advertisement

Poling Day, 6.5.2021.

I think I’m done with politics. My country seems he’ll bent on moving to the right and self destruction. Well sod it. Nothing I do will change that, so I may as well save my mental energy. :(

You were hoping to get the Tories out by thinking?

I've always taken the lazy/pragmatic view that nothing I do would have much impact unless I was willing and able to devout many hours/days/weeks to the boring stuff of attending meetings, knocking on doors, maybe even climbing up the greasy pole of local, then national, politics. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

My father fled Scotland just before WW2 to escape from factionalism, parochialism and religious bigotry. It would be ironic if I made his journey in reverse, for the same reasons. (Not that I intend to. Far too cold up there).

Local councillors and Leeds mayor here, so 2 slips. Only Lab and Con councillors bothered sending me any communications, and only Lab mayor.
In my part of Leeds the Conservatives didn't bother, the Greens and the LibDems put one leaflet apiece through my door and the Labour Party worked hard. Even our MP was knocking on doors.

In my part of Leeds the Conservatives didn't bother, the Greens and the LibDems put one leaflet apiece through my door and the Labour Party worked hard. Even our MP was knocking on doors.

We had literature (lots of it) from the Greens, and sweet FA from any other party. Interestingly, the Green mayoral candidate gave the incumbent Labour mayor a run for his money, with the rest nowhere.

our boro council went Tory, the lab group lost 5 seats. Not surprising, nothing about local issues, and policies from any party. Everything about poster boy Boris, we live in an age of popularity and media politics.

Labour have lost control of Durham Council for the first time in over 100 years.
The party lost 21 seats in Thursday's vote leaving it with 53 of the authority's 126 councillors - 11 short of a majority.

Independents and smaller parties won 31 seats, a collective gain of three.

The Conservatives secured 24 seats, a gain of 14, with the Liberal Democrats taking a total of 17 across the county, up three.

Very interesting results in Bristol:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1391461966645010432

That's right, in Bristol, the Green Party topped the popular vote.

Looks like lots of young people there have had enough of the Labour Party. Frankly, I don't blame them - the regional bureaucracy has shafted young Labour activists, and the national leadership has been talking to old white people in the North all year.

The Greens have made gains nationally but this is the most impressive example.

I think I’m done with politics. My country seems he’ll bent on moving to the right and self destruction. Well sod it. Nothing I do will change that, so I may as well save my mental energy.

A few months ago I made a similar resolution but it is difficult to keep. I have managed to stop gathering technical information on the subject which has recovered a fair amount of time. I have never used twitter, facebook, instagram, whatsapp, etc... but I do read a newspaper and am unable to stop myself from reading and then thinking about politics. The next step will be to stop occasionally chatting about politics on forums like this but I will still continue to chat about it face to face. I cannot stop it being an interest but I can limit the time spent on it and reduce the amount it lowers my mood.

I think I’m done with politics. My country seems he’ll bent on moving to the right and self destruction. Well sod it. Nothing I do will change that, so I may as well save my mental energy. :(
I'm with you on this one. There was a pertinent letter in the Graun today, and I quote:

"So voters don’t mind the greed or the lies. They don’t mind benefits and public services being cut or creeping NHS privatisation. They don’t mind taxpayers’ money being shovelled down the throats of ministers’ friends and families, or the highest Covid-related death toll in Europe. Serial incompetence, venality and a callous disregard of the mores of polite society do not matter, as long as it comes with a healthy dose of xenophobia. After half a century, I am finished with politics. It’s not so much the politicians that make me despair but the electorate."

Very interesting results in Bristol:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1391461966645010432

That's right, in Bristol, the Green Party topped the popular vote.

Looks like lots of young people there have had enough of the Labour Party. Frankly, I don't blame them - the regional bureaucracy has shafted young Labour activists, and the national leadership has been talking to old white people in the North all year.

The Greens have made gains nationally but this is the most impressive example.
Yes but all the Tories have to do is read the runes, pick up on a few planetary death issues, and have a bath in green paint, and the kids will vote for them. In a one-party state, the government has all the answers.

Hmm, I know your comment was meant in jest (wasn't it?) but it is incumbent on the voting authorities to ensure universal suffrage. If that means writing stuff in crayon, so be it.

Hmm, I know your comment was meant in jest (wasn't it?)
Yes and no. Elections become meaningless if too many people fail to understand what they are voting for. Then again, they are pretty much meaningless when the choice is down to which lying cheat seems to be the least evil.

advertisement

Back