advertisement

Eurovision: Null pointe

So the European country most crippled by covid won and the greedy vaccine gobbling country got no points. Who knew?

The general standard of entries this year were excellent, sadly the uk entry was lacking, but no points was harsh on James.

Do people still watch this? I didn’t even know it was on until last night.

The whole thing is an absolute farce. I don’t know why we even enter.

We don’t really get Eurovision in the UK. It’s a catchy tune, high camp and a confident performance, that’s all you need. We take music a bit too seriously to understand.

Why are we allowed in it?
It predates us being in the EU by decades and has nothing to do with the EU.
We are still part of Europe.
Last time I watched it was in black and white and presented by David Jacobs!

Was not in the mood to watch last night but I'm going through the entries now and I'm baffled at all the people on twitter fawning over the France entry, and its 2nd placing. A real stinker I thought.

Ukraine, Iceland, Finland, Norway, yes. Italy, hard NO. More than a whiff of the Chilli Peppers about it, people might have enjoyed on the first listen but it would quickly get extremely nauseating. Big lol at the guy either doing coke or pretending to though. Unless that gets his band famous, then it will not be so funny.

Didn't even bother checking the UK entry. It seems that absolutely everyone thinks it was rubbish. Must have been a factor in the nul points alongside the politics.

(Edit: I know Eurovision is not to be taken seriously, that's why it's so entertaining. And not just for the gays)

Are entry was so bad our own public gave it nil points.
Should have got steps to enter their latest single, it sounds like ABBA.

Are entry was so bad our own public gave it nil points.
Should have got steps to enter their latest single, it sounds like ABBA.

We’re not allowed to vote for our own entry. Agreed that it was dire though.

The other day I had R2 on and Ken Bruce was going on about our entry. I got out of the van for a moment and when I got back in a song was playing, it sounded like typical Eurovision fodder, so thought it was our entry. Turned out to be the latest Coldplay single!

We’re not allowed to vote for our own entry. Agreed that it was dire though.

The other day I had R2 on and Ken Bruce was going on about our entry. I got out of the van for a moment and when I got back in a song was playing, it sounded like typical Eurovision fodder, so thought it was our entry. Turned out to be the latest Coldplay single!
I'm blissfully unaware of what Coldplay sound like these last 10 years or so. Radio 6 are nowhere near as cool as they think they are (it's permanently stuck in 90s radio 1 mode pandering to an audience of 30/40-something saddos like, er, me), but thankfully Coldplay must be on a blacklist or something. Can't imagine they've aged well.

New Coldplay single sounds like Deacon Blue! First few times I heard it I could swear it was a Ricky Ross tune.
Amanda Holden was off her face, whatever it was yes pls.
Radio 6 is the John peel memorial station, as usual beeb recognises genius after the constant threat of axing his show prob added to stress that may have contributed to his sad demise.

New Coldplay single sounds like Deacon Blue! First few times I heard it I could swear it was a Ricky Ross tune.
Amanda Holden was off her face, whatever it was yes pls.
Radio 6 is the John peel memorial station, as usual beeb recognises genius after the constant threat of axing his show prob added to stress that may have contributed to his sad demise.
I hope not, my colleagues saw me shed a tear when his death was announced, in the office I was working in at the time. Took a long time to get over that one. He was always on about spilling red wine on the carpet, and overweight, and on holiday abroad at the time, so there were other factors.

Agree that radio 6 comes off a bit like a JP memorial station. Except there's no one there who has replaced him. Understandably his son (Tom Ravenscroft) never once mentions his dad's name. Sounds a little like JP and has a little of his appreciation on the electronic music side of things, but is otherwise quite different. Marc Riley is the obvious "new John Peel" but as much as I love him, he's too blindly attached to his mates' music, goes on about the Fall far too much for someone who was in the Fall, even plays his own records. In fact he might be responsible for the wave these last few years of bands (just about) breaking through on the alternative scene who all sound like the Fall. I can't stand any of them. With Riley, it's a third his mates, a third Fall-like music and a third stuff that's more interesting IMO. With of course excellent patter getting a lot of us through weekday evenings so I don't want to come off too judgemental. He's just obviously no JP (who also played his mates' music a lot).

For some reason I felt like watching Eurovision last night. It was good fun. Some surprisingly half decent tunes.

It was hilarious that we got 0 points, but entirely to be expected - as a country we’ve been completely awful neighbours for the last several years. If it was a clear belter of a song, that might have been different, perhaps. But it wasn’t. One would have to be a bit of an idiot IMO to not see it coming, or to be indignant or offended.

Amanda Holden made a jingoistic bellend of herself, and by extension the rest of us, IMO, when she claimed not to know the difference between the French and Dutch words she’d just read out. Perfect encapsulation of arrogant, tone deaf, bungling Britain on the international stage.

Otherwise, good fun. Winning song not that great but French & Swiss entries plus a couple of others actually not that bad. Germans taking it about as seriously as appropriate. Might even watch it again one of the years.

Amanda Holden made a jingoistic bellend of herself, and by extension the rest of us, IMO, when she claimed not to know the difference between the French and Dutch words she’d just read out. Perfect encapsulation of arrogant, tone deaf, bungling Britain on the international stage.

Oh dear. Par for the course I suppose. :(

Bill Bailey has offered to do next years UK entry…

Yes please! That I would watch. :)

advertisement

Back