advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
I joined PFM at 54 yrs old.. in 2003...

I'm now 72.

Makes you think... That time has flown over..

I was remarking on another fave site that in 12 months I've gone from being able to walk several miles.. to struggling with a mile. Also gone from generally active and strong..to feeling weak .slow etc...

I do keep trying to do stuff.. but it feels like a losing battle.

Anyone of similar age with views on this?

Clearly.. we are all going... but I'd like to stay active..

Any views from other old Gits?

I'm now 72.

I was remarking on another fave site that in 12 months I've gone from being able to walk several miles.. to struggling with a mile. Also gone from generally active and strong..to feeling weak .slow etc...

First, don't despair. You have many years and decades ahead of you!

Second, walking a mile is excellent! Those of us with spinal stenosis and other conditions, would find it an excellent accomplishment.

Third, connect with your family and friends. You are FAR from being unable to provide in many meaningful ways to multiple people.

Chin up! Get another cartridge, I say!

I'm now 72.

I started a Frisbee Group last year. We've members from 11-72... Daughter and Father at either end and all ages between. Frisbee is a brilliant form of Excercise... Just a thought! :)

Aren't there some hormones or steroids you can take to make you feel young again? I was watching a YouTube video a while back about older MMA fighters that were taking something that was making them fight like younger men. IIRC it was all legal and above board but controversial. I also didn't see any mention of it not being safe to take either.

One of my workmates suffered a stroke about five years ago. He was in his mid-30s. Then a couple of weeks ago, against drs orders, he was on his Peloton bike and had a heart attack. He died twice. Has a young kiddie, a demanding wife, and what sounds like a defibrillator permanently fitted.

He’s 41.

I would strongly recommend Pilates. For years now I have been going once a week to a 1 hour class. It first off cured my chronic back problems acquired during the years when I was driving 35 to 45K miles per annum. During the lockdown the class stopped and recently the back issues started to come back. So 3 weeks ago I started with the same teacher using Zoom. Quite painful to start with but already improving. I was shocked how weak my left side had got compared to the dominant right - I'm right handed. Its a clear case of use it or lose it and a structured workout balanced across the body is well worthwhile.

It's weird, in my mind you lot are all about 50 and I'm in my late-30s. I'm actually 48 so it's no surprise that some of you are... are age-appropriate wiser ;)

I wonder if there's a phenomenon called 'forum age' whereby the age you join a forum is the 'virtual age' at which you remain on that forum till death do you part. I joined in September 2012 so I'm virtually only 39 years old - result!

Good Morning from sunny France.

I joined PFM Jan 12 2004.

I realised over the last few years how much body strength I was losing when moving 1 metre long logs and cutting them in half. Then last year I developed a carpel tunnel problem. While seeing the surgeon for said problem he said ok just an ECG then next week we will operate. After the ECG I was trundled down the corridor to see another Doc. Chatting after further tests he said well you have had a heart attack in the last year!!!

A few weeks later after 4 stents and being informed that part of my heart was knackered here I am still plodding on.

My life was pretty full, dog walking and photography, now I can barely pick up my camera and 500mm lens (bird photography), waiting to come off blood thinners, so I can have my carpel tunnel op. I am 78 by the way.

Dave.

P.S No grammar police please English grammar is not my strongest point.

I'm now 72.

You could follow the example of Prince Siddhartha

After leading a sheltered existence surrounded by luxury and pleasure in his younger years, Prince Siddhārtha ventured out of his palace for the first time at the age of 29.[2][3] He set off from the palace to the city in a chariot, accompanied by his charioteer Channa (Sanskrit: Chandaka).[4]

On this journey he first saw an old man, revealing to Siddhārtha the consequences of aging.[5] When the prince asked about this person, Channa replied that aging was something that happened to all beings alike.[4]

The second sight was of a sick person suffering from a disease. Once again, the prince was surprised at the sight, and Channa explained that all beings are subject to disease and pain. This further troubled the mind of the prince.[4]

The third sight was of a dead body. As before, Channa explained to the prince that death is an inevitable fate that befalls everyone.[4]After seeing these three sights, Siddhārtha was troubled in his mind and sorrowful about the sufferings that have to be endured in life.[6]

After seeing these three negative sights, Siddhārtha came upon the fourth sight, an ascetic who had devoted himself to finding the cause of human suffering.[7] This sight gave him hope that he too might be released from the sufferings arising from being repeatedly reborn,[3] and he resolved to follow the ascetic's example.[4]

After observing these four sights, Siddhārtha returned to the palace, where a performance of dancing girls was arranged for him. Throughout the performance, the prince kept on thinking about the sights. In the early hours of morning, he finally looked about him and saw the dancers asleep and in disarray. The sight of this drastic change strengthened his resolve to leave in search of an end to the suffering of beings.[8][9]

After this incident and realizing the true nature of life after observing the four sights,[3] Siddhārtha left the palace on his horse Kanthaka, accompanied only by Channa. He sent Channa back with his possessions and began an ascetic life, at the end of which he attained enlightenment as Gautama Buddha.

(I’m not being entirely frivolous. I really believe that there is no other “solution”)

I am 72 as well. I used to walk for miles but the journey of 3 miles each way to get my jab ended with a few days of serious muscle pains. Light exercise only is possible. I have a few age related illnesses, nothing too serious.

I can do gardening for short periods only. The big news this month was to buy a self propelled electric grass mower. Otherwise I was going to pay for a gardener. Despite being a petrol head I gave up driving a few year ago, lack of trusting my thought processes in fast cars.

Fortunately my collections of philosophy books and CDs keep me very occupied and fulfilled.

I was 57 when I joined pfm, now 71. Yes Mull, getting old can be a real p*sser, and the speed at which time passes appears to increase at a scary rate. Bits wear out, other bits hurt, but I've learned to mostly accept this and carry on as though these things will get better eventually and think about the things I enjoy, even though some of these are becoming harder or just impossible to do.

I've just renewed my passport (now a pathetic little black booklet) for probably the last time. My walking boots will no doubt outlast me, as will my stereo speakers (if SWMBO doesn't put an axe through them first). I've owned sports cars since I was nineteen, and my latest will be my last. But in some ways, these things are strangely comforting, it simplifies life as you become less and less able to cope with change.

Anyway, it's a lovely day & I'm off to the garden centre. Spring is here! Might as well enjoy the few I've got left...

advertisement

Back