advertisement

Nikon Z6ii vs Z7i

(I've been rambling again - sorry!) :D

Was in the middle of some long-winded post but gave up as it was frightfully dull (as usual). Anyway, I've been having a clear out of stuff which has left a much tidier kit bag.

In comes a little used Z7 with the new Nifty Fifty 1.8 S. I considered the 24-70 f4 but I have the Oly 12-40 Pro to cover that base. Quite a good deal from MPB, I have it on 14 day sale or return. The bit that made me wince was the 100 quid for 64gb XQD card. :(

This will hopefully be my landscape/portrait camera with mu43 doing everything else.

keep us posted
I've just nearly decided almost to maybe keep the canon GX5 mk2 for snappy stuff and swap the D610 for a Z5 and 24-70 f4.
nearly
well, until next week anyway
:)

Was in the middle of some long-winded post but gave up as it was frightfully dull (as usual). Anyway, I've been having a clear out of stuff which has left a much tidier kit bag.

In comes a little used Z7 with the new Nifty Fifty 1.8 S. I considered the 24-70 f4 but I have the Oly 12-40 Pro to cover that base. Quite a good deal from MPB, I have it on 14 day sale or return. The bit that made me wince was the 100 quid for 64gb XQD card. :(

This will hopefully be my landscape/portrait camera with mu43 doing everything else.

Excellent! :D

We want all of the details (trust me, we won't find them boring!). Did you try the Z7 against the GFX?

Lefty

Will be really interested in your thoughts on the Z7 - especially if you feel the sensor is worth the price of admission. I am awaiting the return details to send the Z6ii I bought back - purchased from Nextdaydeal and they are dragging the feet sending me their returns address. Anyway, I digress.

Thanks fellas - I'm genuinely excited for tomorrow. Been hearing Good Things about the 50-1.8 S too.

@Lefty - afraid I didn't get chance to have a play with a GFX. I so want to give one a go, and it's a camera that ticks many boxes for me after all. I've even made a (very!) short list of glass I'd love to couple with it (the 45 and 110) but the cost is so eye-watering - although the quality is undeniably brilliant - I don't think it'll be viable.

Present hope is that the Z7 will live with a couple of high quality primes, with the Oly taking the spot as the do-it-all.

Thanks fellas - I'm genuinely excited for tomorrow. Been hearing Good Things about the 50-1.8 S too.

@Lefty - afraid I didn't get chance to have a play with a GFX. I so want to give one a go, and it's a camera that ticks many boxes for me after all. I've even made a (very!) short list of glass I'd love to couple with it (the 45 and 110) but the cost is so eye-watering - although the quality is undeniably brilliant - I don't think it'll be viable.

Present hope is that the Z7 will live with a couple of high quality primes, with the Oly taking the spot as the do-it-all.

Once in your head, the GFX itch will need scratching, it took me two years from a loaner to investment, it just bubbles away in the back of your mind.........

Once in your head, the GFX itch will need scratching, it took me two years from a loaner to investment, it just bubbles away in the back of your mind.........

I was like that with the Leica - an itch that I'd wanted to scratch for many years. It's out of my system now though; enjoyed using it? Yes, absolutely. Would I have another? Probably not, and even if I did, I quite fancy something like a Q.

I will get my hands on a GFX at some point though - Wex rent them out so will most likely try that route first. The Z7 is more of a known quantity so if I don't exactly hit the ground running with it, it'll be a brisk walk. It should be here around 3pm. :)

I was like that with the Leica - an itch that I'd wanted to scratch for many years. It's out of my system now though; enjoyed using it? Yes, absolutely. Would I have another? Probably not, and even if I did, I quite fancy something like a Q.

I will get my hands on a GFX at some point though - Wex rent them out so will most likely try that route first. The Z7 is more of a known quantity so if I don't exactly hit the ground running with it, it'll be a brisk walk. It should be here around 3pm. :)

5 hours. How's the fingernails? :)

Sounds like a good plan to me. The cost is also one of the major reasons I haven't gone for the GFX. I just can't justify it. (Sadly)

Here it is...

Z7 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Off down to the woods later :)

Excellent :cool:

Top choice of lens too. That 50/1.8 is as good as they come. It saw off my Sigma 35/1.4 ART, put it that way.

Lefty

so????
In the time you've been in the woods' I've:
Dug a flower bed over; made a new fence; walked and fed the dog; showered; cooked a roast chicken and nearly drunk a bottle of wine.
Where's the pics?! :)

so????
In the time you've been in the woods' I've:
Dug a flower bed over; made a new fence; walked and fed the dog; showered; cooked a roast chicken and nearly drunk a bottle of wine.
Where's the pics?! :)

All in good time ol' chap. :D

Had to take our eldest to rowing in Newark so did a detour via Stapleford Woods on the way home. Images just coming off the card now.

Sounds like a good plan to me. The cost is also one of the major reasons I haven't gone for the GFX. I just can't justify it. (Sadly)

Excellent :cool:

Top choice of lens too. That 50/1.8 is as good as they come. It saw off my Sigma 35/1.4 ART, put it that way.

Lefty

Watching Hugh Brownstone last night who's clearly a big fan of the 50-1.8 S. From first impressions, this lens is an absolute beast (in a good way). Some folk seem to complain about its price - sure it ain't cheap, and of course people like to see '1.4' for this kind of money but 2/3rds of a stop difference (or thereabouts) is hardly a yawning chasm.

I need a new computer though, I'm convinced my poor old iMac was putting up the white flag just now. It doesn't seem to like 45MP files very much.

The 50mm f1.8S is a bargain for the quality it delivers. Especially with the steep discounts around Christmas time. I got mine for £439.

That's a very good price for what it gives - got mine used from MPB for about that and have no complaints at all.

Worth noting that the Sony Zeiss 55-1.8 Sonnar retails for £679 (579 with cashback at the moment). I've owned the 55 and yes it's a very fine optic, but the Nikkor is on a higher level, no question. One very special bit of kit.

advertisement

Back