advertisement

Dutch & Dutch 8c’s

You should see the list of bikes and cars I've had over the years :D ...... I was tempted to try the D&D 8c's before going for the Aavik but decided to stick with my passive speakers due to the new cabinets still being in production. Then shortly after getting the U-300, we decided to move/buy an apartment in Southwark, and the Mrs' been hankering for a Schnauzer puppy since forever, so thought active with DSP/Digital should be explored again and the 8c's have been on the hit list for a few years so thought now's as good as time as ever!

Well I'm going to be advertising my passive speakers soon (including/excluding the new cabs) so hopefully they'll return some money :D

You should see the list of bikes and cars I've had over the years :D ...... I was tempted to try the D&D 8c's before going for the Aavik but decided to stick with my passive speakers due to the new cabinets still being in production. Then shortly after getting the U-300, we decided to move/buy an apartment in Southwark, and the Mrs' been hankering for a Schnauzer puppy since forever, so thought active with DSP/Digital should be explored again and the 8c's have been on the hit list for a few years so thought now's as good as time as ever!

Hopefully it will take away the need to upgrade, a new family pet will take up much of your time, music may take a back seat until your puppy grows up a little.

I'm very impressed with the 8c's TBH. From memory and different houses/rooms, they are possibly the best active speakers I've owned and/or heard.

Last edited:
So just made a 'Harmon Studio' target curve.

30 6
40 5.9
50 5.5
63 4.9
80 3.7
100 2.5
125 1.3
160 0.6
200 0.2
250 0
1000 0
32000 0

In filter tasks I set 'Match Range' from 20Hz to 500Hz

Results:

Left

Right

Some results from the above, goes to show the room and seating position is fairly decent. Really like these results BTW, think I'll stop here for while and digest the differences. I like the way it doesn't require any further fettling in Lanspeaker.

Left

Right

The vertical scale in your plots is too wide. Narrowing it to the standard 50dB allows for a better and more comparable visualisation of the response.

After Lee set my 8c’s up I thought I’d learn REW, I downloaded it, had a play, got confused and never returned to it. I’ve decided it’s not my thing.

I have 4 different curve profiles set in my 8c’s (flat, 7db slope, then a couple in between. Tend to just stick with my preference of 7db drop. Nice to have the option though should I fancy a change.

Didn't know you could set different curves up in speakers themselves!

There are two options. The first relies on the fact that the speakers each have 24 filter slots while most filter sets only use a handful of these slots. You can fill up the spare slots with filter sets which target different curves and just turn the individual filters on or off to switch between different filter sets. It is clunky but it works. The second option is to use the new configuration backup and restore feature. You can now back up the entire speaker configuration inside lanspeaker.com. So you can create one backup with your first set of filters and a second backup with another set of filters and so on, and then restore whichever one you want to use as your current configuration. A further benefit of this approach is that the backups also include the shelving filter values and other settings. It is still not as convenient or immediate as flipping between presets on the miniDSP SHD, but it works and it does not require any additional hardware.

That does sound a little clunky, Ill stick with either the 'Harmon All Listeners' that you posted yesterday or the 'Harmon Studio' i created a few posted up. Then just enjoy what they do :)

Interestingly, using the 'Harmon Studio' target curve from yesterday (see below) and opening up the target range to 20hz to 600Hz, found another correction to the left.

30 6
40 5.9
50 5.5
63 4.9
80 3.7
100 2.5
125 1.3
160 0.6
200 0.2
250 0
1000 0
32000 0

Results:

Left

Right

Found it interesting to have a more direct comparison to the passives they replace too, not using any filters, only the room boundary distance settings. Shows what a flat fr output (other than the very slight downward tilt towards 20hz) sounds like in the room. As long as the room itself isn’t terrible that can sound remarkably good, as well as showing up differences in output to what they’re replacing, more an apples to apples comparison

No, not for a while, the current build will be taken back to the shop at some point for final waveguide fitting and finishing, will set up for a listen then and might have a play around adding a few subs to them again. Could help decide what to with them eventually, prob keep them till I move and have another room when I remember how good they are :)

What's the rest of your system @Knipester ?
Didn't know you could set different curves up in speakers themselves!

Learning REW is easy, plenty of youtube tutorials :)

I’ve retired from learning REW but thanks for trying!

I have a auralic g1 digital front end fed by qobuz/roon & I also have two turntables.., LP12 & thorens td124mkii

I just have the 4x sets of curves named in the 24 filters. Switch them on and off depending on what sound I want. Not a regular thing tbh

advertisement

Back