advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
“There is no question of Britain losing essential sovereignty.”

Ted Heath, Government White Paper, 1971.
“I must emphasise that in my view the surrenders of sovereignty involved are serious ones, and I think that, as a matter of practical politics, it will not be easy to persuade Parliament or the British public to accept them."

“I am sure that it would be a great mistake to underestimate the force of the objections to them. But these objections should be brought out into the open now because, if we attempt to gloss over them at this stage, those who are opposed to the whole idea of joining the Community will certainly seize on them with more damaging effect later on”.

Lord Kilmuir, Lord Chancellor, in response to a letter from Heath in 1960.
Nothing happened to change the balance of those sovereignty issues in the intervening 11 years?

“I must emphasise that in my view the surrenders of sovereignty involved are serious ones, and I think that, as a matter of practical politics, it will not be easy to persuade Parliament or the British public to accept them."

“I am sure that it would be a great mistake to underestimate the force of the objections to them. But these objections should be brought out into the open now because, if we attempt to gloss over them at this stage, those who are opposed to the whole idea of joining the Community will certainly seize on them with more damaging effect later on”.

Lord Kilmuir, Lord Chancellor, in response to a letter from Heath in 1960.

That does seem to be the era where that belongs. Post Imperial and pre-globalisation. It’s almost as if the world is the same as 1960 and what went before it. Are there any other political and economic areas of life where you recommend we adopt fifties attitudes?

If only the world hadn’t moved on.

That does seem to be the era where that belongs. Post Imperial and pre-globalisation. It’s almost as if the world is the same as 1960 and what went before it. Are there any other political and economic areas of life where you recommend we adopt fifties attitudes?

If only the world hadn’t moved on.
Indeed. Why on earth are we harking back to 1960? The world has changed and we have moved on. There ha ve been inventions, including applications for an amazing electronic device called a transistor.

You could be talking of the European project. Conceived in the 1950s as a response to issues of the 1930s and 40s.

Well many of our fishermen and exporters, particularly those small ones your purport to care about are now abandoned by the party of business and finding out what trying to turn back the clock does. It will be a while but many more will also feel it, what a pity there is no party interested in them while they chase the populist demographic and produce the vacuous sound bites to cover their crooked incompetence.

“There is no question of Britain losing essential sovereignty.”

Ted Heath, Government White Paper, 1971.
Well, that's arguable, depending on your threshold for (gag) "essential" sovereignty. Certainly doesn't look essential at the moment.

But you can't really say the same about
“Nor is there any prospect of security checks returning to the border. The common travel area between the UK and Ireland pre-dates our EU membership and will outlast it. The unique status Irish citizens are accorded in the UK predates EU membership and will outlast it. There is no reason why the UK’s only land border should be any less open after Brexit than it is today.” Theresa Villiers, Vote Leave press release, 14 April 2016

International secretary Liam Fox sold us on the idea of a glorious global Britain, once again creating new waves of international trading and prosperity. “The free trade agreement we will have to do should be one of the easiest in human history,” he said.

“The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.” Michael Gove

“There will continue to be free trade and access to the single market” – Boris Johnson, the Telegraph, 26 June 2016

Brexit has already cost two per cent in lost predicted growth and each household is £900 poorer than it would have been had the UK voted to remain in the EU, according to the Bank Of England. “Nobody voted to be poorer,” eh?

And so on...
Anyway, ET, to save my overused and delicate cut and paste finger from RSI, maybe you could get the kids to show you how to google, and find the rest of the stuff the gullible rubes swallowed yourself?

1971, and indeed, 1960, were a very long time before 2016.

Lord Kilmuir's exceptional prescience was right on target.

How about some more recent quotes, I mean more recent than 1960:
"Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the Single Market." Daniel Hannan, Vote Leave, 2016.
"Only a madman would leave the Market." Owen Paterson, Vote Leave backer.
"Wouldn't it be terrible if we were really like Norway and Switzerland? Really? They're rich. They're happy. They're self-governing". Nigel Farage, UKIP leader.
"Increasingly, the Norway option looks the best for the UK." Aaron Banks, Leave EU founder.

Last edited:
Apart from those for whom Brexit has been a catastrophe - like the many small businesses who did significant export business with the EU.
If only the EU had negotiated in good faith, agreed a mutually beneficial deal and given up on the punishment beating.

So where was the Brexit backlash in the local elections?

Either the majority of the voting public feel Brexit was a success, which most on here deny almost daily, or they just don't care.

It's probably the latter IMO. The arrival of a worldwide pandemic has set everything in context. People will just be happy to get back to some kind of normality.

Comparatively few people actually run businesses or understand the real impact, and the whole covid 19 furlough thing has been a huge smokescreen for those who don’t and whose jobs may be far less secure going forward than they suspect. It is certainly suggested quite a lot of companies are hanging by a thread that will snap once the handouts stop.

It is absolutely indisputable that Brexit has cost hundreds if thousands of jobs. The statistics and lists of companies closing shop here and shipping-out to the EU can easily be found, but unless you are one of those directly impacted chances are you won’t care.

It also needs to be pointed out these local elections etc were on a very low turnout indeed, typically only around 30% of the electorate, so it appears quite a lot of people saw nothing of value to differentiate between Boris Johnson shrouded in a flag or Kier Starmer shrouded in a flag. I have no idea what the turnout in Scotland was like, but I suspect rather better as they actually have things to vote on up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back