advertisement

Ripped off by gov approved covid test company

The test results would come a minimum of 24 hours later - in no way would it jam up passport control.
They are doing rapid tests at passport control. 35 quid if I remember. But I brought one with me from the same day, so did not need to pay.

What is that exactly? It seems there is a normal cross section of people, a few trucks, a few cars, probably all workers and expats though. Dogs also, as I take mine every time and see other dogs in the kennel on Hull to Rotterdam.
Well currently it is illegal to cross the channel as a holiday maker!
As far as I am aware hauliers are not required to take a test among many other workers.
So there must be a tiny fraction of the usual traffic.

Well currently it is illegal to cross the channel as a holiday maker!
So there must be a tiny fraction of the usual traffic.
Yes right, but the ferry services only ask for the gov forms, they are not refusing to sell anyone a ticket.

To be honest even the 10 day UK quarantine with day 2&8 testing rules out all but essential trips, since most of us can't get more than 2 weeks off work, and the PCR tests add another £200 per person to the cost of the trip.
Hopefully there will be some sort of vaccination passport scheme coming later in the summer - yes I know that vaccination is not proven to eliminate transmission, but current evidence indicates that it greatly reduces transmission. At some point governments will have to allow vaccinated people to travel more freely, or else we could have many more years of greatly depressed international travel. (Yes I know that would be good for the environment, but some of us have family abroad, some of whom are elderly).

You’ve missed out the test before going and the pre return test when the country is amber and requires day2/8 tests.

You’ve missed out the test before going and the pre return test when the country is amber and requires day2/8 tests.

I figure the day 8 test could do double duty to get me back in to the US. I'm not sure if I need a test before I leave the US - if so I can get that for another $80. So probably closer to £300 to be able to fly to the UK and not leave my mother's house for 10 days.

Not to mention that I could book a trip now for 3 months hence, and in the intervening period the destination goes amber, or red. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

To be honest even the 10 day UK quarantine with day 2&8 testing rules out all but essential trips, since most of us can't get more than 2 weeks off work, and the PCR tests add another £200 per person to the cost of the trip.
Hopefully there will be some sort of vaccination passport scheme coming later in the summer - yes I know that vaccination is not proven to eliminate transmission, but current evidence indicates that it greatly reduces transmission. At some point governments will have to allow vaccinated people to travel more freely, or else we could have many more years of greatly depressed international travel. (Yes I know that would be good for the environment, but some of us have family abroad, some of whom are elderly).
I'm double vaccinated now. I'm taking a covid test before travelling to UK next time. But I'm not paying for the day 2 day and 8 test again. It makes no sense when you hear all the blah blah blah about how great Boris and co are doing with their vaccination program, it makes my life too difficult and is unreasonably priced.

I hope you are prosecuted.
So sorry Bob. I didn't do the tests last time, as the government-endorsed company ripped me off. I have since heard nothing from the company, police or government about me not taking the tests. It was not my fault I could not do the day 2 and day 8 test last ime, it was the company's and the government's fault. I am fairly sure my case would be thrown out.

It's interesting you have such faith in the mechanics of this day 2 8 testing when it's revelaed itself to be a scam. The people being prosecuted should be Biogroup and the Conservative Party. I'm just a dad trying to see his kids.

I certainly don't hope you're prosecuted, but you are opening yourself up to a very large fine. In your position I'd book again with the cheapest mail based PCR test outfit and if the tests don't show up get a refund through your credit card and not only have you saved the test cost, but you'd also be safe from government prosecution because, you DID book it.

advertisement

Back