advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you voted leave, left the UK and set up in the EU, and business in the EU is fine. I think the only bit you missed was "I'm all right Jack" . Well, you f*ed my business, and made my future life a lot more difficult, thanks a bunch.
I'm not sure. But....I do feel energized by massive change like this and I am sure we could work any further changes to our advantage. Eg e-tailing from the Irish border could also be interesting.

Absolutely. GDP per capita of the EU is twice that of the world. Should they throw the doors open and halve it ?
Or do what you did by voting your fellow citizens out of the club while you do everything you can to keep your business, and the benefits of staying, in it ?
I'm not sure. But....I do feel energized by massive change like this and I am sure we could work any further changes to our advantage. Eg e-tailing from the Irish border could also be interesting.

Both businesses are thriving, the uk and the EU one. It was what we thought would happen.
And there's the "I'm all right Jack" . I'm pleased for you. My business is selling my services to food manufacturer s in the UK and Europe. It's taken me all over the UK, to France and Ireland. Post Brexit, have a guess what's happened to the EU work.

And there's the "I'm all right Jack" . I'm pleased for you. My business is selling my services to food manufacturer s in the UK and Europe. It's taken me all over the UK, to France and Ireland. Post Brexit, have a guess what's happened to the EU work.
Indeed. Friend of mine is a techy on large temporary video installations. He used to work regularly on the grand prix, and festival, circuit across Europe. This last year there’s been no work due to Covid, but when it resumes, he’s doubtful he’ll get most of the European stuff back. I hope, for his sake, he’s mistaken but he knows his field better than me, obvs.

Everything in the garden was roses until Brexit came along?

Nearly a quarter of a century after paramilitary groups officially declared ceasefires, they continue to exert dominance via extortion and bloodshed. They are also still recruiting, according to the Police Service of Northern Ireland, who consider young people especially vulnerable, as gangs use drug debts to blackmail them into membership. Between June 2018 and June 2019 there was one paramilitary-style punishment attack every four days in the North.

Seen as an alternative ‘quick fix’ to the traditional justice system, victims as young as 16, are sentenced to beatings, shootings and kneecappings. The current deterrant designed to spread fear among supposed ‘wrongdoers’ is called a ‘six pack’ and involves shooting the victim in the knees, ankles and elbows, when their alleged offence is considered particularly heinous. Chief Constable of the PSNI, George Hamilton, warned two years ago that parents had begun numbing their children with alcohol and painkillers in advance of ‘appointments’ with these ‘punishment gangs’.

The very architecture of Belfast, an otherwise modern European capital city, betrays the shaky foundations of supposed normality built upon the 1998 Good Friday peace agreement.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2020/7/12/could-this-be-belfasts-most-peaceful-summer

Still the promised food and medicine shortages have yet to emerge so best focus our 'told you so'
vindication of our beliefs somewhere.

Everything in the garden was roses until Brexit came along?

Nearly a quarter of a century after paramilitary groups officially declared ceasefires, they continue to exert dominance via extortion and bloodshed. They are also still recruiting, according to the Police Service of Northern Ireland, who consider young people especially vulnerable, as gangs use drug debts to blackmail them into membership. Between June 2018 and June 2019 there was one paramilitary-style punishment attack every four days in the North.

Seen as an alternative ‘quick fix’ to the traditional justice system, victims as young as 16, are sentenced to beatings, shootings and kneecappings. The current deterrant designed to spread fear among supposed ‘wrongdoers’ is called a ‘six pack’ and involves shooting the victim in the knees, ankles and elbows, when their alleged offence is considered particularly heinous. Chief Constable of the PSNI, George Hamilton, warned two years ago that parents had begun numbing their children with alcohol and painkillers in advance of ‘appointments’ with these ‘punishment gangs’.

The very architecture of Belfast, an otherwise modern European capital city, betrays the shaky foundations of supposed normality built upon the 1998 Good Friday peace agreement.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2020/7/12/could-this-be-belfasts-most-peaceful-summer

Still the promised food and medicine shortages have yet to emerge so best focus our 'told you so'
vindication of our beliefs somewhere.
Organised crime exists in Belfast as well as in other cities? Well, who knew?

The jury is out on the economy, influence and significance. The concession of the EU's 'deficiencies' is a platitude, because when it comes to specifics, the EU is always right, and the UK is always wrong.

That's a cop out, not a jury out. Tell that to those currently going out of business. The reduced significance is undeniable - there is no jury out about that either, the main players like the US have already confirmed as much. The UK isn't always wrong but it is on Brexit, a ridiculous slice off nose to spite face.

Steve, have you ever interrogated your own assumptions. Do you ask yourself how or if the UK has greater significance or influence as an EU member. I'd be interested to hear what you mean by that, how you define it.

His government’s own impact assessment, concealed then forced into the public domain, quantified the damage. The jury isn’t out, Brexit is performing in line with the ugly predictions. Even the civil disorder has arrived on cue.

I suppose that, given 5 years of frantic predictions, beginning with the pre-referendum Treasury modelling (that was almost uniformly wrong) through all the to-ing and fro-ing that has taken place since, you are guaranteed to find something that slots in with your particular set of prejudices. Even given that, I suspect there's no small amount of rewriting of history taking place.

That's a very binary view of the world you have there. I'm sure most people here have views that are shades of grey rather than the pure, distilled and passionate hatred of the EU you present here.
Looking at my sample of 1: pro-EU but not anti-UK. Pro-Remain but anti-2nd referendum. I'm sorry the UK left, because I think it is bad (not only for me and my family but also for the country in general), but it's water under the bridge and I see the upside (mostly for the EU) of the UK being out. Certainly anti-Cameron/May/BoJo, because of what they have done to the UK, but not liberal-left (one of those awful centrist/moderate traitors, although I despise Swinson).

OK, but when it boils down to it, you're no different from everyone else here in that you're basically running out the slightly tiring platitude that the EU isn't perfect, but when it boils down to the nitty-gritty, we find that the EU can do no wrong. I hear no questioning of the EU's blindly stupid and completely unnecessary maximalist interpretation of the NIP from you, just the standard, brain-dead 'the UK wrote it/agreed to it/signed it, so the UK must implement it' line.

In the meantime, the first firebomb has been pulled out from under a young PSNI mother's car. It was fixed just beneath the child seat.

OK, but when it boils down to it, you're no different from everyone else here in that you're basically running out the slightly tiring platitude that the EU isn't perfect, but when it boils down to the nitty-gritty, we find that the EU can do no wrong. I hear no questioning of the EU's blindly stupid and completely unnecessary maximalist interpretation of the NIP from you, just the standard, brain-dead 'the UK wrote it/agreed to it/signed it, so the UK must implement it' line.
There are many things you don’t seem to hear or see.
But in summary, you’re saying, “all other posters here are tiresome and blinkered”.

I suspect that's true of all of us.

I interrogate myself every day, more so since December that ever before. I've found myself on some pretty arid ground.

OK.
I dunno about these interrogation sessions of yours. Time to try another technique?

Steve, have you ever interrogated your own assumptions. Do you ask yourself how or if the UK has greater significance or influence as an EU member. I'd be interested to hear what you mean by that, how you define it.

I suppose that, given 5 years of frantic predictions, beginning with the pre-referendum Treasury modelling (that was almost uniformly wrong) through all the to-ing and fro-ing that has taken place since, you are guaranteed to find something that slots in with your particular set of prejudices. Even given that, I suspect there's no small amount of rewriting of history taking place.

In the meantime, the first firebomb has been pulled out from under a young PSNI mother's car. It was fixed just beneath the child seat.
How low are you prepared to go in supporting Johnson?

OK.
I dunno about these interrogation sessions of yours. Time to try another technique?

Well, you've heard me questioning myself on the hit to the agrifoods exporters right here. I'm not sure that I've ever heard you question your stance on the EU generally, and on the EU's NIP policy in particular.

Where would the forum be without your thought provoking, on topic interjections, I wonder.... Must be frustrating that you don’t actually know how I voted in the referendum so you make it up.

We had a referendum and the vote was in favour of leaving the EU. These things have to be honoured.
Given that you support gettinitdun I don't care whether or how you voted. Same with ET.

That's just the other side of it. I'm not going to vote for other people. I voted for what I believed would benefit me. What's wrong with that?

^^ EV there would be no need to 'question the EU's maximalist interpretation of the NIP' or anything else if not for Brexit.
Whether the ensuing problems could be managed better or worse is irrelevant to me because Brexit itself was a mistake based on misinformation/short-term view.

Given that you support gettinitdun I don't care whether or how you voted. Same with ET.
Fine. Just so it’s clear supporting ‘gettinitdun’ is supporting democracy, trying to ignore/overturn the referendum result is ‘Trumpian’.

What’s happened to the EU work and for what reason(s) exactly?

What’s happened to the EU work and for what reason(s) exactly?

FFS Brian, whereas before Brexit qualifications were recognised across the EU and no work permits were required, now qualifications are not recognised and work permits are required. Lots of my mates are stuck in the U.K. as companies will not go through the paperwork and what’s more people I know here have told me that they were interested in going to the U.K. to work but can no longer be bothered “because of Brexit”. The U.K. loses out both ways, it’s a s4it show.

FFS Brian, whereas before Brexit qualifications were recognised across the EU and no work permits were required, now qualifications are not recognised and work permits are required. Lots of my mates are stuck in the U.K. as companies will not go through the paperwork and what’s more people I know here have told me that they were interested in going to the U.K. to work but can no longer be bothered “because of Brexit”. The U.K. loses out both ways, it’s a s4it show.
No need for the ‘FFS’ but never mind.

Basically, nothing has happened to the work, the lad just hasn’t bothered to submit the EU required paperwork? FFS why not?

Given the decades of being ‘in step’ there is no reason why qualifications should not be recognised between the UK and EU members. This red tape should and could have been sorted prior to leaving but unfortunately everything was rejected in favour of overturning the referendum completely so we are where we are. It’s a combination of EU rules and a reluctance to apply for a work permit.

How do people manage to obtain agreement to work in EU countries who are from countries that are not part of the EU?

What were the EEC rules for this compared with EU rules? I don’t recall such difficulties in the past, people from all over the world have moved to other countries for work for many years long before the EU simply appeared on the scene.

The ‘s4it show’ has to be made to work. For that we need cooperation between the EU and the UK. The EU has never shown any inclination to cooperate so I’m not holding out much hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back