advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an (almost) isolated pro-UK, anti-EU, conservative voice on a forum thread dominated by UK-loathing, liberal-left EU sycophants and I'm in a minority of (roughly) one. Well, you could blow me down with a feather!

There are no 'easy' solutions, though it would be a great help if the European Commission would stop behaving like a particularly vindictive jilted bride.
I'm on your side for most things brexit.....I only have a microscopic view of the impact of Brexit (ie the motorbike accessories market) but my word the protectionist nature of the EU has been incredible for business for me, as I always thought it would.

We see criticism of the EU for being protectionist. Just by way of comparison, would people say it is more, less, or similarly protectionist when compared to the other big trading blocs, the USA, China, Russia?

We see criticism of the EU for being protectionist. Just by way of comparison, would people say it is more, less, or similarly protectionist when compared to the other big trading blocs, the USA, China, Russia?

What does protectionist mean ?
It means protection of higher wages, IP of research, quality of product, quality of food, the effect on environment/security of self-sufficiency of food, recycling of waste, long-term view not spiral down on short-term prices etc
Almost anything can be made cheaper if you don't care about quality or the environment.
Ironically the UK is the least competitive (removing financial services) G7 country and we will see the result of Brexit over the next 10 years.

I'm having a load of fun trying to get some IT Hardware through Greek customs at the moment - Brexit, the gift that keeps on taking...

What does protectionist mean ?
It means protection of higher wages, IP of research, quality of product, quality of food, the effect on environment/security of self-sufficiency of food, recycling of waste, long-term view not spiral down on short-term prices etc
Almost anything can be made cheaper if you don't care about quality or the environment.
Ironically the UK is the least competitive (removing financial services) G7 country and we will see the result of Brexit over the next 10 years.
It means stopping people that are not in the club having what you have.

That's a very binary view of the world you have there. I'm sure most people here have views that are shades of grey rather than the pure, distilled and passionate hatred of the EU you present here.
Looking at my sample of 1: pro-EU but not anti-UK. Pro-Remain but anti-2nd referendum. I'm sorry the UK left, because I think it is bad (not only for me and my family but also for the country in general), but it's water under the bridge and I see the upside (mostly for the EU) of the UK being out. Certainly anti-Cameron/May/BoJo, because of what they have done to the UK, but not liberal-left (one of those awful centrist/moderate traitors, although I despise Swinson).
Wrong. There isn’t any hatred of the EU presented here, just valid criticism where appropriate, for example the shocking behaviour over vaccines. For the hard remainers there is no grey, either.

While there may not be hatred of the UK displayed here there is plenty of dislike, eg a lot of general comment that is not criticism or dislike of the tory govt.

Wrong. There isn’t any hatred of the EU presented here, just valid criticism where appropriate, for example the shocking behaviour over vaccines. For the hard remainers there is no grey, either.

While there may not be hatred of the UK displayed here there is plenty of dislike, eg a lot of general comment that is not criticism or dislike of the tory govt.
ET lite....

It means stopping people that are not in the club having what you have.

Absolutely. GDP per capita of the EU is twice that of the world. Should they throw the doors open and halve it ?
Or do what you did by voting your fellow citizens out of the club while you do everything you can to keep your business, and the benefits of staying, in it ?

Last edited:
I'm on your side for most things brexit.....I only have a microscopic view of the impact of Brexit (ie the motorbike accessories market) but my word the protectionist nature of the EU has been incredible for business for me, as I always thought it would.
So you voted leave, left the UK and set up in the EU, and business in the EU is fine. I think the only bit you missed was "I'm all right Jack" . Well, you f*ed my business, and made my future life a lot more difficult, thanks a bunch.

So you voted leave, left the UK and set up in the EU, and business in the EU is fine. I think the only bit you missed was "I'm all right Jack" . Well, you f*ed my business, and made my future life a lot more difficult, thanks a bunch.
Brexit was only ever for the little people.

Ah, that'd be the thick, uneducated ones.
You could be forgiven for thinking that is the view of the Tories. Mogg tells them to vote for it then advises his clients to move their money with him to the EU. Lord Lawson curses the EU then applies for post-Brexit residence rights in the EU. Dyson and Ratcliffe exhort their employees and the wider public to vote for Brexit then move their factories out of Britain, in Ratcliffe’s case to the EU. The DUP demand Brexit then scuttle to get their Irish EU passports.
The chickens will come home to roost EV.

ET lite....
Where would the forum be without your thought provoking, on topic interjections, I wonder.... Must be frustrating that you don’t actually know how I voted in the referendum so you make it up.

We had a referendum and the vote was in favour of leaving the EU. These things have to be honoured.

Brexit was only ever for the little people.

You could be forgiven for thinking that is the view of the Tories. Mogg tells them to vote for it then advises his clients to move their money with him to the EU. Lord Lawson curses the EU then applies for post-Brexit residence rights in the EU. Dyson and Ratcliffe exhort their employees and the wider public to vote for Brexit then move their factories out of Britain, in Ratcliffe’s case to the EU. The DUP demand Brexit then scuttle to get their Irish EU passports.
The chickens will come home to roost EV.
So not for the little people after all. Increased your post count though. Well done.

Both businesses are thriving, the uk and the EU one. It was what we thought would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back