advertisement

UptoneAudio EtherREGEN

I'm always wary about technical White Papers, they are not peer reviewed and are really marketing tools....I've been involved in a few. Never take them as gospel just a pinch of salt, there are always counter arguments and points of view. The lack of testing results doesn't help either.

The lack of testing results doesn't help either.
They've been "promising" those test results for the last 10 years or so. Any time they're asked about it, their prophet is always "too busy" to produce them. Alternatively, he hasn't finished building the special test equipment he's invented yet, and nothing else can detect the supposed effects. If that is so, how the hell do they validate their designs?

I thought I would update you on my Etheregen experience and further upgrades/tweaks

I previously used a (secondhand Ebay) Cisco 2960 between my Synology NAS and Naim NDS. This was removed and replaced by the Etherrregen, as I felt the sound was better with only the Etherregen.

However, I found that the Etherrgen improved over around 2 weeks so I put the Cisco in *before* the Etherregen = big improvement with a **much** deeper sound stage. I had been sceptical that the two switch approach made ‘sense’ – but it really does seem to work. (I see reports that some invest in 2 Etherregens)

I was using a full BJC Cat6a loom and bought second hand Optical links (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27464291...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 ) to use between the Cisco and Etherregen = small improvement. It is good to know that optical cables wok in my system, as very long lengths are cheap and the cable is flexible.

Having read a few threads on the Naim site, I experimented with cheap Ethenet cables to see if they were better than the BJC 6a between the Synology and Cisco, and Etherregen and NDS.

I initially tried LinkinPerk CAT8 Ethernet Cable . I then tried **Floating** Premium Belden 1303E CATSNAKE Cat6a Ethernet Network Cable (https://www.designacable.com/premiu...6a-ethernet-network-cable-flexible-s-ftp.html ) = *major* upgrade to the BJC 6a. Smoother more natural, less ‘screetch’. Several Naimees feel this is equivalent to cables costing 5-10x more

I power my Etheregen via a Balanced Mains unit – so am not sure how it is earthed.
I earthed the Etherrgen directly to an using a spare plug (UK plugs all have earths) and a turntable cable = less ‘noise’ and a change in sound with better resolution.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-METER-...wiseNativeBase&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

I have previously reported that in my systems audiophile fuses improve the sound. I found a definite improvement with a Hi Fi Tuning Supreme 3 powering the Etherregen. with a bigger volume to the sound. (I’ll try SR Orange at some stage)

Finally, I received a Paul Hynes SR4T to replace the standard switching supply. There was an immediate improvement with better depth and separation. Music is ‘smoother’ and flows better. I noted that the PH DC lead is very sensitive to positioning and needs to kept well away from other power cables.

One ‘loss’ is less sparkle with violin plucks sounding realistic but too smooth for my ears. Clearly the unit will take a few weeks to burn in, but I wonder if a silver DC cable might bring back the sparkle that I have lost with the copper cable.

All in all, I continue to be impressed that altering the digital chain from NAS to DAC can make such a difference (equivalent to several black boxes). Whislt this may or may not make scientific sense, the differences are real to my ears.

Given this, I have taken the plunge and ordered a cheap (repurposed) Clock which will take a month or so to come from China https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59419-master-clock-for-your-etherregen/#comments . The fun continues

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
All in all, I continue to be impressed that altering the digital chain from NAS to DAC can make such a difference (equivalent to several black boxes). Whislt this may or may not make scientific sense, the differences are real to my ears.

The fun continues

Good for you, glad you're enjoying the journey. In the end I was dismayed rather than impressed!

Have subsequently done all I can to minimise these network effects, such as...not using a network. ;-)

Good for you, glad you're enjoying the journey. In the end I was dismayed rather than impressed!

Have subsequently done all I can to minimise these network effects, such as...not using a network. ;-)

That is an option, but this is thread regarding the EtherRegen, which is a network device (par excellence?)

I thought I would update you on my Etheregen experience and further upgrades/tweaks

I previously used a (secondhand Ebay) Cisco 2960 between my Synology NAS and Naim NDS. This was removed and replaced by the Etherrregen, as I felt the sound was better with only the Etherregen.

However, I found that the Etherrgen improved over around 2 weeks so I put the Cisco in *before* the Etherregen = big improvement with a **much** deeper sound stage. I had been sceptical that the two switch approach made ‘sense’ – but it really does seem to work. (I see reports that some invest in 2 Etherregens)

I was using a full BJC Cat6a loom and bought second hand Optical links (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27464291...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 ) to use between the Cisco and Etherregen = small improvement. It is good to know that optical cables wok in my system, as very long lengths are cheap and the cable is flexible.

Having read a few threads on the Naim site, I experimented with cheap Ethenet cables to see if they were better than the BJC 6a between the Synology and Cisco, and Etherregen and NDS.

I initially tried LinkinPerk CAT8 Ethernet Cable . I then tried **Floating** Premium Belden 1303E CATSNAKE Cat6a Ethernet Network Cable (https://www.designacable.com/premiu...6a-ethernet-network-cable-flexible-s-ftp.html ) = *major* upgrade to the BJC 6a. Smoother more natural, less ‘screetch’. Several Naimees feel this is equivalent to cables costing 5-10x more

I power my Etheregen via a Balanced Mains unit – so am not sure how it is earthed.
I earthed the Etherrgen directly to an using a spare plug (UK plugs all have earths) and a turntable cable = less ‘noise’ and a change in sound with better resolution.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-METER-...wiseNativeBase&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

I have previously reported that in my systems audiophile fuses improve the sound. I found a definite improvement with a Hi Fi Tuning Supreme 3 powering the Etherregen. with a bigger volume to the sound. (I’ll try SR Orange at some stage)

Finally, I received a Paul Hynes SR4T to replace the standard switching supply. There was an immediate improvement with better depth and separation. Music is ‘smoother’ and flows better. I noted that the PH DC lead is very sensitive to positioning and needs to kept well away from other power cables.

One ‘loss’ is less sparkle with violin plucks sounding realistic but too smooth for my ears. Clearly the unit will take a few weeks to burn in, but I wonder if a silver DC cable might bring back the sparkle that I have lost with the copper cable.

Given this, I have taken the plunge and ordered a cheap (repurposed) Clock which will take a month or so to come from China https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59419-master-clock-for-your-etherregen/#comments . The fun continues

I enjoyed your post. I discovered the EtherREGEN quite recently and loved it so much I bought one for a second system. I have also just been experimenting with using the optical output from the Cisco going into the optical input on the EtherREGEN and it is making a difference: a big improvement on one of the systems, a lesser but still significant difference on the other. It’s costs £20 for the two SFP modules a length of cable, so a very cheap upgrade.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I enjoyed your post. I discovered the EtherREGEN quite recently and loved it so much I bought one for a second system. I have also just been experimenting with using the optical output from the Cisco going into the optical input on the EtherREGEN and it is making a difference: a big improvement on one of the systems, a lesser but still significant difference on the other. It’s costs £20 for the two SFP modules a length of cable, so a very cheap upgrade.

Thanks, its nice to have some positive feedback, as to my mind given the realtively small costs (in hifi terms) there is little to loose in trying some of these tweaks

Still waiting for the £80 Chinese clock - so will post an update in a while

Just a further update on the Etherregen

I have had the Paul Hynes SR4T for several weeks now and Stephen, his assistant, kindly sent me their silver DC cable. This, to my ears, this is better than the copper cable – with a more realistic timbre and larger sound stage. The corollary is less bass density, but the Silver cable makes voices and classical music sound much more natural

I have received the 75 ohm Square wave Chinese clock which comes with a small 12v switching supply https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59419-master-clock-for-your-etherregen/#comments Given the reports on the length and ‘quality’ of BNC cable – I plumped for 30cm of this https://geistnote.com/75-apogee-wyde-eye-word-clock-bnc-cable/

The clock warns up with an hour and seemed to stabilise within 24 hours. There is a palpable difference, which is difficult to describe, but in essence, more real, more 3D and ‘smoother’, being much easier to listen. Good recordings now sound great, though still have a small ‘sweet spot’ . Badly mastered 80s CDs sound really good

I also bought a 2.5cm cube Tugsten Block , which is said to dampen vibrations of the OCXO chip. Sure enough this improved the sound, (although it is of course more difficult to take on and off to convince myself that this is not just a placebo)

From report elsewhere, it is likely that a LPS will improve the Chinese Clock, but I am not in a rush to find out, as the sound is so good.

I have ended up with a number of boxes (two switches, a clock and the power supply accoutrements) . I note that Innuos have just released, what is in essence a single box version of the above (OCXO, LPS x 2, and ‘audioplhle’ switch) – so I am looking forward to an A:B from someone !

I have had the Paul Hynes SR4T for several weeks now and Stephen, his assistant, kindly sent me their silver DC cable. This, to my ears, this is better than the copper cable – with a more realistic timbre and larger sound stage. The corollary is less bass density, but the Silver cable makes voices and classical music sound much more natural

I have received the 75 ohm Square wave Chinese clock which comes with a small 12v switching supply https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59419-master-clock-for-your-etherregen/#comments Given the reports on the length and ‘quality’ of BNC cable – I plumped for 30cm of this https://geistnote.com/75-apogee-wyde-eye-word-clock-bnc-cable/

The clock warns up with an hour and seemed to stabilise within 24 hours. There is a palpable difference, which is difficult to describe, but in essence, more real, more 3D and ‘smoother’, being much easier to listen. Good recordings now sound great, though still have a small ‘sweet spot’ . Badly mastered 80s CDs sound really good

I also bought a 2.5cm cube Tugsten Block , which is said to dampen vibrations of the OCXO chip. Sure enough this improved the sound, (although it is of course more difficult to take on and off to convince myself that this is not just a placebo)

From report elsewhere, it is likely that a LPS will improve the Chinese Clock, but I am not in a rush to find out, as the sound is so good.

I have ended up with a number of boxes (two switches, a clock and the power supply accoutrements) . I note that Innuos have just released, what is in essence a single box version of the above (OCXO, LPS x 2, and ‘audioplhle’ switch) – so I am looking forward to an A:B from someone !

This appears to be a cheaper version on the Innuos phoenix Swich (LPS OXCO and swich in one box) Edison Silent Switch https://www.monoandstereo.com/2021/01/ediscreation-silent-switch-ocxo.html

A further update

Following the discussion on another site I decied to purchase a 75ohm* version of the Mini - Circuits BLP - 10.7+ Low Pass Filter .

https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=BLP-10.7+

I placed this on the clock and there was a very discernible improvement. In essence the sound ‘snapped’ into focus, with better clarity, deeper sound stage and lower lows. This is probably the best £43 I have ever sent on this hobby

I know that Low Pass Filters are supposed to have such an effect on analogue systems, but was surprised of this effect on a clock signal.

I can’t find an up to date Low Pass Filter thread on PFM, and wonder if this needs to created as the effect was profound

*NB please note that the 75 ohm version is a ‘special’ (for this clock) and you will need to contact Mini Circuits to order

I run an Etherregen behind a cisco and use sfp between the 2. Also using the Chinese clock and 2 LPS. I like it but it is more convoluted than I would prefer.

Does this isolator sit between your clock and wordclock cable ?

I run an Etherregen behind a cisco and use sfp between the 2. Also using the Chinese clock and 2 LPS. I like it but it is more convoluted than I would prefer.

Does this isolator sit between your clock and wordclock cable ?

Yes that is where it is located.
I agree with you that the box count is nuts, but the audible improvement is so significant that it seems justified. Given that owners of even DCS Rossini dacs, also report a similar finding, it seems logical (and cheaper) to optimise this part of the digital chain before 'upgrading' my NDS.

^^^^^^^^
You seem to be well 'up' on this digital chain so I hope you don't mind if I use your knowledge to save me trying to do research, which I may add, half the time I don't understand. My brother uses a Rossini and clock and wondered if you can give me a link to owners of dCS using this low pass filter. I have absolutely no idea if one of these 'clocks' would work with dCS or even were it would be placed in the chain, assuming the dCS clock to be enough.

^^^^^^^^
You seem to be well 'up' on this digital chain so I hope you don't mind if I use your knowledge to save me trying to do research, which I may add, half the time I don't understand. My brother uses a Rossini and clock and wondered if you can give me a link to owners of dCS using this low pass filter. I have absolutely no idea if one of these 'clocks' would work with dCS or even were it would be placed in the chain, assuming the dCS clock to be enough.

Start here
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59419-master-clock-for-your-etherregen/#comments
There do seem to be better clocks but the cost difference is substantial

An interesting one box solution (that may be as good or better - I have no personal experience) for your brother to consider
https://innuos.com/phoenixnet/
Of course he might prefer to try the Phoenix against 2 Etherregens instead...!!

Start here
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59419-master-clock-for-your-etherregen/#comments
There do seem to be better clocks but the cost difference is substantial

An interesting one box solution (that may be as good or better - I have no personal experience) for your brother to consider
https://innuos.com/phoenixnet/
Of course he might prefer to try the Phoenix against 2 Etherregens instead...!!

Thank you for the info, I try and read it later, looked quickly, it all looks a little advanced for me :oops:

Good for you Salamander.

ASR spent months deriding the Etherregen whilst it was in development winding them selves up into a frenzy. Then they take one of the first units "measure" it and find no difference in wave form. Then there is a cursory listen with it feeding a DAC that another member sent in ! and declare they can't hear anything.

Of course they all know about expectation bias......

Another Ethernet filter option that also gets good reviews is ENO filter, I would check that out too (I've not tried it) it's a passive device.

advertisement

Back