advertisement

Bempton cliffs

ron

Tweaker
Spent Sunday morning at Bempton Cliffs hoping to get some shots of the Puffins, the weather wasn't pleasant being very windy and cold, the Rayauds in my hands was giving me grief .
All shots cropped some much heavier than others , Sony A1 200-600. I tried to use not too fast shutter speed to give the wings a little blur .

Puffin1 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Puffin2 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Puffin3 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Puffin4 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Puffin5 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Puffin6 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Puffin6 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Puffin by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Puffin by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Brilliant pictures
do you know what the lighter circles on the bottom right side of a couple of the pictures. I sometimes get this effect as well.

Reactions: ron
Brilliant pictures
do you know what the lighter circles on the bottom right side of a couple of the pictures. I sometimes get this effect as well.

Thanks, maybe specular highlights ? I've seen it with many zoom lenses especially with water backgrounds

Those circular features look like mild lens flare to me. They are so subtle I don’t think they detract from the images at all. I would normally expect that type of flare effect if the front element is catching some direct light from the sun, but it looks like the sun was behind your back. Did you have a lens hood on?

Those circular features look like mild lens flare to me. They are so subtle I don’t think they detract from the images at all. I would normally expect that type of flare effect if the front element is catching some direct light from the sun, but it looks like the sun was behind your back. Did you have a lens hood on?

Flare from water droplets closer than the focus point.

I always use the lens hood , with the damp cold wind blowing hard against me and the wet birds it probably is flare from water droplets

I have hundreds of kitesurfing photos with them, always when it's windy, especially an updraft or shore break.

Lovely shots of the puffins, Ron!

Don't know why, but they kind of remind me of a BAE 146 coming in on approach : )

Lovely shots of the puffins, Ron!

Don't know why, but they kind of remind me of a BAE 146 coming in on approach : )
Agree with that sentiment!

Having seen the 146s under test nr Cranfield as a small kid/v early 80s/fam friend as a test pilot - I think the similarity is short/deep wing profile and wide stance of undercarriage; also efficient if short/rounded fuselage & plenty of engine power: the little 4-engine STOl of british sea-fishing birds :D

advertisement

Back