the house location on Google Street View to get an idea of traffic etc.
Good means the same as in Record Grading.

UPDATE !

1st house I was intrested in fell through due to foundation / under pinning needed ( NO mention of this on the estate agents wording )

Yesterday I did a 400 mile round trip to see a house , Described as being in a nice rural quiet location and in good condition

Well GOOD CONDINTION reads nees new everything , Kitchen , Bathroom , All the double glased windows were blown with condensation between the glass panels , The garden / rooms all looked huge ( Due to the super wide angle lens use on the camera , In reality they were small,
Also no mention of New Holland !!! , A commercial docks , I sat outside the house for 10 mins and in that time 18 HGV went thundering through 20 feet from the fornt of the house ,

Leason lernt , Take no notice of estate agents and read between the lines

Google Maps are definitely your friend when house hunting these days. Estate agent pics never show up the bungalow next door that is less than 3 feet away from the boundary - or the refuse tip at the back. Maps to get location, Satellite to find the actual house (because the map pointers used by estate agents often land on the 'wrong' house. Traffic too, if you search "'name of city' traffic" in Google (it must be google for this to work) you can get an idea of live traffic levels on a map of the area. View at both morning and afternoon rush hours and school times. I recently looked at a property and found long queues in the road outside at certain times.

Or, if you have pals who live in the area, I always ask them during initial research which areas might suit my list, and if i see somewhere that might be ok ask them to have a glance at the area if poss. 400 miles is a long way to be pissed off. Hence if you are looking around the borders or Dumf & Galloway, do pm me if you want and ask. We know it pretty well now.

Similarly I remember that about 15 years ago there was a survey on "the best place to live" with points awarded for short commutes, low crime, inexpensive housing, etc. Alnwick, Northumberland, was the place. It was near the sea and a National Park, no unemployment, no crime, average commute 8 minutes, blah blah. House prices went through the roof for 2 years, then fell like a stone. All the incomers realised that a small town 30 miles north of Newcastle was a long way from anywhere else, and sold up because they were bored. How many teashops do you want to visit, how often do you want to sit in the pub talking to Albert and his dog?

Albert and dog only tend to be in the Shepherds Rest, what you have to watch out for is the 6ft UKIP candidate with huge hands, oh, and the rest of my relations. Dirty Bottles is decent for a pint.

My sister-in-law and her husband had a plan when they decided to move away from That London: travel around for 6 months or so, stay in rented accommodation in various locations so they could suss out what living there would really be like, etc etc.

In the event their daughter spotted a redevelopment near where she was living; they saw it, liked it, bought a flat there, and their plan came to nothing.

advertisement

Back