advertisement

Celebrity hifi systems

Prof Brian Cox I think uses some Audio Note gear, specifically speakers I think? I saw some online tv interview during this pandemic, the speakers in the background had blue cones and they looked like the Audio Note shape (Ks or Js??)

We know he's also got a Naim Unitiqute that his cat uses to warm itself up on (see other thread)!

Now before I get jumped on, the Gyro is an excellent turntable. However, I reckon he was endorsing the aesthetic and probably unaware of its performance or its place in the pecking order. Great advert for Michell though, deserved as well
That may well be true...Jobs had a Linn before the Gyro IIRC

I was in Ian Anderson’s house a few years back and he had a couple of sets of big Tannoys lying around.

With lockdown we’ve peaked into a few politicians homes over the last year. I caught a couple of them with Linn systems behind them.

Cozy Powell had a big Yamaha system with NS1000 speakers back in the early '80s. I remember a magazine article - I think he played Yamaha drums, too - so it was possibly a gift from them.

Several USA celebs apparently used the JBL Paragon speaker system back in the 60's. I thought Sinatra was amongst them but maybe not judging from the photo up thread... although he could well have had more than one system and several houses of course!

A Rolls phono pre into a Leben amp? And I doubt the Leben is enough for those little speakers.
Several USA celebs apparently used the JBL Paragon speaker system back in the 60's. I thought Sinatra was amongst them but maybe not judging from the photo up thread... although he could well have had more than one system and several houses of course!

I've seen a photo of Sinatra and the Paragon, but it looks like a trade show shot.

I was in Ian Anderson’s house a few years back and he had a couple of sets of big Tannoys lying around.
Was this observed by torchlight? Did he still have a couple of sets the following morning? (In fact, I’ve never bothered mentioning my Tannoys on any house contents application - any burglar removing them quickly, quietly and without being seen would deserve a round of applause.)

Was this observed by torchlight? Did he still have a couple of sets the following morning? (In fact, I’ve never bothered mentioning my Tannoys on any house contents application - any burglar removing them quickly, quietly and without being seen would deserve a round of applause.)

Haha. No I was there showing some carpets a few years back. A superb house, but the Tannoys stood out!

I remember about 20 years ago when Stereophile was a much much better magazine, they had a running series of interviews with music personalities about their art and hifi systems. IIRC Eddie Kramer had a classic tube system, Branford Marsalis an LP12 and Charlie Haden had a full Naim set up. Max Roach was also interviewed but I can't remember what he used but likely nothing that special.

Unfortunately I don't have my copies any more. After reading Stereophile cover to cover for quite a few years, I gave away all my copies in disgust for having made me focus more on gear than music. Given what Stereophile has become, it is unlikely they will upload this series on their website archive, although in recent years they actually have had interviews with current musicians, but no one particularly famous.

Facts I know for certain (I look after their requirements)

john bonham (his wife pat still uses Macintosh pre power and Sansui speakers and Marantz CD player)
Robert Plant (ARC valve integrated VSi 60 JBLs)
Stan Webb (Audiolab Technics JPW)

I heard that Paul McCartney had a Nottingham Analogue deck from someone who worked at N.A.

That was decades ago.

advertisement

Back