advertisement

Lazy as hell Sunday Dinners

do you brown the beef first before putting it into the slow cooker?

Ideally, yes - very hot pan - seer all over. Not essential, but the meat is more succulent if it is sealed. Mince - not worth the effort, IMO.

My slow cooker has two settings - if yours has, be careful to use the right one.

do you brown the beef first before putting it into the slow cooker?
Yes, hot pan and brown it, if time roll in a bit of seasoned flour then brown off - this does take a wee bit of time though, I also deglaze the pan and chuck that in too, adds flavour. If you're in a real hurry you can skip and bung everything in raw, it does make a difference if you seal/brown it off though.

Chillis and Spag Bog is OK if you use Quorn mince and chuck it in when you get home from work, only takes 10 to 20 mins at the end to cook. Prefer beef or turkey mince but Quorn is alright once in a while.

Nothing lazier than baked potatoes. Proper bakers, oiled and salt&peppered. No need for pre-heating the oven. Set at near 200 fan and turn after twenty minutes and should be cooked at 40. Butter is essential but everything else is up to you. The skins should be almost burnt and very crisp....

Waitrose Charlie Brighams and veggies of your choice. Quality bake in oven meals 30 mins. Been where you are and they were the ticket, apologies if I’m off course here x

Proper bakers, oiled and salt&peppered.

Now there is something that is down to prefernce - I LOVE the skins and the sugary layer underneath. For me, doing anything to the skins, apart from pricking them, is total sacrilege The samaller, within reason, the better too, more skin.

Last edited:
No there is something that is down to prefernce - I LOVE the skins and the sugary layer underneath. For me, doing anything to the skins, apart from pricking them, is total sacrilege The samaller, within reason, the better too, more skin.

I find that a wipe over with a scant amount of rapeseed oil on a paper towel gives a better overall crisp without affecting that lovely flavour at all. Olive oil has it's place, it's not a jacket spud.

Waitrose Charlie Brighams and veggies of your choice. Quality bake in oven meals 30 mins. Been where you are and they were the ticket, apologies if I’m off course here x

a little - they're too bloody expensive as well! There are times when a freezer to table meal is just the thing - I batch cook as much as I can, for the days when I can't (if you follow me) but recently the freezer stocks have taken a right pounding.

I find that a wipe over with a scant amount of rapeseed oil on a paper towel gives a better overall crisp without affecting that lovely flavour at all.

Sorry - unsullied skins for me. :)

Batch and cheap - chilli-con-carne and bolognese, and most stews.
I have cooked jacket pot's in batches large enough to fill a small oven. They MUST be allowed to thaw at room temperature though - they are DISGUSTING if thawed otherwise - the starch and water seperate. Fancy them this evening? Get them out of the freezer now.

Freezing cooked fish is a disaster,

Now there's another quickie - most seafood from frozen (if you don't fancy it raw :) )

Scrambled Eggs on toast- food of the Gods.... actually anything on top of/in between Toast falls into this category.:D

l'm off for some Brekkie this this thread is making me hungry.:)

If you have trouble preparing/finely chopping stuff like herbs, freeze portions of them as ice cubes when you’re able to use the knives, fairly close to fresh and better than dried imo.

Lots of versions of this online doing the sauces from scratch, here’s a cheat

Smoked Haddock fillet, not the dyed kind, small jar of Dolmio white lasagne sauce, grated cheese mature cheddar or what suits, dijon mustard to taste, into an oven proof dish for about half hour.

Food threads on pfm are usually pretty amazing. This one features some of the most disgusting sounding recipe suggestions I think I've ever seen!

How about Carbonara? Cook pasta, fry off some pancetta, tip pasta into the bacon pan, stir in an egg. Liberal amounts of Parmesan and black pepper and the job’s a good ‘un! Ten minutes is all it takes.

Lidl have jars of nduja for £2.49, part of their Italian promotion which has another week to go, dried porcini mushrooms are £1.49 for 30g, never seen them cheaper.

May have to take advantage of that.

But for today's dinner, one of those reformed chicken breast steak thingies in breadcrumbs, cooked in the oven, served with a portion of pre-prepared salad, (probably the asda pea shoot salad, which I am rather partial to), plus some slowly (as opposed to finely) chopped cucumber, spring onion and tomatoes. Some sliced pickled beetroot gives a little zing, and some coleslaw and fat-free cottage cheese dollops on the plate give a little variety. If I can I'll also microwave poach an egg to go on top of the chicken breast-ish steak. There may be mayonaisse.

The first page wasn't great. There seemed to be quite a lot of supermarket pre-prepped and tinned stuff. Did I see tinned potatoes somewhere, or was it a bad dream?

Scrambled Eggs on toast- food of the Gods.... actually anything on top of/in between Toast falls into this category.:D

l'm off for some Brekkie this this thread is making me hungry.:)

Tinned tomatoes on toast for me this morning :) The chopped variety makes it a lot easier to munch, and I like to jazz the tomatoes up with a dash of worcester sauce, a little balsamic vinegar and a drop or two of hot sauce. A tiny bit of butter to emulsify the sauce slightly is good too - I wish I could go the Full George Martin on it and stick half a pack in, but I'm being goodish these days.

The first page wasn't great. There seemed to be quite a lot of supermarket pre-prepped and tinned stuff. Did I see tinned potatoes somewhere, or was it a bad dream?

Ah! I see what you mean. That is life/food/"cooking" for an awful lot of people these days. I'm afraid.

Now there is something that is down to prefernce - I LOVE the skins and the sugary layer underneath. For me, doing anything to the skins, apart from pricking them, is total sacrilege The samaller, within reason, the better too, more skin.

if I’ve got the time, and I mostly have, I’ll bake the potatoes even if I want mash or a pie topping. Then your left with the skins all crispy and seasoned to eat as a snack. Wonderful!

advertisement

Back