advertisement

Tidal, Qobuz or both + Tidal issues.

Hi,

I pay my Tidal each month through PayPal, this month I noticed nothing has come out my account, Tidal is still working fine but I just cannot understand why they have not charged me this month.

I checked PayPal and it says the following, this on the 26th of April ......
This is a temporary authorisation to make sure your funding source will cover the payment. Your funding source will be charged when TIDAL completes your order.

The account has always got money in it as I have a standing order well before the payment dates for all my subscriptions that fills my second account where all my subscriptions are paid from, with whatever is required a couple of weeks before any subscription comes out.

So I email Tidal (3 yes three times) and all I get back is a request to take a survey on how they answered my request, which they have not yet answered! :(

Anyone else had problems this month with Tidal, I have not have any issues since I took out Tidal a few years ago.

The second question is, is it worth looking at Qobuz, it is only £14.99 a month, a few of my friends have it and they like it.

If I get Qobuz I would most likely also keep Tidal, if they ever get back to me.

What are people's views on Qobuz and Tidal and also on having both?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Cheers

John

3 main differentiating factors - catalogue, discovery/auto-playlist features, and MQA vs FLAC.

If you find that Qobuz has everything you want to listen to, you don’t care about the ‘my mix’ style stuff that Tidal does, and you dislike MQA (and/or prefer a more traditional flavour of high res), Qobuz will be as good or better than Tidal for you.

Personally I think Tidal’s catalogue is less likely to be missing things I want, and I do value the auto-generated playlists etc. I’d rather not go near MQA, but on balance it’s Tidal for me.

That’s unless you use Roon, in which case the playlist stuff is less of an issue either way.

Having both seems a bit pointless to me unless you’re having issues finding particular music on each. YMMV.

That may change when Apple Music goes lossless, as it’s rumoured to do in a few weeks’ time.

Same here pay for Tidal via PayPal and it’s still pending since 30th April. Thought it was due to lack of balance in PayPal account but have back up funding from other sources so don’t understand why it hasn’t cleared yet.

Same here pay for Tidal via PayPal and it’s still pending since 30th April. Thought it was due to lack of balance in PayPal account but have back up funding from other sources so don’t understand why it hasn’t cleared yet.

This is interesting, so it is not just myself.

Wonder if Tidal has an issue with their accounting system, or something else.

Thanks for the help so far.

Cheers

John

I use qobuz through picoreplayer. If it wasn't for mqa and the price was the same then I'd use Tidal as Qobuz does lack some stuff.

According to Darko, Tidal are bringing out a poss cheaper service that's straight CD quality so if you're not interested in hires then another option to look at.

I ran Quboz, Tidal and also Spotify (for the family and also for music on the move) for a while

Now I just run Quboz and Spotify, didn’t like the sound or the principles behind MQA re Tidal

I subscribe to both. No billing problems. But I find Qobuz PC app to be very demanding - it doesn't run well at all on Surface 3, for example. Tidal, on the other hand, runs fine, but updates every week.

I subscribe to both and have no problems with billing. Probably because I’m not that app savvy, I find Qobuz easier to use...barely. In their standard form I also think that Qobuz sounds better, again barely.

Thanks all for the information.

I run Tidal with Linn streamers, I think Linn does not play MQA, but I could be wrong on that, the doc below might be outdated, am sure someone on here will know for sure.

From their website docs

Does the Linn DS/DSM do Tidal Master streaming
No, Tidal Masters use an "MQA" codec which the Linn DS/DSM does not support. Any Tidal Masters will play as standard CD quality audio.

Thanks all for the information.

I run Tidal with Linn streamers, I think Linn does not play MQA, but I could be wrong on that, the doc below might be outdated, am sure someone on here will know for sure.

From their website docs

Does the Linn DS/DSM do Tidal Master streaming
No, Tidal Masters use an "MQA" codec which the Linn DS/DSM does not support. Any Tidal Masters will play as standard CD quality audio.

Depending who you listen to, it’s reputedly not quite that simple (any more). The way Linn have worded it there makes it seem as though Tidal offers 2 versions to your streamer - an MQA version and a (more or less) CD-equivalent version. And your Linn gear says ‘keep the MQA, thanks, I’ll take the CD version instead’. But apparently that’s (probably) not how it works.

In simple terms, when you stream a 16/44.1 CD quality stream from, say, Qobuz, supposedly you’re getting roughly what Linn appear to have in mind - ie what amounts to the same data as a CD copy, just repackaged and reformatted into a stream. It’d be theoretically possible to put it back into a CD format without anything having changed.

But Tidal is (probably - they’re secretive about it) different. According to some people who seem to know that they’re on about, when Tidal says it’s a ‘Master’ file, even if your replay gear doesn’t do MQA, and defaults to an apparently CD quality stream like your Linn gear says it does, you still get something that has traces of MQA tech in it, rather than effectively repackaged CD data. So if you converted it back into CD format, it wouldn’t be identical to a CD copy any more.

Whether the difference is audible to you, and if so, whether you find it’s detrimental (some people claim to prefer it), is another story.

PS, there’s another thread with lots if info/arguing. But it’s 80-odd pages, and personally I think you’d be better just having a listen. Unless you think life is just too long and needs to be spent arguing in circles more often.

Depending who you listen to, it’s reputedly not quite that simple (any more). The way Linn have worded it there makes it seem as though Tidal offers 2 versions to your streamer - an MQA version and a (more or less) CD-equivalent version. And your Linn gear says ‘keep the MQA, thanks, I’ll take the CD version instead’. But apparently that’s (probably) not how it works.

In simple terms, when you stream a 16/44.1 CD quality stream from, say, Qobuz, supposedly you’re getting roughly what Linn appear to have in mind - ie what amounts to the same data as a CD copy, just repackaged and reformatted into a stream. It’d be theoretically possible to put it back into a CD format without anything having changed.

But Tidal is (probably - they’re secretive about it) different. According to some people who seem to know that they’re on about, when Tidal says it’s a ‘Master’ file, even if your replay gear doesn’t do MQA, and defaults to an apparently CD quality stream like your Linn gear says it does, you still get something that has traces of MQA tech in it, rather than effectively repackaged CD data. So if you converted it back into CD format, it wouldn’t be identical to a CD copy any more.

Whether the difference is audible to you, and if so, whether you find it’s detrimental (some people claim to prefer it), is another story.

PS, there’s another thread with lots if info/arguing. But it’s 80-odd pages, and personally I think you’d be better just having a listen. Unless you think life is just too long and needs to be spent arguing in circles more often.

Very sensible.

Amazon HD also sounds good, has hires, but has an incomprehensible layout (to me).

Never tried Amazon (I am a Prime subscriber and use the Prime Video service) but I am reasonably happy with Quobuz and Tidal. They both have user interface issues but between the two, I'm pretty much covered.

When (if) Spotify get their finger out and eventually offer lossless I may sacrifice one of the above but as both have something Spotify won't when (if) they (Spotify) eventually move into 2014 (!) I hold tight.

Tidal's response to my request in post #1

This is an automated email from TIDAL.
__
Hello,

We wanted to update you on your email to TIDAL Member Support.

We're currently experiencing a higher than normal amount of inquiries and are assisting as quickly as we can. Please expect a response within 3 business days.

In the meantime, you can visit our Support pages for updated FAQs and troubleshooting articles.

If you found a solution, please respond to this email letting us know to close out your request. Otherwise, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience,
The Member Support team at TIDAL

Hi,

I pay my Tidal each month through PayPal, this month I noticed nothing has come out my account, Tidal is still working fine but I just cannot understand why they have not charged me this month.

This is a temporary authorisation to make sure your funding source will cover the payment. Your funding source will be charged when TIDAL completes your order.

The account has always got money in it as I have a standing order well before the payment dates for all my subscriptions that fills my second account where all my subscriptions are paid from, with whatever is required a couple of weeks before any subscription comes out.

So I email Tidal (3 yes three times) and all I get back is a request to take a survey on how they answered my request, which they have not yet answered! :(

Anyone else had problems this month with Tidal, I have not have any issues since I took out Tidal a few years ago.

Cheers

John
Hi,

Hi John,

I think you'll find this is nothing to do with Tidal, it is Paypal that has changed. I ordered some tennis balls through Paypal recently (from Sports Direct) and had the pending notice. Apparently Paypal now only processes the payment when it receives a confirmation that the order can be supplied, so maybe Tidal were late sending this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Andy.

advertisement

Back