advertisement

CD storage

Not to send the thread off on a tangent but I don't think I could ever get rid of my CDs. Looking at the album cover, band photos, reading the lyrics, liner notes etc is all part of the music experience. imagine if music had always just been a soulless audio file with no associated imagery, it be shite.
There's a technological solution there. Imagine if a "soulless audio file" came with a link to the net showing everything you speak of. A video of "the making of", band interviews, reviews. That would be anything but shite. That would be, certainly could be, better than a 5" square booklet.

There's a technological solution there. Imagine if a "soulless audio file" came with a link to the net showing everything you speak of. A video of "the making of", band interviews, reviews. That would be anything but shite. That would be, certainly could be, better than a 5" square booklet.

it just wouldn’t be the same :(:) I’d lose the memories of when I first heard it, sitting in my room with my wee booklet, listening away.

it just wouldn’t be the same :(:) I’d lose the memories of when I first heard it, sitting in my room with my wee booklet, listening away.
I know how you feel, but you really are saying that you were happier looking up things in your grandad's dusty encyclopaedias than on the internet, because that's what you did in the day.

I know how you feel, but you really are saying that you were happier looking up things in your grandad's dusty encyclopaedias than on the internet, because that's what you did in the day.

Except back in the olden days people didn't have generally unhealthy relationships with their grandad's dusty encyclopedias, constantly turning to them the second their brains enter an idle state. The last thing I want to do when really listening to music is to stare at a glowing hand-held distraction box.

Except back in the olden days people didn't have generally unhealthy relationships with their grandad's dusty encyclopedias, constantly turning to them the second their brains enter an idle state. The last thing I want to do when really listening to music is to stare at a glowing hand-held distraction box.
That's nothing to do with the medium and everything to do with the individual. We all remember being told that we would have square eyes through watching too much TV. Now you think that young people spend too much time looking at screens. They always did. What's changed? You've got older.

That's nothing to do with the medium and everything to do with the individual. We all remember being told that we would have square eyes through watching too much TV. Now you think that young people spend too much time looking at screens. They always did. What's changed? You've got older.

You missed the point. It wasn't a "kids these days" argument. It was an acknowledgment that it's far too easy for humans of any age to get sidetracked on a handheld computer that is connected to the entire knowledgebase of humanity and with a deep reserve of cat videos. Contrast that with a simple CD booklet or record sleeve where, if you can find distraction in it, I would want to send you off for study.

I had also been searching for some CD storage for some time, thanks to @Tony L & @windhoek, I had overlooked the Besta units on the IKEA website.
It took over two months of waiting for them to be in stock and get delivered but I’ve finally got them on the wall and filled this weekend.

Quite like the look of these. Are these the standard £15 Bests units? Did you get the doors from IKEA too?

Quite like the look of these. Are these the standard £15 Bests units? Did you get the doors from IKEA too?

Yes, they are the standard units (60x20x38cm) and the doors are from the Besta range. The doors, hinges, shelves and wall mounting brackets considerably raise the price. The total for the lot was £630.

Yes, they are the standard units (60x20x38cm) and the doors are from the Besta range. The doors, hinges, shelves and wall mounting brackets considerably raise the price. The total for the lot was £630.

Ooft quite expensive. How many CDs is that holding roughly? I think I've just under 3000. Ideally I could be doing with having them covered up as I'm moving them in to a room at the front of the house which gets the sun. They've always been in a back sunless bedroom since 1994 :). Although I'm thinking it's going to be pretty much impossible to open the doors if they are all stacked up, I see you've left a wee gap between each unit, easy enough to get into them all.

Ooft quite expensive. How many CDs is that holding roughly? I think I've just under 3000. Ideally I could be doing with having them covered up as I'm moving them in to a room at the front of the house which gets the sun. They've always been in a back sunless bedroom since 1994 :). Although I'm thinking it's going to be pretty much impossible to open the doors if they are all stacked up, I see you've left a wee gap between each unit, easy enough to get into them all.

The basic doors start at £15, the ones I have were £35, so there is a possible saving there.

It’s holding around 900 CD’s and I still have one cabinet empty (for future acquisitions!). The doors have a push-to-open mechanism, you give the door a push and it’s springs open enough to allow you to open it fully with your hand.

The basic doors start at £15, the ones I have were £35, so there is a possible saving there.

It’s holding around 900 CD’s and I still have one cabinet empty (for future acquisitions!). The doors have a push-to-open mechanism, you give the door a push and it’s springs open enough to allow you to open it fully with your hand.

Think I might go down this route, saves them getting all discoloured from the sun. I do like your fancy dear doors there, I think if I stack a lot of them up with just white gloss doors it might look a bit mortuary like :)

advertisement

Back