advertisement

Technics 1200g - Any long term users?

The Achromat made a small difference on mine, as did an Audio-Technica magnesium headshell, but the biggest improvement came from the KAB arm damper.
I couldn't quite justify the KAB price but got in touch with this guy on ebay, who at the time was offering a similar product for the old 1210

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28422079...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

He basically, I guess, 3D printed a black plastic version based off measurements I gave him of the 1210GR arm base and sent it over for me to try. Definitely made an audible difference.

Also have the Achromat here but can't definitively say it made any difference.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This is all great to hear and rekindles my desire to listen to a G.

The VTA does seem to be an issue with all the new decks though - inc the GR. That said i do also have that problem with my original 1210 using an AT540, even with a 5mm acromat installed.
Maybe they just used the similar template for the mechanism, in terms of adjustment range, on the G ?
Its also shame they used a blue strobe light instead of the classic red and give the option for the deck in black, but that is nit picking really.

Has anyone here tried a direct comparison between a 1210 (modded or not) and the 1200G ? I would be keen to know see if the leap is as much as most people seem to indicate?

Also for the people who switched out the stock arm to a Jelco, was the change just to deal with the VTA issue, or did it bring an audible improvement ove the magnesium arm ?

I couldn't quite justify the KAB price but got in touch with this guy on ebay, who at the time was offering a similar product for the old 1210

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28422079...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

He basically, I guess, 3D printed a black plastic version based off measurements I gave him of the 1210GR arm base and sent it over for me to try. Definitely made an audible difference.

Also have the Achromat here but can't definitively say it made any difference.

Did you buy one ? I was also thinking the same thing and wondered if anyone has tried these vs the KAB version ? Another issue now may be how Brexit effects such purchases ?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Did you buy one ? I was also thinking the same thing and wondered if anyone has tried these vs the KAB version ? Another issue now may be how Brexit effects such purchases ?

I bought a Mk5 ftom KAB and was gutted to discover the platter had a wobble, especially given the website blurb states that decks are checked for planarity. I wouldn't recommend them.

This is all great to hear and rekindles my desire to listen to a G.

The VTA does seem to be an issue with all the new decks though - inc the GR. That said i do also have that problem with my original 1210 using an AT540, even with a 5mm acromat installed.
Maybe they just used the similar template for the mechanism, in terms of adjustment range, on the G ?
Its also shame they used a blue strobe light instead of the classic red and give the option for the deck in black, but that is nit picking really.

Has anyone here tried a direct comparison between a 1210 (modded or not) and the 1200G ? I would be keen to know see if the leap is as much as most people seem to indicate?

Also for the people who switched out the stock arm to a Jelco, was the change just to deal with the VTA issue, or did it bring an audible improvement ove the magnesium arm ?

I went from the stock arm to a Jelco SA750D to fix the VTA problem , it fixed the problem but was a sideways move . I then went to the Jelco TK950S this brought a huge improvement , detail , soundstage , timbre ect everything improved .
It also looks like it belongs on the Technics so it visually pleasing as well .

Just for fun I went back to the stock arm ( lockdown boredom ) and as nice as it is it is not a patch on the TK950S .

I went from the stock arm to a Jelco SA750D to fix the VTA problem , it fixed the problem but was a sideways move . I then went to the Jelco TK950S this brought a huge improvement , detail , soundstage , timbre ect everything improved .
It also looks like it belongs on the Technics so it visually pleasing as well .

Just for fun I went back to the stock arm ( lockdown boredom ) and as nice as it is it is not a patch on the TK950S .

Ok thanks. interesting to hear. Does bump the cost of your deck up a bit though ?

I bought a 1200MKII a few years back just to have a play around with to see how far it could be tweaked. Having never heard a DD deck before I was taken aback at how good it sounded in stock form, but having improved the platter bearing, dampened the platter, re-wired and dampened the arm, externalised and beefed up the PSU, fitted a super quiet regulator to the motor power supply, fitted Funk BOING feet and changed the mat for an Achromat, I ended up selling my Well Tempered Versalex as I was finding myself enjoying the upgraded 1200 so much. A year later I took the plunge and bought a 1200G and haven't looked back. Apart from being an absolute joy to use, there is no real comparison with the modded 1200MKII. The 1200G is so much more refined. The same signature is still there: Rock solid bass, timing that makes an LP12 sound like a kids toy, but the 1200 was always just a little 'grey' and shut in in the upper frequencies. The 1200G adds finesse, and massively open soundstage both left to right and front to back.

I had contemplated a change of arm with VTA being one of the reasons for it - I ended up fitting a Funk Houdini which sorted out all of the VTA problems and brought about another big step up in performance. The stock arm in combination with the Houdini and my Soundsmith Carmen is nothing short of magical.

He sent me the developmental black plastic one for free and I've stuck with that one. It's taken a while for the Alu ones to appear on ebay and I only noticed them today when responding to this thread. One thing I would say is it took months to arrive from Greece. I'd completely given up on it. He did say the postal service over there was completely screwed due to the pandemic, plus brexit in the mix, so that may have settled down a bit now.

...The VTA does seem to be an issue with all the new decks though - inc the GR. That said i do also have that problem with my original 1210 using an AT540, even with a 5mm acromat installed.

I use the AT540 with the G and the stock 3mm mat. What exactly is the problem I should be having? According to the manual the lowest arm height setting is correct for this cart’s body height.

Ok thanks. interesting to hear. Does bump the cost of your deck up a bit though ?

It does but I still consider it a bargin for the quality it offers .

I use the AT540 with the G and the stock 3mm mat. What exactly is the problem I should be having? According to the manual the lowest arm height setting is correct for this cart’s body height.

It really depends on the height of your cart , at the time I was using a DL103 and even at the Techivs lowest setting ( below zero on my deck ) I couldn't get the arm level . Taller carts may not have this problem .

It does but I still consider it a bargin for the quality it offers .

It really depends on the height of your cart , at the time I was using a DL103 and even at the Techivs lowest setting ( below zero on my deck ) I couldn't get the arm level . Taller carts may not have this problem .

Yes it seems to be that small carts need a thicker mat or a spacer. I was really trying to get an answer from the poster who’s using the same cart as me.

I bought a 1200GR for the office at an office supplies auction, put a stupid bid in and won a BNIB GR, result. I liked it so much I bought the 1200G to go in the main system next to a Gyro. Had a few carts, shells, several mats on both. Not your 540 though. According to AT it is 17.3mm high. The deck is set for 18mm at VTA 1. Following the guide you should be fine with the stock 3mm mat or 5mm Achromat. For the record :) I have not heard SQ differences between the Funk, Techy 3mm or 6mm mats. The Funk attracts much less static in my new home so it was the mat that stuck.

bought a 1200MKII a few years back just to have a play around with to see how far it could be tweaked. Having never heard a DD deck before I was taken aback at how good it sounded in stock form, but having improved the platter bearing, dampened the platter, re-wired and dampened the arm, externalised and beefed up the PSU, fitted a super quiet regulator to the motor power supply, fitted Funk BOING feet and changed the mat for an Achromat, I ended up selling my Well Tempered Versalex as I was finding myself enjoying the upgraded 1200 so much. A year later I took the plunge and bought a 1200G and haven't looked back. Apart from being an absolute joy to use, there is no real comparison with the modded 1200MKII. The 1200G is so much more refined. The same signature is still there: Rock solid bass, timing that makes an LP12 sound like a kids toy, but the 1200 was always just a little 'grey' and shut in in the upper frequencies. The 1200G adds finesse, and massively open soundstage both left to right and front to back.

I had contemplated a change of arm with VTA being one of the reasons for it - I ended up fitting a Funk Houdini which sorted out all of the VTA problems and brought about another big step up in performance. The stock arm in combination with the Houdini and my Soundsmith Carmen is nothing short of magical.

Thats exactly the sort of endorsement i was looking for ! Better continue saving for a G.

That you are almost always bottomed out with the VTA adjustment so makes some of the slimmer carts harder to adjust for. If yours is fine then then thats great, mine was alwasy on the limit, but this was with a 1210 and the GR
i tried.

I would have liked one without all the DJ stuff (strobe, speed controls etc) on it - SL1500G perhaps.
There is a new entry deck, doubt they will do a high end stripped out one as there are the SP10 and SL-1000, spendy but catering to that market
https://www.technics.com/uk/news/461/index.html

Technics is pleased to announce the launch of the new SL-100C Direct Drive Turntable. Featuring the iconic characteristics of Technics turntables, such as the iron-coreless direct drive motor and a high-precision S-shaped aluminium tonearm, it comes in at an even more affordable price point than its award-winning sibling, the SL-1500C.

The SL-100C caught my attention, I think it looks great. Not sure exactly what changes it has compared with the SL-1500C other than no internal phono-stage. (edit: I've just found the link above)

I've had my 1210GR for over a year now and I don't think I'll ever change it, I've just popped an MP-200 on it and I'm very content.

There's a bit of chat over on Steve Hoffman regarding Technics moving manufacturing to Malaysia, I gather folk were trying to grab the last Japan made decks.

advertisement

Back