advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

A short journey:

Heybrook HB1
Linn Keilidh
Naim SBL
Monitor Audio PL300
Wilson Audio Sasha

If I were to have some excess cash in the future the next port of call would I guess be the Alexx...

Even shorter journey.
My parents bought me my firat pair of speakers for my eighteenth birthday in 1977. They were Kef Calindas. I still use them every day. Have listened to loads of other speakers over the years but never found anything that made me want to change. Never really had the budget to go to the top level, however I have been able to get some vintage Naim amplification recently which has only reinforced my appreciation of how good the Kefs still are. I also have B&W and Epos speakers in other systems but the Kefs still have the number one slot in my main system.

Mordaunt Short MS3.30 (still sound surprisingly good - amazing soundstage)
JBL Mini Monitors
Warfdale (Somethings) - floor standers. (bought on a whim and they were a bit sh**e)
AE Aegis One
Monitor Audio...somethings - small monitor speakers.
KEF LS50
SONAB OA12
Larsen 4.2 (Walnut...on Isopucks)

I went for the Omni's (OrthoAcoustics?) as main listening area is also my work space, so I listen while moving around a lot. The Larsens sound great both while I'm moving around and sat in a conventional listening position. It'd be interesting to compare them to Shahinians at some point. I'm also intrigued by the flat panel Magneplanar-type set up.

Goodmans RB35s (1977-1982)
Mordaunt-Short MS20s (1982-2010) (now stored in a cupboard)
Castle Chesters (1994-2006)
Audiovector M3 Signatures (2006-2016)
Harbeth PSE3Rs (2010 - )
Spendor D7s (2016 - )
I loved my Castle Chesters, which I think I bought about 1991, and kept them for far too long. Eventually ended where you are with lovely D7s, acquired about 6 years ago, but skipping the intermediate steps.

These are what I have used in the main (most of the time, only) setup over four decades:
1 - Mosrdaunt Short, Pageant 2 (new)
2 - Synthese, Floating 2 (ex dem)
3 - Proac, Future .5 (2nd hand)
4 - Apertura, Adamante (new; delivered this year and still improving with use)

B&W D5 (rebadged as Sony)
Allison 5
Royd Apex (now being used as rear speakers)
Martin Logan Ascent i
Martin Logan Stage (centre speaker)

Mordaunt Short Carnivals – the best bit of my starter system – Technics SU8011 amp, RSM10 cassette and Trio KD1033B

Linn Index (original) – bought with my student money and a mistake tbh.

Castle Harlech – Big and beautiful looks and a substantial improvement on the Index – warm, big sound but lacking a bit of timing and a wayward bottom end. Oh and they needed a lot of room around them.

Ruark Crusader 2 – now that’s a midrange! Lovely air and detail in abundance.

Tannoy Cheviot – now that’s a live band playing right there! Maybe my end speaker.

I don't change much since the 90's - probably the shortest list here! LOL!

- NAD 802
- EPOS ES14 - Purchased in the summer of 1994. I remember the day very clearly. Still got them!
- Two SBL in less than one year - 2020/21... OMG loving these vintage beauties. I even converted two others to buy into SBL.

Many DIY speakers. Audax, Focal.
Ditton 66 (awful)

The ones I’ve kept:
Arcam One
Beovox M70
Cabasse Galion 4
Quad ESL57 (One Thing)
Beoplay A9 recently!

Mike missed this one - and when rodrat gets here I want to see what happens when a single post is greater than the length of a page on a thread...

oh...

Homemade
AR something
Mission 731i
Mission 760
Kef Q35
Celestion A3
Quad ESL "57"
Quad ESL 989
And some little Quad 11L for the office

Future: stacked 57s, 63s, 2905s - then maybe some really big stats. Stacked 989s???
Celestion SL 6
Meadowlark Shearwater hot rod
Spendor sp 1/2e
Harbeth HL5
Quad 57 rebuilt by Quads unlimited
Cain & Cain Super Abby
Shahinian Oblisk 2
Magnepan MMG
Dynaudio Emit 10
Proac Tablette 10
still own all minus Harbeth, Spendor (which I regret), Meadowlark. A friend still has the celestions. Mainly use the Obs2 and the Proac.

Wharfedale Diamond 4
Jpw AP3
Castle Chester mk2 (I used these for 20+ years currently on loan to my brother)
Audio Physic Tempo 4
Small list compared to most.

Tannoy 603 - first real system with a Denon CD and Cyrus Mk1 Amp
Neat Petite III - Which I loved and foolishly swapped
Epos ES30 - No fun at all
Naim Credos - Jeez what absolute stinkers! :eek:
Neat Elite SE - Splendid and loved for 10+ years
Tannoy Legacy Eatons - Beautiful! maybe end game but would like to try on something better than my Nait 5i

A smaller journey than some but glad to ended up with the Tanoys as they do most things really well

Tannoy 603 - first real system with a Denon CD and Cyrus Mk1 Amp
Neat Petite III - Which I loved and foolishly swapped
Epos ES30 - No fun at all
Naim Credos - Jeez what absolute stinkers! :eek:
Neat Elite SE - Splendid and loved for 10+ years
Tannoy Legacy Eatons - Beautiful! maybe end game but would like to try on something better than my Nait 5i

A smaller journey than some but glad to ended up with the Tanoys as they do most things really well

Funny 603 was my first speaker as well with Rotel ra820a and can't remember but a 9 series cd. Interesting your thoughts on credo

Q Acoustics Concept 20
Q Acoustic Concept 40
Tannoy XT6F
Kef R5
Rosso Fiorentino Elba
Dynaudio Focus 160
Q Acoustic Concept 300

Favourites where the Rosso's (but way to big for my room) and Concept 300's. Ill probably stick with the 300's now, havent heard any I prefer more.

Modified Centrios 7
Sony SS-B1000
Yamaha NS-BP110
Mica Covo-S
Bose 161
PSB 50 Mk ii
PSB Alpha LR1
PSB Alpha B1
NHT SuperOne 2.1
Energy Take Classic
Rega Ela Mk i
Omage MS-2