advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Piano sounds like it is covered with a sheet... or in the next room.

If I ever get hold of a time machine one big priority is to go back to the '50s and have a serious talk with Rudy about his piano sound. Everything else is fine on the recordings. The RVG edition CD's are awful.

If I ever get hold of a time machine one big priority is to go back to the '50s and have a serious talk with Rudy about his piano sound. Everything else is fine on the recordings. The RVG edition CD's are awful.

I don’t think they are awful.
Some bits sound fine, and I am enjoying the ones I have.

If I ever get hold of a time machine one big priority is to go back to the '50s and have a serious talk with Rudy about his piano sound. Everything else is fine on the recordings.

Stereophile recently ran an article about a jazz label that fell out with Rudy over problems with the finished recordings, primarily it seems his habit of using a DI rather than a mic on acoustic bass. They subsequently hired mastering engineer Allan Tucker to try and fix the recordings.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/reservoir-story

Stereophile recently ran an article about a jazz label that fell out with Rudy over problems with the finished recordings, primarily it seems his habit of using a DI rather than a mic on acoustic bass.

To be fair, I’d have thought the DI bass technique was post late 60s/early 70s when Van Gelder began multi tracking, and not his earlier classic Blue Note albums primarily recorded to 2 track. His technique of putting the mics in holes in the piano’s soundboard would explain the enervated piano sound I associate with Van Gelder Blue Notes, although I love his drum sound. Ever heard the MM45 version of Elvin Jones’ Puttin’ it Together? Stunning!

Last edited:
Do we have a definitive recommendation on where to buy these from?
The Amazon price algorithm has been a bit flakey with regard to some, but not all prices at the moment and packaging lateIy has bee a bit hit and miss, I haven't had any damaged from them though. They are generally the cheapest and the don't take your money upfront. If you don't want to use Amazon then Juno and Honest Jon's are pretty good on packaging and price. They don't do preorders though. Juno will send you an email when available. With Honest Jon's you just need to check their site when the release date comes around. If already issued this is not a problem with either except that stocks run out quickly so may not be available. Single LP's at Honest Jon's are usually £32* a pound or two cheaper than Jono's.

The Blue Note store sometimes has a sale with a large discount that usually you can use on preorders, but they don't seem to get enough stock and you can wait months for delivery as many have found. If it is in stock and you don't ask them to hold delivery till they have them all then it should not be a problem.

There are other good stores like Jazz House Records, but their prices are a little bit higher.

*Sorry £32 is for Tone Poets. I think the price for BN classics will also be at the lower end. I haven't bought any of these.

The Amazon price algorithm has been a bit flakey with regard to some, but not all prices at the moment and packaging lateIy has bee a bit hit and miss, I haven't had any damaged from them though. They are generally the cheapest and the don't take your money upfront. If you don't want to use Amazon then Juno and Honest Jon's are pretty good on packaging and price. They don't do preorders though. Juno will send you an email when available. With Honest Jon's you just need to check their site when the release date comes around. If already issued this is not a problem with either except that stocks run out quickly so may not be available. Single LP's at Honest Jon's are usually £32 a pound or two cheaper than Jono's.

The Blue Note store sometimes has a sale with a large discount that usually you can use on preorders, but they don't seem to get enough stock and you can wait months for delivery as many have found. If it is in stock and you don't ask them to hold delivery till they have them all then it should not be a problem.

There are other good stores like Jazz House Records, but their prices are a little bit higher.

Many thanks - I fancy the Grant Green next month.

So far I have bought Lee Morgan, Horace Silver, Wayne Shorter, Art Blakley, Hank Mobley and am waiting on Sonny Clark.

They've all been absolutely fine and playable and represent good value for money. I also have Herbie Hancock and Hank Mobley from the Blue Note 80 also done be KG this are also pretty good.

I think I read that Keven Grey is doing some of the mastering, is that correct, I can't find the original post?

Just picked up a copy of Mode For Joe 75th Anniversary US pressing. Awful, worst static I've come across for ages and quite a bit of distortion across the LP - makes you realise just how good the Classic series is for value & quality. I guess I should send it back but, considering this was new & sealed, will I be able to pick up another one?

Not tried any of the 75th Anniversary series, though the US ones don’t seem liked at Steve Hoffman’s site (thread). The current Classic range have the most static charge I’ve ever witnessed on a record based on the two I bought (Speak No Evil, Song For My Father). Almost impossible to get out of the paper inner! After a good squirt with a Zerostat, a wet clean and letting them settle down they are fine now. Nice pressings, I8d happily pay another £5-6 for a non-gatefold tip-on sleeve and a better inner though. It annoys me how they’ve obviously cheaped-out on this range. The titles deserve better than that.

PS I’d certainly de-static, wet clean and let it settle for a bit before deciding it is a total write-off though. Heavy static charge sucks any loose particles from the paper sleeve deep into the groove and it is that which gives the crackle and pop IME. I never play a new record without sorting any charge and wet cleaning it. From that point it lives in a decent inner.

Not tried any of the 75th Anniversary series, though the US ones don’t seem liked at Steve Hoffman’s site (thread). The current Classic range have the most static charge I’ve ever witnessed on a record based on the two I bought (Speak No Evil, Song For My Father). Almost impossible to get out of the paper inner! After a good squirt with a Zerostat, a wet clean and letting them settle down they are fine now. Nice pressings, I8d happily pay another £5-6 for a non-gatefold tip-on sleeve and a better inner though. It annoys me how they’ve obviously cheaped-out on this range. The titles deserve better than that.

PS I’d certainly de-static, wet clean and let it settle for a bit before deciding it is a total write-off though. Heavy static charge sucks any loose particles from the paper sleeve deep into the groove and it is that which gives the crackle and pop IME. I never play a new record without sorting any charge and wet cleaning it. From that point it lives in a decent inner.

I had to cut the paper inner off my Page One. I liking it now it's clean though.

I zapped it twice with a zerostat - made hardly any difference. Have put it in my pile of records due for a wet clean.

advertisement

Back