h8m5Jw.jpg

EIiKqC.jpg

PB1lTt.jpg

6s2ZoK.jpg

rfyeyS.jpg

CDyLQ6.jpg

1F1enc.jpg

Pentax 645 Pentax 45-85 f4 HP5/FP4 DDX

If you look carefully beyond the apex of the outcrop in the last one you can just make out what the old lady who roams these moors calls 'the castle in the sea'.

If you look carefully beyond the apex of the outcrop in the last one you can just make out what the old lady who roams these moors calls 'the castle in the sea'.

The 'old lady who roams the moors'?????
It's all very Dickensian...
ARRRRR Lad, you can take the pony, but beware the old lady who roams;
'tis said that the gypsy's raised her and she do have strange powers arrrrr.

The 'old lady who roams the moors'?????
It's all very Dickensian...
ARRRRR Lad, you can take the pony, but beware the old lady who roams;
'tis said that the gypsy's raised her and she do have strange powers arrrrr.

zmDUKI.jpg

You're not far wide of the mark. She told me that she comes up every day, and spends the days walking. She said that her family lived and worked the land at the foot of the moor for a thousand years, and her knowledge of this ancient and haunted landscape, with its many bronze age artefacts and more recent agricultural and industrial remnants, is encyclopedic. She even knew the distinct calls of the four cuckoos that live here, laughing that one of them had a croak at the end of its call, as though it had a sore throat. Later we heard it, and laughed too. She mocks herself as 'the witch of the moor', and I wasn't entirely convinced that her image would be there when I developed the film. I showed this photograph to a friend who was raised in nearby Penzance, and he told me that she is well known to locals.

zmDUKI.jpg

You're not far wide of the mark. She told me that she comes up every day, and spends the days walking. She said that her family lived and worked the land at the foot of the moor for a thousand years, and her knowledge of this ancient and haunted landscape, with its many bronze age artefacts and more recent agricultural and industrial remnants, is encyclopedic. She even knew the distinct calls of the four cuckoos that live here, laughing that one of them had a croak at the end of its call, as though it had a sore throat. Later we heard it, and laughed too. She mocks herself as 'the witch of the moor', and I wasn't entirely convinced that her image would be there when I developed the film. I showed this photograph to a friend who was raised in nearby Penzance, and he told me that she is well known to locals.
Great pic and great story. I do enjoy the stories behind pics. We don’t get Cuckoos this far north normally, but yesterday, out walking the Glenkiln valley, we heard one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back