advertisement

Technics 1200g - Any long term users?

I've just ordered a spacer for my Audio Technica cartridge. I'll see if this makes a difference once the VTA is dialled in although it is pretty close at the moment as far as I can tell.

I have read that a lot of users change or add a mat (the Achromat seems quite popular) but I have been listening to the 1200G all weekend and at the moment don't want change the current presentation.

So long as the spacer doesn't fundemantally change what I am hearing then I will be very happy.

The SL1200G arrived today (after a 1200GR arrived by mistake yesterday).

Set it up this afternoon after listening to the Gyro this morning. First thing is the build quality on the 1200G is incredible - it is heavy and very solid. And really that is an understatement. Makes the Gyro seem flimsy by comparison.

So how does it sound? To my ears astounding. A revelation in fact. It is vastly different to the Gyro and makes me think that I mustn’t have set that turntable up properly even though I spent hours tweaking it. It sounds really how it feels - solid and weighty and with an inky black background that didn’t know vinyl was capable of.

I need to play around with sorting the VTA out because the height of the PTG33/ii isn’t quite tall enought but even with this compromise the sound quality is incredible.

As you can tell I am very happy - I cannot imagine at the moment needing anything more than this.

Any further thoughts Robby?:)

Indeed. It continues to amaze with a solidity and wide, three dimensional soundstage that is astounding. It can also do subtle with all the classical and acoustic music I have listened to.

The closest I can think of in making music very “present” was a VPI Classic I had around 10 years ago. With rock music the VPI made drums sound like sledgehammers on occasion. The Technics can do the same with some AC/DC but with better drive.

So I continue to be impressed.

Funnily enough, every time my daughter (11 years old) come into the lounge with music playing she has danced around like never before. Maybe it is a DJ deck after all!

Hi
Just ordered a 1200g - very excited. Considering changing the mat. Do you guys have any suggestions? Cheers , Joakim

The Auditorium 23 Hommage mat available from Tom Tom seems good - another member here put me on to it after posting a pic of his G. If nothing else, its grey colour looks really good on the Technics.

Long term user ? I have had mine about 6 months now , and Yes I rate it highly
It will remain as it is , not getting involved in upgrading what is allready a masterpiece
:rolleyes::D

Had my SL1200g for over a year now and it’s a thing of utter joy and reliability. The engineering and build quality is astounding and I’ve never had an issue with the stock tonearm. The 3 tweaks I installed were; better phono leads, better power lead and better cartridge wires. That’s it.

It outperformed the LP12 I had (which was twice the price!) even before my three little tweaks, mentioned above. I don’t think about, or lust, after any other Turntable now (except maybe the Technics SL1000r, Lol!)

Thankyou Technics for the best source I’ve owned in 30 years of HiFi!...I could kiss you!!

Another 1200 G (actually GAE) owner here. Lovely deck. Exudes precision and quality. Operation is completely silent and switches are smooth with a soft click. When you push the off switch the platter stops instantly (at least to these old eyes). Last night I was listening to Leonard Cohen, Nat King Cole, Ed Sheeren, Chet Atkins, and The Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals. Wow, just entrancing!

Had my 1200G for about a year now and it’s been faultless but I’m thinking of getting a 5mm Achromat for it out of curiosity. I read on the Achromat website that I should get the standard style 5mm mat without lip, and use the height adjuster on the 1200G to raise the arm as needed. My cart is an AT VM540ML and the height is on its lowest setting: 0. The stock mat is 3mm thick, so presumably I can just raise the arm column 2mm and use the 5mm mat and carry on as usual with no further adjustment? Knowing me, there’ll be some weird problem that arises and I’d have been better to just leave it all stock! Any suggestions?

Just over a year & still enjoying the 1200G a few recent mods Achromat , Ortofon Windfeld Ti & Vertere SG-1HB Super Groove
mains isolation transformer & Vertere mains cable
Funk boing feet & Houdini still to be fitted

1200G owner for almost 3 years, picked up new for £2.5k from Richer Sounds.

Started off with the stock arm/headshell and a Nagaoka MP-500 transferred from my previous Analogue Works TT1. Ran with this combo until about a year ago when I tried a couple of MC carts and different mats.

Settled on a Puresound Tenuto mat, Audio Technica headshell and a Hana SL. The Dynavector XX2 also sounded very good on the 1200G.

I am not tempted to replace the 1200G. It's a solid performer. I'd quite like a black version though

1200G owner for almost 3 years, picked up new for £2.5k from Richer Sounds.

Started off with the stock arm/headshell and a Nagaoka MP-500 transferred from my previous Analogue Works TT1. Ran with this combo until about a year ago when I tried a couple of MC carts and different mats.

Settled on a Puresound Tenuto mat, Audio Technica headshell and a Hana SL. The Dynavector XX2 also sounded very good on the 1200G.

I am not tempted to replace the 1200G. It's a solid performer. I'd quite like a black version though

Sounds good. I’ve stayed with the AT VM540ML since I got mine. It sounds fine to me, isn’t too expensive and just never miss-tracks, which is important to me. I do wonder what a higher cost cart might bring but it all sounds so good I think I’m best to just enjoy it, as is.

Would still like to try the Achromat as an experiment, although I’m not really convinced it’ll make an audible difference.

The Achromat made a small difference on mine, as did an Audio-Technica magnesium headshell, but the biggest improvement came from the KAB arm damper.

I’ve had Technics decks (the old ones without silly price tags) for years.
They are excellent and very reliable.
I’ve kept two. Among my very best decks, probably.
They don’t really need tweaking at all.

I'll join the love in :)

I've had my G for nearly three years now ( I think ) , it now sports a Jelco TK950S / VM750SH ( somethimes a Benz ace ) and a Technics RGS0010 thicker mat .
I've enjoyed every minute with this turntable , its been utterly reliable and sounds sublime ( to my ears ) . I think it would cost a seriously large wad of cash to get anything better .

advertisement

Back