advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

The back 4 are also an issue, as is the 'team's' consistency (and balance). It's also, relatively speaking, a 'thin' 'team'. On their day, United can beat any team, but they can't currently maintain 'high gear,' despite going unbeaten away this season, and losing the same number of Premiership games as the neighbouring nation state/monarchy. No good beating City when we can't beat Sheff Weds (despite the horrific refereeing). Consistency has been a problem for a number of years (as has the back 4 and the overall depth and balance of the squad) so there's an argument to be made the Ole has done a good job of managing a team of "misfits" but you can't help feeling that he needs to up his and the club's standards, and get a little more ruthless (e.g. switching goalies in the final) to get the team performing more consistently. Personnel changes on the pitch (and in management) will help of course.

As for the final, congrats to Emery. He evoked his inner Jose and got away with one, but it wasn't Ole's finest moment (nor the ref's). Not sure why the creche weren't given another run out. They played well against a decent Wolves side and would have tested V's low block. No idea what Ole was thinking re: substitutions either; maybe there was a plan but it wasn't obvious. And 3-4 players woefully underperformed - part of the consistency problem but also a reflection of Ole's blind spots (i.e. Rashford, Pogba in a defensive role). Felt for De Gea though. For a man short on confidence that must have been hard to take. The team did well scoring 10 penalties though, and I was hoping after the equaliser that the handsome man would finish the job and sink the yellow submarine but it wasn't to be.

Yeah, I'm not sure why Axel does not get the nod over Bailly, I really can't relax when he plays, talented defender yes but without a football brain, far too rash and willing to jump into tackles near the half way line or when an attacker is going away from goal. Playing Maguire/Lindelof every match says that Ole does not trust Bailly/Jones (somehow he is still here) or seemingly, Tuanzabe.

Personally, I think its a good time for DeGea to move on, he has been our best player for most of the last 10-odd seasons, certainly the only player maintaining any kind of defensive dignity with the comedy duo of Smalling and Jones in front of him, for example. If Oblak moves elsewhere, Atletico seems an obvious choice for him to move back, would be advantageous for Unite to get him, as well as Pogba off the wage books, considering you have Bruno on ~£100k/week and Pogba/DeGea on £300k+/week...

Ole has wasted £200 million in his tenure and despite having far more income than even City they buy cheap tat like James or sign journeymen on end of career jollies for free.
He bought a centre half with the turning circle of an oil tanker and a diving, cheating, whining midfielder who can win penalties but disappears in big matches.
They’ll be found out next season.
Second place in the premier league was a completely false position. They are light years away from challenging.
They need to get in a manager who can coach, Ole admits he does none, get rid of the old boys network currently coaching and until they banish the cancer that is Ferguson permeating the club everywhere they will never be big players in football again.
Their whole mindset is arrogant entitlement as illustrated by their pre match pronouncements and their smacked arses after it.

Ole has wasted £200 million in his tenure and despite having far more income than even City they buy cheap tat like James or sign journeymen on end of career jollies for free.
He bought a centre half with the turning circle of an oil tanker and a diving, cheating, whining midfielder who can win penalties but disappears in big matches.
Second place in the premier league was a completely false position. They are light years away from challenging.
They need to get in a manager who can coach, Ole admits he does none, get rid of the old boys network currently coaching and until they banish the cancer that is Ferguson permeating the club everywhere they will never be big players in football again.
Their whole mindset is arrogant entitlement as illustrated by their pre match pronouncements and their smacked arses after it.

United must be doing well, for you be writing such drivel.

Just wondering who the neutrals are supporting in the big game on Saturday?

I'll be hoping Brentford win. Not that I've got anything against Swansea but Brentford went so close last year. They've sold Ollie Watkins and still mounted a decent challenge. Not been in the new stadium but it looks great as you drive past on the M4.

Disappointed that Tranmere didn't make it to the League 2 play off, unfortunately their form went to pot over the last 10 games of the season. I suspect Morecombe will edge it, again against Welsh opposition in the form of Newport.

Howe for Palace.
Lampard - West Brom
Conte for Spurs?

The rebuilding job at Palace sudddenly got a lot tougher with Eze out for months and a career threatening injury. Especially if the plan was to sell Zaha to fund some of it.

West Brom don't require as much work, Lampard might see that as less stress.

Spurs have delusions of grandeur and that would mean that neither of those would be high enough profile to satisfy fans and when they quickly found their (upper mid table) level - there would be tension with Levy.

Going to be a tough watch against the overwhelming favourites from up North with their massive home advantage later today. Just pray that us Southern no-hopers can muster some sort of performance against what is the best team in the world at the moment.

We’ll need to score first and get a few decisions going our way to win, both in short supply just recently

Fingers crossed for a good tactical battle.

Chelsea have been a good watch since Tuchel got them organised
Man City. Great team and great manager. Dickhead fans and owners.

Chelsea it is then, on the basis that I want to see City fans try to explain away a loss when they’ve spent 1.2bn nett to buy success and still can’t win the biggest prize.

btw…I do expect City to win.

Last edited:
I hope its a great game for the neutral and not decided on a penalty shootout or controversial VAR call - might be asking too much as the stakes are so high... For the fans of both teams, saviour the moment, its special and many folk and players might not get another opportunity to play in or watch your team in what is arguably the biggest club football final - may the best team on the day win!

Going to be a tough watch against the overwhelming favourites from up North with their massive home advantage later today. Just pray that us Southern no-hopers can muster some sort of performance against what is the best team in the world at the moment.

We’ll need to score first and get a few decisions going our way to win, both in short supply just recently

Fingers crossed for a good tactical battle.

Chelsea are the favourites having won their last 2 games against City. I just hope we can put in a good performance and see how it goes.

Howe for Palace.
Lampard - West Brom
Conte for Spurs?

The rebuilding job at Palace sudddenly got a lot tougher with Eze out for months and a career threatening injury.

That's terrible news, he's an exciting up & coming player to watch. Fingers crossed he fully recovers.

Chelsea are the favourites having won their last 2 games against City. I just hope we can put in a good performance and see how it goes.
Don’t worry, Sterling will fall over like he’s been shot when someone breathes on him by the half way line, and VAR will still give him a penalty

Don’t worry, Sterling will fall over like he’s been shot when someone breathes on him by the half way line, and VAR will still give him a penalty

VAR hasn't been our friend since it reared it's ugly head.

Not sure Raheem will even make the starting line up anyway. His form hasn't been great and there are rumours he could be on his way this summer.

Yeah, I'm not sure why Axel does not get the nod over Bailly, I really can't relax when he plays, talented defender yes but without a football brain, far too rash and willing to jump into tackles near the half way line or when an attacker is going away from goal. Playing Maguire/Lindelof every match says that Ole does not trust Bailly/Jones (somehow he is still here) or seemingly, Tuanzabe.

Personally, I think its a good time for DeGea to move on, he has been our best player for most of the last 10-odd seasons, certainly the only player maintaining any kind of defensive dignity with the comedy duo of Smalling and Jones in front of him, for example. If Oblak moves elsewhere, Atletico seems an obvious choice for him to move back, would be advantageous for Unite to get him, as well as Pogba off the wage books, considering you have Bruno on ~£100k/week and Pogba/DeGea on £300k+/week...

Agree on Axel but I do (just about) rate Bailly (though his gymnastics 'clearance' in the penalty area the other night certainly hasn't helped his case). I think Ole's rotation policy, if there is one, has hindered his progress. He is also quick. I would like to see another pacy centre-back come in this summer. Not sure what will happen with De Gea, maybe back to Spain to be with his family, or maybe another year with United, as a firm No.2. The back 4 seem a little more settled with Henderson in goal but very early days.

A bit of light reading for you before this evening's final:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...masks-the-ugliness-of-their-owners-nick-cohen

advertisement

Back