advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

Was about to go clean the car until I looked at the forecast for the next 3 days , Rain , Rain and Rain
It's not getting washed :(

My 2009 Audi has peeling lacquer on one wing, the fix seems to be to blow off loose laquer with an airline (can do), then cut (can do) then a coating (I don't have this, but I have good old wax polish). Has anyone done this, is it worthwhile? The pros on You Tube seem to make the cars look presentable, which is good enough for me. I don't want to pay for a wing respray.

Nope; it's re-lacquer or live with it

It'll only start to 'bloom' where the edges are anyway...

Unless really visible, leave it be IMO
Update: flatting the edges of the peeling lacquer with 1200 grit paper, then a polish with a cutting compound "car scratch remover" has improved it dramatically. Close up, it's visible. But it's not obvious, on a walk-past you wouldn't know. I think that polished up with normal wax it will pass the 2 yard test.

Last edited:
I must admit I don’t clean my car very often but just by a sheer clumsiness I accidentally raised the bonnet last week, didn’t realise that front part was for storing leaf mulch!

First attempt at a proper hand wash in what must be 10 years or more. I didn't spend too long at it due to the sun but she hasn't scrubbed up too bad.

My S3 is now 12 years old and has never been through a car wash. Always hand washed with the 2 bucket system and a lambswool wash glove. Last time it was in Audi for a minor part replacement, the service guy checked round for damage when I arrived; he asked when I'd had the car re-sprayed as the paint looked far too good for a (then) 9 year old car. He was surprised when I told him it was original. Any stone chips get repaired each Autumn before the winter weather gets a chance to cause damage - I apply several layers of paint and lacquer, then rub down with very fine grit paper, ending with machine polish. Otherwise it gets machine polished every couple of years and sealed with Collinite 476 wax.

First attempt at a proper hand wash in what must be 10 years or more. I didn't spend too long at it due to the sun but she hasn't scrubbed up too bad.

Looks very tidy , However you must have been over enthusiastic as you have rubbed of the reg numbers ;)

Today was the day to clean my car , Yay !
Half way through and it started raining :(

Ended up just a quick slosh over and a rince

Just a favourable mention for Dodo Juice’s wheel cleaner/fallout remover, Ferrous Dueller.

Having used a not especially great wheel cleaner on wheels which were in decent nick, the results were ok, but there were vaguely rust-coloured persistent deposits left behind. They’re just about visible in the pic I posted a few pages back, I think.

But the Dodo stuff seemed to get the deposits off really well, and bring the wheels up very nicely at the same time. Not the cheapest, but a good product IMO.

Just a favourable mention for Dodo Juice’s wheel cleaner/fallout remover, Ferrous Dueller.

Having used a not especially great wheel cleaner on wheels which were in decent nick, the results were ok, but there were vaguely rust-coloured persistent deposits left behind. They’re just about visible in the pic I posted a few pages back, I think.

But the Dodo stuff seemed to get the deposits off really well, and bring the wheels up very nicely at the same time. Not the cheapest, but a good product IMO.

It's really good stuff...

Used that on the wife's Racing Jazz's old alloys before I sold them on when I bought some new ones (same price as getting the old ones refurbed)!

Bilt Hamber's wheel cleaner is very good also: https://www.bilthamber.com/auto-wheel

As is Autoglym's Magma: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079QM2JN1/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

That's what I'm using currently and it does a great job

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Was looking in the cupboard of doom where things go to die, trying to find any sort of wax or coating from a previous life and stumbled across an almost full can of Sonax Polymer something-or-other, 'great, that will do'.

Jesus wept if anyone fancies a full on cardio workout then buy a tin of this bloody stuff, no wonder it is still full. Not so much 'wax on, wax off' as 'wax on, stay on'. First time I put the cloth on it to take it off the cloth stuck and my hand carried on, it was like I'd sprayed it with glue.

Was looking in the cupboard of doom where things go to die, trying to find any sort of wax or coating from a previous life and stumbled across an almost full can of Sonax Polymer something-or-other, 'great, that will do'.

Jesus wept if anyone fancies a full on cardio workout then buy a tin of this bloody stuff, no wonder it is still full. Not so much 'wax on, wax off' as 'wax on, stay on'. First time I put the cloth on it to take it off the cloth stuck and my hand carried on, it was like I'd sprayed it with glue.

:D

Washing up liquid and hot water with a dish cloth.

Or the geezers up the road for 6 quid.

Oh sweet jeebus, please stop doing this. The thing that makes washing up liquid so good at cleaning - the anionic surfactant iirc - is typically salt. Any residue that gets left in hard-to-rinse places will not be your friend as time goes on.

Trick might be not to let it dry, put it on and take it off straight away.

I tried a tub of AutoBrite’s Carnauba wax and had the same problem. The car panels were nice & cool but it hardened up too fast and then was impossible to work off, leaving streaks of hard wax in places. Never again! I stick with Dodo juice now for wax. Very easy to work off and lasts a good few washes.

Well I don't know what is in that Sonax stuff but I've just been out in this vile wind and pouring rain and the car is beading like crazy, so the effort at least looks like it might have been worth it.

advertisement

Back