advertisement

HELP! Trying to prevent a travesty over my friend dying allegedly intestate

I looked up the law and found the order of inheritance and the fact that yes "they" get it all if there is no will and no relatives with greater claim. My friend was orphaned at an early age and was an only child.... Hence the police and coroner having to place an appeal in the local paper for any relatives to come forward.

Obviously I don't know if probate or any other legal power has been granted but as others have said it seems most unlikely as they have only come forward in the last few days... the funeral hasn't even happened yet!

In which case would it not be illegal for these people to already have gone through his place taking what they like?
There is nothing to stop the executors (or administrators as they will be in this case) from burying a body before probate.

In which case would it not be illegal for these people to already have gone through his place taking what they like?
If they have no legal claim then that might be theft. You might speak to the Police; they might be interested.

All this is, of course, none of your business really.

Would those "Have you made a will? Contact us today!" type services not have been to prevent a will being improperly made/unwitnessed/not registered somewhere? Surely the idea would be that it was cheaper than actually engaging a local solicitor but, even though done "production line", a solicitor would have to have read and signed it etc? ie it was the cheapest way of making a "proper" will?
Simple then.
Find out who drew up this “will” and signed it as solicitor.
Of course there is no evidence so far that a will ever existed.

As I want to do "something" ASAP can I ask again about the police etc and as there is no way probate has been granted already is it not illegal for "them" to have just gotten in to my friends home and gone through it taking what they like? (assuming this is what has actually happened)

What a horrible story to read.

As they (the vultures) are a ‘verified family member’ I presume gain easy access to the property? The only way you’ll ever win this case for him is if you find that will and sadly, it comes down to whether he actually went through with it all in the first place. If they’ve had access and found the Will in paper form, well you know the answer to that :(

As I want to do "something" ASAP can I ask again about the police etc and as there is no way probate has been granted already is it not illegal for "them" to have just gotten in to my friends home and gone through it taking what they like? (assuming this is what has actually happened)

You have no idea whether probate has been granted.

So you phone the police, exactly what are you going to tell them?

From this thread so far it will go something like

My mate died and I think he left a will that I cannot prove he ever made, have never seen and know nothing about.
His only living relative has satisfied the coroner that they are the inheritors according to intestacy rules.
I have subsequently been told they are taking things from his house.
But I don’t like it and think you should get involved…

good luck with that.

If they have no legal claim then that might be theft. You might speak to the Police; they might be interested.

All this is, of course, none of your business really.

... Hmmmm.... He had no "real" family... just these vultures who he, I can assure you, despised. His friends were the closest "family" he had. To the best of my knowledge the last contact he had with "them" was around 30 years ago when, after no contact for maybe 10+ years already, she (the cousin) turned up to inform him that his aunt, who had "brought him up" had died and that although wealthy he was to get IIRC £200 only and then went on to slag him off for having a house full of "old junk" before leaving after only 30 mins... no contact since and believe you me he would not have wanted any contact! This why he made a will to make sure she didn't get his estate!

What a horrible story to read.

As they (the vultures) are a ‘verified family member’ I presume gain easy access to the property? The only way you’ll ever win this case for him is if you find that will and sadly, it comes down to whether he actually went through with it all in the first place. If they’ve had access and found the Will in paper form, well you know the answer to that :(

“Verified family member” means nothing.
Only the executor/administrator of the estate would be given the keys.

my kids are my executors.
My brother and sister will have no access to anything whatever I may have left them until the executors distribute the estate according to my wishes.

They can’t.
I have been executor for three friends and family.
The quickest I ever got probate was three months after application. And that was with a will naming me as executor!
Reports in the press are that some applications are now taking a year due to covid.
Don't confuse probate and letters of administration following an intestate. It'll be dealt with by a different section and may well be less busy. The family will have apply for letters of administration, and as the next of kin will be need to go in and empty the fridge, sort out the post and look for a will.

Well that’s good news. But then I don’t understand why they would have been given keys and access?

Edit - so reading Thorns post would they have been deemed as next of kin and can therefore go in? If so they could find the Will and dispose of it surely?

Because they have been given power as administrators for the estate having satisfied the coroner as to their entitlement presumably.

Don't confuse probate and letters of administration following an intestate. It'll be dealt with by a different section and may well be less busy. The family will have apply for letters of administration, and as the next of kin will be need to go in and empty the fridge, sort out the post and look for a will.

This was my fear.. If eg someone had a pet that would starve then someone must have the power to gain entry etc.
In this case I fear it would have been "to go in and empty the safe and dispose of the will"! There would have been a few £k in gold and vintage watches in it as well...

Jez, was your mate ever married?
If he married after making his will the will would be rendered invalid.

Given the keys by whom? There's no government or local authority department charged with protecting the property of a person who's died until probate or letters of administration are granted. It is for the next-of-kin to deal with the property. In the absence of a parent, sibling or child, a cousin can do it. As often as not a neighbour, who will have no legal standing, will be first in. Of course, whoever goes in must act in accordance with the law, not removing property save to keep it save, but who knows what may go on when the door is closed.

This was my fear.. If eg someone had a pet that would starve then someone must have the power to gain entry etc.
In this case I fear it would have been "to go in and empty the safe and dispose of the will"! There would have been a few £k in gold and vintage watches in it as well...

Sorry,
I’m out
these claims are getting ridiculous now.

Jez, was your mate ever married?
If he married after making his will the will would be rendered invalid.

No. He literally had no one at all other than his friends... once again, hence the coroners plea in the local paper for any relative to come forward.

£45 only searches for registered wills.
That would be £45 down the drain. Hardly anyone registers their will with The National Will Registry. It's a profit-making organisation. It's one of about seven such organisations registering wills.

advertisement

Back