advertisement

Hernia op recovery

This is topical for me. I've put up with mine for five years; i blame having to move a pair of bricks.

I can't get it done through the public system, not bad enough, so decided to treat self, I'm only 51, so the sooner I get it done, the longer I will have to enjoy it. I can get my modelling career back on track, too.

Booked in for a laparoscopic mesh repair on 21 April

The public system on its knees. Good luck with your procedure. I managed to get mine done through my wife's private health care insurance. Going private for this type of surgery makes sense. Without going too much into costs a quick google gives a ballpark figure of £3k .Yes it's not cheap but anyone waiting for the NHS may take the view that for that amount of cash over the number of years that you'd be waiting for an op it represents value.
As you say, the sooner you get it done the longer you should have to enjoy it.
BTW I don't like taking painkillers, fortunately I didn't need them and would avoid taking for the sake of it.

got a friend waiting for one of these ops , he`s got loads of other medical problems but been waiting for months now . covid has put paid to any chance of an op , i think he has been admitted at least 3 times to hospital as an emergency for it but he is still waiting . what can you do , its about 5k plus to go private and this guy regularly pawns the TV to pay the bills , what can you do ? sadly there are millions of people out there waiting for elective surgery who cant get it

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/cancelled-elective-operations/

Well, the consultant told me that in normal times I’d be waiting two months. I can’t see a problem with that.

My wife has a hernia situation, which she kind of ignored for longer than she should have. Anyway she got something looked at just a Covid was getting started. Needless to say the consultation was cancelled. End of.

But last week she had a letter from a local private hospital saying that the case had been transferred to them by the NHS. So activity is taking place and her consultation will be in March. Good news.

Thanks for the warning. Codeine gave me very uncomfortable constipation on the only occasion I needed to take it's a reminder to plan ahead for vege curry and crunchy stir frys

Without broccoli!

Hospital food won't help, i didn't touch it.

OH brought in a big bowl of salad every day.

It was ridiculous, every meal came round with the option of laxatives but the food was all processed carb based. Nothing green.

My wife has a hernia situation, which she kind of ignored for longer than she should have. Anyway she got something looked at just a Covid was getting started. Needless to say the consultation was cancelled. End of.

But last week she had a letter from a local private hospital saying that the case had been transferred to them by the NHS. So activity is taking place and her consultation will be in March. Good news.

that is good news

this is what our local hospital says
All planned procedures at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham have been postponed due the significant increase in the number of very sick patients (COVID and non-COVID) admitted to our hospitals as an emergency. Gynaecology procedures at Good Hope Hospital have also been paused.

This is an extremely difficult decision and has not been taken lightly. We know that affected patients will be distressed and upset with this decision, and for this we can only apologise. However, we must ensure that all those needing urgent care are able to access treatment safely.

Cancer treatment and life-saving care will remain our priority. All patients affected by this announcement will be contacted individually to rearrange their postponed surgery.

I'm now three days post my laporoscopic mesh repair of my inguinal repair. I'm still a bit swollen and sore but managing a couple of short walks a day.

I was in a very happy mood on the oxycontin and tramadol but it was wise to get off them as soon as possible. I have a new found love of all bran and prunes...

Im looking forward to putting a pack on and going tramping again. My surgeon advised I should be raring to go in about 6 weeks. Just wondering what others' recovery times have been like?

I'm now three days post my laporoscopic mesh repair of my inguinal repair. I'm still a bit swollen and sore but managing a couple of short walks a day.

I was in a very happy mood on the oxycontin and tramadol but it was wise to get off them as soon as possible. I have a new found love of all bran and prunes...

Im looking forward to putting a pack on and going tramping again. My surgeon advised I should be raring to go in about 6 weeks. Just wondering what others' recovery times have been like?
I thought your op must be about now and was going to revisit this thread to check. Good to hear it's done.

I only had dirty old Panadeine for pain relief which was enough to cause a story. Is your bowel working as it should? Drinking lots of water? It's crucial with a high fibre diet to prevent bloating.

I seem to recall a recommended six week recovery period. Fairly sure I was feeling better well before then but figured it best to ride out the period quietly before doing anything strenuous.

Thanks for the reminder re water, I didn't realise the connection between that and preventing bloating from fibre. I think iI must be drinking enough, as I could beat a shire horse in a p*ssing contest at present.

Encouraging re recovery time, too.

Dec I had open surgery at the new Queen Lizzie in Govan. The choice depends on the expertise of the surgeon and whether the patient has had the procedure before. If it has been done before it is more likely to be keyhole. I know someone who has worked with the surgeon I had and speaks very highly of him and he is an avid Rolex collector. Not sure about the last characteristic though!

PS the Faces cover is just great.
I had 3 key holes surgery for a double hernia with mesh which i would have thought would give less pain than open surgery. Wrong, i could not get to sleep on my back and could not sleep on either side because of the pain in that position for about 3 weeks. That was 12 years ago no problems since.

Anyone got further recovery updates? My referral has apparently been sent to a private hospital nearby but hasn’t been accepted yet. I should hear something soon. Dreading it, tbh.

It’s amazing how waiting times and treatment plans vary.
I bounce between university hospital Southampton and royal Bournemouth, uhs is awful, virtually every dept is under special measures and staff turnover shockingly fast. They almost killed me twice, not kidding,I can if required retell but is gruesome and distressing,I spent close two four years on various wards. I’m what’s termed a frequent flyer.
Rbh is brill, I think smaller size helps, but it in main due to good management. Rbh believe in fast tracking surgical and avoiding long queues, my gp likes them as he calls them pro active. Also when I go there the staff are familiar and remember me, in uhs it’s a collection of foreign nationals who change weekly and are not as proficient or informed.
Waiting for assessment of a incisional hernia caused by gall bladder removal.
Btw avoid queen elizabeth in Pompey, like your life depended on it.

Sean,

My advice is don't push it. Had my hernia done, conventionally, many years ago. I found I needed to double the predicted recovery time. My local doctor passed me as 'fit' at the end of 6 weeks so I advised my employers and was heading back offshore pretty quick.

That's when you are reminded that things that float on the water are not static and you spend a lot of time compensating for the vessel movement and you find out pretty quickly that a lot of that compensating takes place through the groin.

I lasted 3 days before I had to come back onshore.........

Regards

Richard

My hernia made itself known to me just about a year ago. I visited my GP the next day, and the consultant in October. Nothing since, not even a letter to say they haven’t forgotten about me.
Work are very understanding, but in the end I’m fixing aircraft and it’s not easy with Ernie reminding me of his existence a few times each day.

My hernia made itself known to me just about a year ago. I visited my GP the next day, and the consultant in October. Nothing since, not even a letter to say they haven’t forgotten about me.
Work are very understanding, but in the end I’m fixing aircraft and it’s not easy with Ernie reminding me of his existence a few times each day.
Ernie. :D:D That’s exactly how my wife and I refer to mine.

By the way Tony, I had heard nothing but I chased it up day before yesterday.

I had open surgery for an inguinal hernia 6 or 7 years ago. Recovery time was in the order of 6 weeks, or rather I left it that long before resuming driving etc. It was uneventful but I was able to take it very easy being retired at that time. I occasionally get a bit of an ache there but as long as I don’t push it it seems to be ok.

advertisement

Back