advertisement

Lazy as hell Sunday Dinners

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
The various illnesses are kicking my arse at the moment - so in desperation I've put together probably the laziest dinner I've ever cooked. A tin of white beans, a tin of chick peas, a tin of tomatoes, a small box of passata, some herbs de provence, in an oven proof dish, with two chicken legs on top, slung in the oven to cook. I've microwaved a sweet potato (makes them a doddle to peel after cooking, and they mash really easily), and I'm going to microwave steam some broccoli.

I could really, REALLY use some recipe inspiration though - meals which are easy to cook with absolutely minimal faff. Usually I make the effort to cook properly, but when I'm in a down-swing like now, having some easy meal recipes on standby would be a a godsend.

So what are your go-to meals to cook for when circumstances are awkward?

Steak and chips, takes about five minutes, the ultimate fast food.

I've been buying steaks from various places, Basco fine foods (Spanish) and the Steak shop in London and my wife buys steaks from M&S but the best of the lot is Donald Russel in Aberdeen, they're probably not in Aberdeen but are some faceless corporate mob in an industrial estate in Birmingham or somewhere but their meat is excellent especially the rib eye, rib roast and sausages which are superb.

Have you got a slow cooker?
They are great for bunging a pile of veg and meat ingredients in, half the liquid you think you need and leaving for a few hours.
Another dead easy one once the ingredients are prepped is a traditional Briam.

If you don't mind the wait for the pasta, there are gazillions of VERY quick and simple pasta sauces that are SO quick to make.

The simplest sauces are bacon, canned tuna, salami, chicken liver, lambs liver, or whatever, flash fried after softening some onion (or not), throw in some herbs to your taste, and then follow with a can of chopped tomatoes - heat through. Job done.

Jacket poatoes take a while, but no effort ( I MUCH prefer egg-sized spuds - MUCH more skin - the best bit, and also far quicker). LOADS of possible fillings.

I love toad-in-the-hole (and pigeon-in-the-hole - look that one up), and it is SO easy, but not quick. I also like onion gravy with it, which takes ages and is a faff.

P.B.M.
Pasta Bacon and Mayo has been a simple staple here
Pasta twists (tri coloured )
grilled bacon cut up
mix together with mayo
If you want extra faff cut small tomatoes into quarters and thick slices of cucumber or any veg of your choice
10 min and your done.

A recent discovery to die for - little effort, but not quick - salt and vinegar potatoes courtesy of the ever-adorable Nigella.

Steam or boil some small new pot's. Dry them in the warm pan they are cooked in after draining. Very lightly crush to break them. Roast in whatever fat/oil you prefer for about 20-30 minutes per side.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, seasoned to replicate salt and vinegar crisps.

Sausage casserole...

12 pork sausages, one onion, one leek, one carrot, one stick of celery, one tin of toms, 1 pint chicken stock, 2 bay leaves, 2 sprigs of rosemary, salt n pepper

In the slow cooker:

Dice veg, mix in 2tbsp plain flour, add tin toms, stir, add herbs, stir, add sausages, stir, top up with stock. Salt n pepper, maybe a sprinkle or oragano...

Cook for 6 hours min

Serve with mash and steamed greens :D

A second vote for a slow cooker, get one bigger than you think you will need and you can have the leftovers the next day if you are still rough or put in the freezer to microwave the next time you are fatigued
Or as we found at the beginning of lock down for my mother and the single Bro-in-Law www.parsleybox.com :)

Not sure it qualifies as a proper dinner but Mac and Cheese is easy to make and filling. The laziest (and unhealthiest) option is Kraft's glow in dark Macaroni and Cheese offering available at all good supermarkets. Just add milk and butter. 5-10 mins prep time. You can add more cheese, or bacon etc to liven it up, a bit.

What is simpler than "throwing" some spuds/celeriac/carrots/parsnips/swede/sweet potato/squash/leeks/small onions/halved aubergine/what the fook hell ever, into a shallow baking tray with a chop/chicken portion/piece of steak/what the fook hell ever. with fat/oil of choice and "throwing" that in the oven?

Only minor glitch is that the more tender veg' need to be thrown in later than the swede/carrot/spuds.

Now that is a feast that I have enjoyed many a time. "Throw" in ample and there are at least a couple of meals done in one shot. GORGEOUS cold too........

I've been buying steaks from various places, Basco fine foods (Spanish) and the Steak shop in London and my wife buys steaks from M&S but the best of the lot is Donald Russel in Aberdeen, they're probably not in Aberdeen but are some faceless corporate mob in an industrial estate in Birmingham or somewhere but their meat is excellent especially the rib eye, rib roast and sausages which are superb.
5 minutes for steak and chips? Do tell....

Nigella’s Duck Leg with potato.
2 duck legs
2 baking spuds
Thyme (if you’re feeling fancy).
Some steamed veg (not in Nigella’s recipe, but I’ve included in case you feel the need for greens).
I made this the other night; simple and lovely.

I have been simplifying sunday but making it way more complicated. Today was chicken breast, peas and mash.

However fully butchered chicken, sous vide cooked, a classic jus made from a hand made stock, (enough left for a demi glaze in the week) baked potatoes, through a ricer, butter, milk and topped with parmesan and roasted, chicken finished in a pan with butter, rosemary and garlic.

The peas were easy hah.

Nice, if a little expensive. Worth risking at some point though, I think. I'm hoping Cardiff Market will be open (and within my effective range before Bingo Spoons Time) soon - there's a butcher there that I trust, and he's never let me down when I've asked for a bargain - thanks to him I'm aware of flat iron steak (also known as butler's steak). Being able to buy a complete ox heart for £3 (pre Lurgey, anyway) is also a great cheap meal, but not quick or easy.

What is simpler than "throwing" some spuds/celeriac/carrots/parsnips/swede/sweet potato/squash/leeks/small onions/halved aubergine/what the fook hell ever, into a shallow baking tray with a chop/chicken portion/piece of steak/what the fook hell ever. with fat/oil of choice and "throwing" that in the oven?

Only minor glitch is that the more tender veg' need to be thrown in later than the swede/carrot/spuds.

Now that is a feast that I have enjoyed many a time. "Throw" in ample and there are at least a couple of meals done in one shot. GORGEOUS cold too........

Try washing, chopping and peeling it when your fingers are trying their best to do an impression of boxing gloves... I'm no stranger to traybakes, but they're rather involved.

advertisement

Back