advertisement

My Phone Appears Close To Death....

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Samsung A3 2016 model.
I've hung on to this phone as it has continued to work pretty well, is not too big..etc.

I replaced the battery myself a couple of years ago. It's one of those where you have to carefully prise the glass back off, using plastic tools, then replace with double sided tape.

So.. I looked at it earlier and it was fine. Next time I looked it appeared to have switched off, as per flat battery. But..it would not switch on, or respond to charging.

Fortunately.. found a fix online, involving holding down several buttons for over 10 seconds..whereupon the thing booted up.

But.... I suspect it's time for a new phone.. so I'm open to ideas for a nice mid priced Android Smart Phone that isnt too big.

Thanks Funk. My first Smart phone was a Moto G ..which was a bit heavy..but otherwise brilliant until I dropped it..so I'm quite favourable towards G phones.

I think most of the current Moto phones are pretty hefty - 6.5" screens and massive batteries so may not fit your size requirement. They're great value though.

Also I do think 'pure' Android is nicer than any other skinned interface I've ever used and the Pixel 4a does pretty much everything very, very well.

I have a Pixel 4 XL and am waiting to see what the Pixel 6 does later this year.

I've got a OnePlus and they're pretty good value overall. I think they do one called a Nord at about that price.
Moto G also great and wife got an Honor (can't remember model) but it was good too.

As you keep your phones, pick one that has a decent security support lifetime. Your old Samsung was abandoned ages ago. Current Samsung have a good story

Moto G7 user here. Small it ain't but it does tablet type duties as well as phoning and for the price I'm very happy with it.

I'd also suggest a google pixel phone - the main benefit for me is that they target Android updates to these phones, so you don't end up on some dodgy old version full of bugs and vulnerabilities. I'm using a Pixel 3a which was larger than I wanted, but there weren't any other options at the time. The Pixel 4a would be my choice today.

We are an all MotoG house. I have a 5S my wife a 7, which I find a bit big. The Model 4 my 5s replaced still serves in the Audio room for use as a Squeezer controller for the HiFi.

Pixel 3a XL here. It's much better than my old Nokia 7 plus. If the camera in the Pixel 6 is a good improvement over the 3a, I'll upgrade.

My Moto G is still providing good service as a streamer for online radio (BBC Sounds) and my current phone is a Nokia something or other. It’s a nice phone, not too big but large enough and cost about £100. I would judge it to be better than the old Moto but it is 5 years newer.

A bit like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08519M1PT/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This is going to be a longish search. I have to admit to liking the slim metal and glass construction of the Samsung.. even though it is very impractical and slippery in the hand without a decent protective cover. I've tried several times to look at the current Samsung range. They do themselves no favours by having a massive and confusing range of poorly described product.

Go for an LG. You can tap the screen to wake them up. This is the most useful feature, you don't realise how intuitive and useful this feature is until you don't have it.

Like you Mull, I have been more than satisfied with an ancient A3 despite caveats posted above about end of support and so on. All the new phones available seem huge in comparison.

When it got flaky just a couple of months ago I bought another from here -

https://www.backmarket.co.uk/search?q=samsung A3&ga_search=samsung A3

It was described as mint (and is), was actually a 2017 model rather than my original 2016, and is unlocked so any sim you like. It came with a 12 month warranty, charger and new after market earbuds. I have no other experience of buying through this portal but my single experience was good.

Jim

No Apple? I bought a nearly new SE from Music Magpie recently, with 20% off from their eBay shop - well under £300. I've had the 1st gen for 4 years and it's still going strong, although the battery's not what it was. Had had Androids previously but they never seem to last more than 2 years.

Another vote for the 4a here

Very similar to the thread that was up on here a good few weeks back.

For the cost; you'll not do better than the Pixel 4a

The 4XL for me has to be one of the best Android phones ever made; miss mine but because they don't do dual sim, it went and was replaced with the Samsung S21 Ultra 5G

If you don't want to spend silly money; then the Xiaomi range of phones are very hard to beat. Good specs too

I bought the 10T Lite for my wife for Christmas and she loves it; she had a Samusng A5 2017 before that and she's so much happier with the larger screen:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JMCXHZ9/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Go for an LG. You can tap the screen to wake them up. This is the most useful feature, you don't realise how intuitive and useful this feature is until you don't have it.

How do you prevent it waking up in your pocket?

I bought a second-hand S8. Looks as good as new and plenty fast enough for all of the stuff I need.

advertisement

Back