advertisement

'The songs that made you cry'

There have been so many 'tearjerkers' through the years! Those that spring to mind:

Free Will and Testament - Robert Wyatt
Sound & Vision - David Bowie
Moments of Pleasure - Kate Bush
Run Run Se Fue P'al Norte - Violeta Parra
Lonely Woman - Ornette Coleman
West End Blues - Louis Armstrong
Julia - The Beatles
Girl - The Beatles
Piazza Grande - Lucio Dalla
Everything Merges With the Night - Brian Eno

Could keep going on really, left them at ten...

Please do not ask my why or indeed mock me but 'Hunted by a Freak' by Mowai gets me. I haven't heard it since the last ATP festival.

Also, if the wind is blowing in the right direction a few tunes from 'Everybody Digs Bill Evans' can do it for me too.

:edit: Father and Son by Cat Stevens.

I was at a cremation ceremony yesterday and they played various sorts of musics.
But the one that made me shiver, almost cry was Still Loving You.

What a great song this is.

And yet the sound system was so bad.

Boulder to Birmingham by Emmylou Harris
Saw her performing it on a recent documentary on iplayer....still moves me especially when put in context of why she wrote it

Motorcycle Emptiness - Manics , long story but it reminds me of my Dad

Fade into you - Mazzy Star, has always been a fave tune of mine, two years ago when my wife's Dad was terminally ill in hospital this was playing on the radio as he passed away, can't listen to it now without blubbering

Joan Baez - Hello in There
Mary Hopkin - Those were the days
Peter Sarstedt - Where do you go to (my lovely)
Bob Dylan - Sara

Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate "In The Heart of The Moon"
Even though I don't know what the songs are about!

I played 'Bailero' by Frederica von Stade at the weekend, and was in absolute floods.

Have you heard Kiri Te Kanawa's take? I first heard it whilst watching a NZ film many years back. Perfect accompaniment for the scene and storyline and indelibly etched into my brain. Naturally I sought out the CD at the time.

VmtUSaO.png

advertisement

Back