advertisement

New gas boilers banned 2025

As mentioned above, I've never been on holiday and I am unable to appreciate why anyone sees it as essential or even a right. Something else that has come to be normal only since well after WW2.
I don't think many people see a holiday as essential or as a right. Most are like me, and see it as an enjoyment. And over the last twenty months I've missed my holidays very much.

I don't think many people see a holiday as essential or as a right. Most are like me, and see it as an enjoyment.

They must have gone a VERY long way out of their way to find people to interview about it then. People double booking is, apparently, common, so that come weeks X and X+1, they can choose (or not), and screw at least one hotel (or whatever).

As I have said, I am biased - the whole concept of ploughing money into holidays seems more than absurd to me, but whatever floats your boat.

No it shouldn’t.
4x4 SUVs should be paying far more than hybrid city cars,

Just increase fuel duty. That way, the more fuel you use, the more you pay. The fact you use more because you do the miles or drive a car with a decent sized engine, doesn't matter.

It's also a helluva lot cheaper and easier to implement than some complex tracker / pay-as-you drive system.

That's got legs, disproportionally punishes the less well off. Easy money for the govt, been a few years since the fuel duty escalator last gave us a kicking. With electric cars getting cheaper to make and new i/c engines banned in a few years it's not necessary.

For heat pump heating (& cooling) to be of any practical use, the building needs to be highly efficient at keeping heat in - ie, no draughts, super well insulated / sealed & also probably run whole house air extract with heat recovery. Then it is an excellent choice. All of that happening is not exactly cheap. Speaking from experience!

The house in question was built in 1776 and while it was renovated to a decent standard in 2004 I think it's still some way away from the likes of air or ground source heating being viable options.

That's got legs, disproportionally punishes the less well off.

Apologies, I didn't have the stats to hand so wasn't aware the less well off (compared to who) are more likely to have cars with high fuel consumption or have jobs / lifestyles that need them drive further than the more well off.

Easy money for the govt, been a few years since the fuel duty escalator last gave us a kicking. With electric cars getting cheaper to make and new i/c engines banned in a few years it's not necessary.

That's OK, when they come in the tech will be more advanced and they'll use your smart meter / interrogate your car to identify car charging and tax you accordingly.

Combi boilers have become more efficient and apart from cheap junk, reliability has improved. If new gas boilers are banned and the only option is repair then more gas will be burned.

Today I've leased a storage unit and bought 23 second hand gas boilers (it's a start ....for my pension fund) - prices are on the up already....it'll be better than bitcoin!

Yeah..only a short term lease needed, less than 4 years!

Considering another plan too - to set up a company converting all those badly fitted fake chimneys into real ones...think that could be a real go-er as well?

How do you propose that people living in Canada and the northern US states heat their homes ? Air source heat pumps are ineffective below freezing, and ground source heat pumps are very expensive to install and retrofit into existing homes. A condensing gas boiler is currently about as green as you can get. I think this will not be an easy problem to deal with. Greening transportation seems like a much easier task, when much of the country is driving around in 15-20mpg pickup trucks and SUVs.

Ah, a stick shaker. So do you propose that nothing should be done simply because heating for a small percentage of the global population might be less straightforward? Fossil fuels are going to be around for a long time, what matters is getting off most of it as quickly as possible.

Condensing combi gas boiler here. Big improvement over old gas boiler.

Looked into electric only combi but even with 100A house supply would be pushing it. But am thinking "DIY hybrid" might be greener and practical e.g. electric showers, electric instant hot water in bathroom. Will be more expensive than gas but greener (using green electricity).

For heat pump heating (& cooling) to be of any practical use, the building needs to be highly efficient at keeping heat in - ie, no draughts, super well insulated / sealed & also probably run whole house air extract with heat recovery. Then it is an excellent choice. All of that happening is not exactly cheap. Speaking from experience!
Which goes head on against advice that buildings should be much better ventilated against COVID and similar.
Every house will have HEPA filters.

Before the fire goes out, I’ll be on a one way ticket to Switzerland.

Considering the size of the human population, I think it is time to reassess attitudes to voluntary euthanasia.

Given that my future is certainly going to be in poverty till retirement and poverty afterwards, I don't have a wish to live beyond perhaps seventy-five, and of course I may well not last that long. If my body does not conk out I would certainly consider the VE route in due course, but would rather it could happen in the UK without causing anyone any trouble, or so called aiders and abetters possibly being subject to prosecution.

Just a thought. Best wishes from George

The house in question was built in 1776 and while it was renovated to a decent standard in 2004 I think it's still some way away from the likes of air or ground source heating being viable options.

i am not sure whether what sonority says is completely correct. For maximum efficiency, sure but our 1905 built single walled >250m2 house was refurbished in 2007 with double glazing, new roof and an underfloor heating system was installed powered by a ground source heat pump.

the houuse is never cold and is completely comfortable in every room, even durung harsh winter conditions when on some days it never gets above -10 deg C in the day.

Yes, it is a 4 borehole system so quite heavy duty but heating bills are not completely crazy considering the size of the house.

Given that my future is certainly going to be in poverty till retirement and poverty afterwards, I don't have a wish to live beyond perhaps seventy-five, and of course I may well not last that long.
Singapore employ local pensioners to do the DDD jobs in the airports etc. There is no adequate private sector safety net in SE Asian countries. I was shocked to see one cleaner who caught COVID from an incoming passenger, was 88 years old

i am not sure whether what sonority says is completely correct. For maximum efficiency, sure but our 1905 built single walled >250m2 house was refurbished in 2007 with double glazing, new roof and an underfloor heating system was installed powered by a ground source heat pump.

If the house I'm in the process of buying hadn't already been renovated then I think it'd have been a more palatable option to put in the ground source system, however because it's already been done the costs and disruption would be very considerable and there is no chance of those costs being recovered in any reasonable term.

At some point we'll probably be building another house at the bottom of the garden and for that I will consider using a ground source system as it definitely makes sense for a new build - especially where you can go with a very high level of insulation.

More nonsensical thinking in a completely pointless and futile attempt to stop a non-existent problem. Hare-brained thinking which if implemented would take us back to the dark ages. Very rarely have I heard such absolute and utter misguided twaddle in my entire life. The whole emphasis on CO2 is completely wrong. It doesn't trap heat (it's physical properties don't allow it to), and even if it could, there isn't enough of it to make the blindest bit of difference to the planet's temperature. The climate does change, but it's in natural cycles of approximately 180,000 years, humans have absolutely no effect on it at all.

smart meters don’t save a penny themselves.

alternative gas boiler?
Try hydrogen.

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hydrogen

I think this is the future. Hydrogen boilers to replace gas, and greater local-level use of renewables such as solar, wave and wind. This is a real path to a net-zero home.

I don't think big oil is going to let this happen so quickly though...

There are also some interesting breakthroughs in nuclear fusion, I think we could be less than 10yrs away from achieving net electricity output.

advertisement

Back