advertisement

New gas boilers banned 2025

apparently hydrogen will not be in wide supply . How will hydrogen get to the house ? Will they have to spend billions digging up the roads

Hydrogen is compatible with all but burners in the gas system (as was the case when the move town to natural gas happened). They even know that the smell currently added to natural gas, works with hydrogen.

The smart petro-chem's companies - Shell et al, are already ploughing their money into hydrogen.

All the UK needs is MASSIVE investment in electricity generation (but very little in the electricity grid).

I can't see it happening. There really aren't any realistic alternatives on the near horizon.

Yep, that's what I think too. Much that I would love to have access to a lower carbon energy source for my house, and much that I would like the Govt to ban new gas boilers from 2025, what is available in my area as an alternative to gas powered central heating can be sourced only as a very bespoke (and hence expensive) solution, and (according to my plumbing brother in law who's into this kind of stuff) is ground source heating. It's not even on the radar for most wealthy householders never mind the more typical punter.

I do believe there is a need to get rid of gas boilers but in the short term at least as pressing is a need to stop making gas boilers with a less than 10 year design life. They are the ultimate crap white electrical and at £2k a time they waste a tonne of resources every time you are forced to get rid. In the olden days when these things were just jumped up kettles with a pump rather than being reliant on fancy circuit boards they lasted a whole lot longer which is far more sustainable. It's a balance of lifetime emissions and the current crop just don't cut it.

No different to when the change happened town to natural gas - change the burners - it was free with town to natural.

How old are you, do you not remember the change? I certainly do.
ah might have been fairly young to remember it . Some interesting stuff on vaillant website but BBC seems to imply only 11% of population can have hydrogen as supply limited.

Got to get a new boiler this summer hence the concern and as you may have guessed I have a fair few boilers to look after and it does not look a cheap option

Yep, that's what I think too. Much that I would love to have access to a lower carbon energy source for my house, and much that I would like the Govt to ban new gas boilers from 2025, what is available in my area as an alternative to gas powered central heating can be sourced only as a very bespoke (and hence expensive) solution, and (according to my plumbing brother in law who's into this kind of stuff) is ground source heating. It's not even on the radar for most wealthy householders never mind the more typical punter.

I do believe there is a need to get rid of gas boilers but in the short term at least as pressing is a need to stop making gas boilers with a less than 10 year design life. They are the ultimate crap white electrical and at £2k a time they waste a tonne of resources every time you are forced to get rid. In the olden days when these things were just jumped up kettles with a pump rather than being reliant on fancy circuit boards they lasted a whole lot longer which is far more sustainable. It's a balance of lifetime emissions and the current crop just don't cut it.
Quite
I just changed a fully working 47 year old boiler for a new one.
It was inefficient and we needed some other work doing on the house so changed it for a combi.
I doubt my new one will last that long.

It also takes electricity to generate hydrogen of course...

Easiest way yes, but there are other ways. Hence my comment - invest in industrial off-grid generation, but from renewables, which are frequently most relaible/efficent MILES from the grid anyway. Lay one pipe, not gazillions of miles of (overhead) cable.

Easiest way yes, but there are other ways. Hence my comment - invest in industrial off-grid generation, but from renewables, which are frequently most relaible/efficent MILES from the grid anyway.

The trouble is competing demands. I don't think you'll get capacity for the wide uptake in electric cars at the same time as changing over domestic heating whatever is done. You are talking massive investment and in nuclear too all to be ready by near enough tomorrow...

This is a suggestion, not yet implemented. Anyway - it would not mean that existing boilers would be illegal - only that you could not replace with a new one. The report does not say you could not have an oil boiler - which could be sort of feasible for a lot of folks.

By that time you would hope that renewable energy was plentiful enough that we would run various alternatives. For us in a listed house in a conservation area in a town centre, the option of, say, an air sourced heat pump would be a joke - it is just not feasible to install underfloor heating at any reasonable expense. So we would probably have to go an electric boiler and retain the radiators. Local planning have already nixed any suggestion of solar panels too.

In reality we will have moved to another house for our old age before we get to that point, so it will be future problem as our gas boiler is only 4 years old now.
All fossil fuel boilers, including oil, will be banned.

The trouble is competing demands. I don't think you'll get capacity for the wide uptake in electric cars at the same time as changing over domestic heating whatever is done. You are talking massive investment and in nuclear too all to be ready by near enough tomorrow...

Preaching to the converted.

Up-thread I do some dirty maths that suggests that moving away from gas to electricity would require a 30-fold increase in electricity grid capability.
I have searched but cannot find a kWhr figure for UK domestic liquid feul consumption for transport, but I suspect that it is is totally HORRIBLE compared to domestic, home energy use. So, how much would the UK electicity grid capability have to be uprated by? 100 fold? 200 fold? More?

If I can find details for domestic liquid fuel consumption, I'll post details.....

There is NO option but nuclear, ultimately.

advertisement

Back