advertisement

Your loudspeaker holy grail

Concentrating on speakers might be a mistake when it’s the whole system that counts but ignoring that for now...
The big MBLs caught my ear at Munich a couple of years ago, I’d not want the room that goes with those but the next one down looks more manageable. Only thing is the big 101 xtreams did hint that they’d be over critical of recording quality I want to be able to enjoy the music through the recording, not continuously be reminded of the latter’s short comings.
More within the realms of possibility are Volti Rivals, particularly the later ones with the rounded backs. No chance of a demo pair and I might need to replace my 500 series Naim with something with valves or maybe Grandinote SS for these but than again I might not. There’s a guy on the Naim forum was running some 105dB/W speakers with a Statement but he used 500 series with them first without hiss intruding.
That’s omnis and horns covered, I’ve only heard ESLs in their Quad 57 form but maybe there’s more to explore there. Inertia will likely stop the pursuit of all of these unless a room change requires something other than my NBLs.

Weirdly, I genuinely don't think I have any sort of 'holy grail' speaker in mind at all. I enjoy seeing what crops up within a reasonable distance at prices I can afford, and if I can snag them then I just like trying them out. That said I still kick myself for watching two pairs of big Spendors (BC3 and SP100) pass me by without me pulling the trigger, though that was over the course of quite a few years.

I'd find it easier to imagine a 'holy grail' living room in which to listen to my current speakers, as my current one is very far from ideal.

I'd find it easier to imagine a 'holy grail' living room in which to listen to my current speakers, as my current one is very far from ideal.
This is my 95% ideal room. The extra 5% would have been completed if I had stumped up the cash for built-in joinery to house media, spare kit and Lego sets on the blue wall.

ACtC-3etsO_MqIcfrWmwGsHFYLfUezPF-G3lxHOQDnJSFNmZIkQlPk9T4X7SBWKv3d1p6TiBMNT5kNDpLs-yIhv05QVD04a5rgFpQfVVyWSmKAmFM7HqCZLZCUN05v7T_UzWq7WFNtYrJHup2HMcXH3xI8ev=w2118-h1402-no

Well I have my grails - Restored Gale 401s, even if the chrome end caps are not perfect. The only speakers I have.

But still hankering to try Yamaha NS1000 or proper Tannoy (not the Westminster, I have heard them but maybe the room was too small). Quad Electrostatics I would also love to try, have heard then in other situations. And perhaps some 'full size' transmission line' type - I did love my modest TDL Studio 1's for many years. Spendor BC1 would also be of interest or some big old Ditton 44 or 66.

Original Sonus Faber Extremas, AMR LS-77, Borresen 01, Jern and Kiso Acoustic HB-X1

Of course that leaves MBL, Tannoy, Apogee Acoustics, Kharma, Shahanian...

About as much chance as a hot date with Sofia Vergara.

Mine are in my basement: custom made two way floor standers that go deep with control with a non fatiguing but detailed sound, perfectly sized for my room :

I have no plans to ever change my speakers but, that said, I would very much like to hear:

- Yamaha GF-1
- Technics SB-10000
- Kenwood LS-1900
- KEF KM-1

I'd also like to hear another pair of B&W Nautilus. I heard them once but on the end of amplifiers that I absolutely detest, so I've no idea if they were any good or not!

Best I've listened to:
- B&W 801F
- TAD Reference 1
- Vivid Giya G2
- B&W Nautilus
- Sonus Faber Stradivari
- Quad ESL63 w/ Gradient subs

Best I've owned:
- Spendor SP9/1

Would like to listen to:
- Grimm LS1
- Dutch & Dutch 8c
- Genelec 8361A and 1237A/1238A
- Neumann KH310/KH420
- ME Gheithain 3-way cardioid
- Linkwitz LX521
- Kef Blade
- Cessaro Gamma
- Living Voice Vox Olympian
- Thiel CS3.7

Big BBC monitors and Spendor derivatives. KEF KM1. KEF Reference 4, Proac Response 4. I've heard some of those.

To actually own, Quad ESL57's would be nice.

Harbeth monitor 40s
JBL 100s the new version or the old
Almost all the speakers Tenner & Friedl make especially the Isis
Tannoy System DMT 15 inch
WLM DIVAS
Audioengine A2s
Epos ES22s again just to see if I like them as much as I remember. The neighbours wouldn’t.
Pitt and Giblin Superwax - no idea how much these cost - ****in expensive no doubt.

In order of age
QuadELS 57
BBC LS35/A
Spendor BC1
Celestion Ditton 66
Gale 401
Yamaha NS1000
JBlcentury L100
Beveridge 2SW
Martin Logan Monolith
Apogee Scintilla
Infinity Beta IRS