advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

Not sure I understand the grief directed at Pep. At the end of the day, it was one game. Chelsea managed the city press in their previous two meetings, that he tried something different should be expected. It didn’t work, but that one error surely doesn’t take him from hero to zero.

This country is only a breath away from lambasting the successful, especially if it is Johnny Foreigner.

Not sure I understand the grief directed at Pep. At the end of the day, it was one game. Chelsea managed the city press in their previous two meetings, that he tried something different should be expected. It didn’t work, but that one error surely doesn’t take him from hero to zero.
That's the football world though isn't it - you're either considered as absolute crap or the best thing since sliced bread.
I think Pep's plan was to come out of the blocks fast,get an early goal and then manage the game using resources from the bench as and when necessary.
What was apparent to me was that every time Chelsea attacked they looked dangerous and Stones, in particular, looked uncomfortable against pace.
I doubt there's a single City fan on here that would have predicted or picked that starting eleven - by contrast the Chelsea starting eleven was entirely predictable with every player knowing exactly what their role was.

It wasn’t the starting 11 as much as where they were told to play, City’s most influential player didn’t touch the ball until the 21st minute and then was offside, I’ve not seen him deployed as a false 9 previously but other than a long ball from the GK to Sterling, City created little - one shot on target was it?

as for the criticism, I certainly slated JK after his team selection first half in Madrid, game over at half time - due to tinkering

Last edited:
Well the outcome was the better of the two, and least the smug manc didn't win, but the chelski scum did.

This country is only a breath away from lambasting the successful, especially if it is Johnny Foreigner.

This happened to Sir Alex who was described as a ‘cancer’ by a cantankerous toxic poster earlier on this thread. Does Johnny Foreigner apply to the Scottish?

Congratulations to Chelsea. This was no fluke, they now have 3 wins in a row against Man City - PL Away, FA Cup Semifinal and now the CL Final. Sure, the PL fixture could have been different if Aguero scores the penalty to go 2-0 up, but he didn’t.

I was very surprised with the Man City team selection. Stirling is in poor form and I personally would have had him on the bench. I would have started with Jesus or even Stirling up front and played KDB deeper in midfield where he could influence/control the game. Foden could have played left side in the front 3, he has done well there of late. I would have played a defensive midfielder too. To me, Pep adapted City to play Chelsea instead of just playing his best 11 in his best system and letting Chelsea deal with them. I still think he is a class man and manager though.

Fair to say all of the neutrals here* would still take Pep in a heartbeat...it's just constructive criticism.
* knowing a few sky blues in Mcr I was favouring City.

Well played to Chelsea. I spoke to my brother who is a big Chelsea fan and we agreed that the key battle would be in midfield... Yes Pep is still a great manager, but as he demonstrated again last night, he can over complicate the tactics and end up making it easy for opposition to win the game. We have had 3 matches where we've made it easier to lose every time.

I hope that we get the recruitment right for next season, selling Sterling is one option City should consider, he needs to go to another club as seems unable to develop his game under Pep.

He’s done well at Barca, Bayern and City, top teams in their respective leagues with squads full of £50m+ players and an open cheque book.
Lets see Pep take over at Crystal Palace or Burnley with no transfer budget and see how he does.

This happened to Sir Alex who was described as a ‘cancer’ by a cantankerous toxic poster earlier on this thread. Does Johnny Foreigner apply to the Scottish?

No, but I will make a special case for Fergie.;)

He’s done well at Barca, Bayern and City, top teams in their respective leagues with squads full of £50m+ players and an open cheque book.
Lets see Pep take over at Crystal Palace or Burnley with no transfer budget and see how he does.

Yes, just like the CEO of BP would take over your corner shop to prove himself.

On the basis that City's main attacking threat for the last 10 mins of the game was 'Wimbledon style' long throw-ins by Kyle Walker he'd probably do better than you might imagine.;)

Sterling has zero football talent, said as much after his Liverpool debut and have seen literally nothing to make me change my mind since then.
Werner is similar to be fair.

Decent, fast game (and with fans). Chelsea's defence the difference IMO, Rudiger and Christensen in particular. Werner misfired again - Chelsea's Sterling. Shame Giroud didn't get a run out. City didn't really turn up until the second half. Tinker Clever Pep self-sabotaging again it seems. Not sure why he didn't start with a more traditional and proven City line-up. Ref was very good. Congrats to Chelsea. Wonder where Kane will end up now.

Chelsea played a game that was recognisably Athletico Madrid (minus the cynicism). Simeone would have been proud of that performance. Let’s hope they don’t bring those tactics to the Prem

Let’s hope they don’t bring those tactics to the Prem
I think you'll find that most teams end up defending against City as they do tend to hog the ball.
Being effective in possession is the key as was demonstrated last night.

advertisement

Back