advertisement

Just my Imagination...?

musicman56

50 years hifi & vinyl junkie
So, after a period of leaving my CD5 XS powered on (since the switch is on the back panel and difficult to access), I decided to turn it off. I rarely listen to CDs these days as I have reverted to vinyl. I also switched off the HiCap that's been acting as a second power supply.

Now here's the thing. The SQ of my remaining phono input (LP12/Ittok/Krystal) has suddenly become much better, more detailed etc. No, I thought, this can't really be happening. But I listened again this morning and there is definitely something improved about the sound of vinyl.

Perhaps I should add that the rest of the system is Naim 82(with Witchhat Superlink)/Supercap/250/Keilidhs.

Am I going mad or is this 'just my imagination...running away with me'?

Realistically there will always be some degree of EMF from every device that is plugged in and running. The most likely place you have to pick this up and amplify it to a level that is audible (even if only just) would be the phono stage due to the high gain, so this is a perfectly reasonable thing to suggest is happening. Of course, it might indicate an earthing failure with your arm, or something like that, so it might actually be telling you that your deck and phono stage need checking.

Realistically there will always be some degree of EMF from every device that is plugged in and running. The most likely place you have to pick this up and amplify it to a level that is audible (even if only just) would be the phono stage due to the high gain, so this is a perfectly reasonable thing to suggest is happening. Of course, it might indicate an earthing failure with your arm, or something like that, so it might actually be telling you that your deck and phono stage need checking.
Thanks for the info. I'm considering having the Karousel fitted to my LP12 so I'll have it checked out then.

advertisement

Back