advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

This thread was started in 2008 and just realized I've never posted on it...

I SOOO wish I had a photo of my first speaker..
I must have been in my early teens, mum and dad had a Boots stereogram and a few classical records. I somehow got the bug early and remember getting a letter published in Hi-Fi Answers or some such in the late 70s when I was a paperboy. I was recommended a NAD 3020, Dual 504, Wharfedale Sheltons I think.
So I saved up and bought the NAD. But no funds for speakers yet. Dad had an old speakercone in the garage so I wired that up to one channel, placed it horizontally between a couple of piles of books and hooked up a mono Panasonic radio cassette to an input. And there was sound! Not great mind you...
Anyway, shortly after I'd saved enough for the Dual, and Dad came home one night with the Sheltons. Heaven.

They met a sticky end at Uni when I inadvertently let a housemate wire up my system in the basement for a party. Plugged CD player into Phono input, volume up high, turned on....fzzzz...silence.

So found a pair of Rogers LS4a and lived with them for quite a while. Very nice.

Then some Castle Severns in yew, also very nice.

Then spied some SBLs for sale locally, early 2000s, and that was that, still got them. Been to Oz and back with me.

In addition:
-a pair of Goodmans powered speakers (for a stint traveling so wanted something portable),
- and Mission 700s for a 2nd system. They also went to Oz and had them set up in the garden undercover for several years. Still got them in the attic somewhere, a little faded and probably still spiders inside..
-JBL LSR305s (+310S) for the office.

T+A:
 TB 160
Audio Physic:
 Scorpio I

Dali:
 Mentor 6
Dynaudio:
 Excite X36

B&W:
 804S
Dynaudio: Contour 1.4 S

Dynaudio: Confidence C1
PMC: LB1i Signature
PMC: OB1i

ProAc:
D 38
Phonar: 
Veritas P7
Heco: 
Celan XT 301
Heco: Celan XT 701
Spendor:
S6e
Spendor: S8e
Heco: 
The Statement

Nubert:
 NuLine 32 with ATM
Nubert: NuVero 14

Sonus Faber: 
Liuto
OAudio: 
Sarah
 (DIY)

LSV Achenbach:
Trinity with Mundorf (DIY)
Sonus Faber:
Cremona M
Spendor: S9e

Sonus Faber: 
Guarneri Memento

Quadral Arum: 
Orkan VIII (activ)

Klipsch: Klipschorn HD
Harbeth: 
Super HL5
Klipsch: Klipschorn AK3
Harbeth: Super HL5+

Klipsch: 
Cornwall III

Harbeth:

Compact 7

since 2016 IIRC:
Spendor SP 9/1
Odeon Midas S.E
Harbeth SHL5+ 40th. A.E.
Odeon Electra S
Odeon Tosca S2
Odeon No 28. S.E.
Spendor SP 100 R
Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
Living Voice R3R
Harbeth Compact 7 ES3 X.D.

Some generic speakers as part of a £52 system from a place on Tottenham Court Road in 1971
Celestion Ditton 15
Lentek S4 - loved these speakers - never the same after they fell off a shelf during a party and hit the floor after braining a vertically challenged friend on the way down
Naim SBL
Naim SL2

B&O radiogram
Awai stack system
Sanyo c5 ghetto blaster
Heybrook/Hb1 s3
wharfdale Lintons
Wharfdale summat, had green stripes
Tdl /rtl2
Tdl studio0.5
Epos es11
Mordantshort Ms30 classic
Mission 752freedom
Castle Warwick
Tannoy ,blue 5sides can’t remember name
Yamaha ns1000
Living voice auditorium
Living voice obx
Living voice obx rw
Merlin vsm
Quad esl
Pro ac hexa
Avalon idea
Boenicke w8se
And couple of others I can’t name at present. Do I include subs?
Subs, b+W pv1
Rel stentor 3
Pro ac for hexa
Orange bass cab with ns1000

Goodmans Minister SL
Goodmans Havant SL
Technics SB4500a
Mordaunt Short MS 3.20 plus B&W Acoustitune Sub
Linn Keilidh passive
Linn keilidh aktiv tri amped

Heybrook Hb1
Mission 760 ( still used daily in the garage)
Mission 760se
Mission 780se
Mission 751
Celestion 9 (still used in the TV room)
Rega Kyte
Mordant Short MS?? (Small floor stander)
Castle York
Triangle ..can't remember, didn't like them
Sonus Faber Concertino
Sonus Faber Concerto ( still in use, main system )
Totem Arro
Totem Mite
Totem Model 1
Diapison Adamantees II
Mono pulse .. Can't remember , didn't like them
Shahinian Compass, very good but weird & interesting , I didn't feel they suited my room acoustically.

Currently awaiting arrival of a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica I ,( can't feking wait) the concertos will then go to the TV room and the celestions the garage/workshop.

Well, that was fairly short lived , for me anyhow.

The Sonus Faber Olympica I are now with their new owner, back to the Concertos and Gravis B sub for me for a while, I'm not complaining, oddly enough the addition of the Sub for two channel stereo brings as much air and detail to the upper frequencies as it does body and slam to the lower, I don't really understand why this is so but it's sounding good.

Hopefully there will be a new(to us) house and room within the next few months and then new speakers to suit whatever size of room I end up using.

Technics (part of a system)
Some generic black boxes from Richer Sounds
Tannoy 609's
B&W CDM7SE
Mission M33i
Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Gotta say out the lot I wish I'd have kept the Tannoys just to use occasionally, I bought them secondhand and they sounded a lot better than they ought to have done.
I sold them for peanuts and spent a grand (20 years ago!) on the B&W's and they sounded worse, never did admit that mistake to the Mrs

KEF Chorale 1970's
Mordaunt Short Carnival 3 1970's
Snell J 11 1980's
Martin Logan SL3 1990's
Focal Chorus 807v 2006'ish
HECO Direkt 2010's to now

Kef Coda
Royd Minstrels
Epos 14
Epos 11 (now in the kitchen)
Neat Elite SE
Neat Momentum 3i
Neat Ultimatum MFS
Shahinian Arcs
Shahinian Obelisk MK1
Now..Shahinian Obelisk MK2

Technics (part of a system)
Some generic black boxes from Richer Sounds
Tannoy 609's
B&W CDM7SE
Mission M33i
Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Gotta say out the lot I wish I'd have kept the Tannoys just to use occasionally, I bought them secondhand and they sounded a lot better than they ought to have done.
I sold them for peanuts and spent a grand (20 years ago!) on the B&W's and they sounded worse, never did admit that mistake to the Mrs

good to see someone else with love for the 6 series they got slated but 603 was my first speaker and loved it tried the 609 in a shop at the time and wanted them, but just never happened

The last 40 years in speakers:
Pioneer somethings (car speakers in homemade cabs)
Mission 700 (September 1981, first grant cheque spent in Laskys Manchester)
Acoustic Energy AE109
Linn Kan Mk 1 (only had them a few weeks - never sounded better than the day I sold them)
RMS Revelation 1 (fab speakers, wish I could've kept them)
Linn Sara (seemed like a good idea at the time...)
ATC SCM10-2 Active (replaced the Revelations and currently in storage - keepers)
Mission 751 (for a second system that never happened)
Shahinian Larc (2019 - currently more practical than the ATCs but not sure long-term)

Gotta say out the lot I wish I'd have kept the Tannoys just to use occasionally

Yeah, I used 605’s and they were a fantastic little speaker and coped with so much abuse over the years, gave them to a mate 10 odd years ago and they’re still in use @ 30 years old

after a JVC integrated with speakers from the earlier days,
my first speakers were diy towers with full range Microprecision 16cm driver + supertweeter (above 12KHz) + diy 30cm sealed Beyma subwoofer
then got some Dynaudio Crafft monitors with the same sub
to Dynaudio Contour 2.8 towers (unfortunately not on par with the Craffts IMO) with same sub
to Pawel Acoustics Reference monitors (keepers) with same sub and a couple more subs under construction

What fun...hadn't ever noticed this before...

Pioneer speakers that went with a late 60s Sansui receiver (parents)
Advent Loudspeakers (kept wanting them to sound better; they never did)
KEF Coda IIs (university speakers, went with an NAD 7125, spent several afternoons traipsing around the SF Bay Area listening, came away with a lifelong appreciation for KEF. Was an audio agnostic and used this system for a couple decades when...)
Rega RS3s (first excellent speakers, I still have them as my primary, they are great and I have never been motivated to change)
Several pairs of Mission MS50s, for office system, giveaways, etc. - great cheap speakers
Canton Plus Ss (cheap chunky good sounding tiny, office)
Wharfedale Diamond 2s (beat up, awesome sounding, for garage system)

Thorn/Ferguson
Wharfedale Laser 50
Tannoy Mercury mki
Gale 302***
SBLs***
Opera Prima***
Heco i220 still have
Little Missions still have
SBLs again
Opera Mezza-2012 still have

*** in hindsight my favourite speakers at time of ownership.

One or two other models that I can't remember because I had a string of loaners that's created a blur!

advertisement

Back