advertisement

Curmudgeon Corner

Yay, my favourite thread is back.
  • The incorrect use of 'myself' by TV types, as in 'Steve and myself will be...'. You don't say 'Myself will be...' do you?
  • (This is probably a repeat but it's getting even more common) 'Sort of' uselessly peppering sentences too. Listen to male BBC Breakfast presenters and Adam Frost, who stands in for Monty on Gardeners' World.

• The incorrect use of 'myself' by TV types, as in 'Steve and myself will be...'. You don't say 'Myself will be...' do you?
  • (This is probably a repeat but it's getting even more common) 'Sort of' uselessly peppering sentences too. Listen to male BBC Breakfast presenters and Adam Frost, who stands in for Monty on Gardeners' World.

Definitely agree with the first.

I like Adam Frost, and he's an excellent stand in for Monty, but I do find the way he breaks up his sentences slightly distracting. I've never heard commas made so audible.

Not sure you're supposed to rejoice on this thread (but I empathise.....:))

Yes, this pisses me off too, but it's not just TV personalities; it's EVERYONE (who is ill-educated). Myself and yourself. Themselves, herself and himself are, luckily, impossible to bugger up.

Example: 'My wife and myself' is pretty bad, but 'Myself and my wife' is doubly so, as it relegates t'other half to the scullery, in effect. There are a number of erroneous variations on this theme.

Big poster for an annual local fair states, every year, 'Antique Fair'. Really/ How old is the fair, then? My daily paper yesterday made a similar error in confusing the adjective with the (pl) noun

I do wonder, sometimes, if other alphabetically based languages are similarly mangled grammatically or syntactically to such a degree.

Appalling, isn't it. Everyone should know by now that in the context of antiques or pub food the word is spelled 'fayre'.

Ha ha! With food, it's 'fare', shirley(!) Re. 'Antiques Fayre', my local one calls it 'fair', but it is Norwich, after all. Within the context of antique pub food, the jury's out.

Ha ha! With food, it's 'fare', shirley(!) Re. 'Antiques Fayre', my local one calls it 'fair', but it is Norwich, after all. Within the context of antique pub food, the jury's out.
Prefer my pub food to be a bit fresher rather than antique

Ha ha! With food, it's 'fare', shirley(!)

sign.JPG

That concludes the case for the prosecution, m’lud.

I like the vaguely apostrophe-shaped steam arising from beneath the lid, tantalisingly placed so it might or might not be after the 'r' in 'Brewers'.

That concludes the case for the prosecution, m’lud.

Don't agree with Joe re. 'accidentally deliberate' apostrophe, because the sign is totally inaccurate. 'Fayre' is a 'ye olde' faux word for 'fair' and has no connection with food. If they got that wrong, I'd be amazed to see an accurately placed apostrophe. I doubt they could organise a 'postrophe in a brewery. Actually had a reasonable curry there a few years back.

Don't agree with Joe re. 'accidentally deliberate' apostrophe, because the sign is totally inaccurate. 'Fayre' is a 'ye olde' faux word for 'fair' and has no connection with food. If they got that wrong, I'd be amazed to see an accurately placed apostrophe. I doubt they could organise a 'postrophe in a brewery. Actually had a reasonable curry there a few years back.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fayre

an old-fashioned spelling of fare, used to talk about the type of food served somewhere:
a chance to sample fine local fayre

hth

Well, my New O.E.D. simply has it as 'pseudo-archaic sp. of fair'.

Can't read your Cambridge version because of the annoying cookie panels, unfortunately. These are another thing which I submit to this thread. Yes, I know it was done without one's knowledge in the past, but what you don't know........

If this is place for pedants, my ire is irked at the continual overuse of the phrase ‘existential crisis’ no one has problems any more, everything sounds more ominous when it’s a ‘existential crisis’

advertisement

Back