advertisement

pray for minneapolis

The only possible verdict, based on what I have seen and read.

I look forward to the right-wingers who were happy to run interference for Chauvin a couple of days ago returning to this thread and acknowledging their mistake.

The right verdict, and the only way to go in future, but he also pays for the whole lot before him, who usually got away with their crimes. Also, if proven 'not guilty', 1992 LA riots would pale into insignificance compared to the US- or even worldwide protests that would ensue. Blood would flow.

Interesting future for police recruitment now. Having to be:
Intelligent, quick thinking, considerate, unbiased, capable of controlled aggression, tough, kind, socially aware, unpredjudiced and etc is right of course, but from where will they recruit enough officers of that kind? I hope they can and do, because now is the time do do it.

Oh and Chauvin? Just another asshole welcomed in by the cops who appreciate having some 'hardmen' around. Sometimes such people are needed I suppose, but although he deserved this verdict, there is, in my mind, just a concern for how the newnice police may well be lining themselves up for exploitation by societies less well mannered members. Those who (like the finest of number 8's in Rugby Union) know just how far to break the law. I see crime, I see litigation, I see troubled and muddled times ahead.
Except for the bastard lawyers ofc. They'll win, as they always do.

It's a good day, but there's trouble ahead IMO.

Oh and Chauvin? Just another asshole welcomed in by the cops who appreciate having some 'hardmen' around.
Tackleberry from "Police Academy" springs to mind. Spends the evening polishing his gun.

Sometimes such people are needed I suppose, but although he deserved this verdict, there is, in my mind, just a concern for how the newnice police may well be lining themselves up for exploitation by societies less well mannered members.
Come on, you've seen enough buddy movies to know how it works. Clever young idealistic recruit is teamed up with cynical, hard-bitten, time served cop 6 months from his retirement. Rookie cop learns how to handle him/her self in the tough old world out there, cynical old cop learns that brawn needs brains to back it up, together they take down the cartel after some clever detective work and a good old fashioned gunfight at the end in which the old guy's life is saved by the quick thinking of the rookie and a well-thrown spanner. Cynical old cop decides to put back retirement for another year or two, rookie survives and decides that they won't go back to schoolteaching after all.

Although, I always had time for Dirty Harry.

“So, the question you have to ask yourself is,
are you feeling lucky? Well, are you, punk?”

Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

The judge’s comments about the congresswoman and her comments invalidating the trial make me fear Chauvin will not only appeal but will win his appeal.

The judge’s comments about the congresswoman and her comments invalidating the trial make me fear Chauvin will not only appeal but will win his appeal.

Why did the judge let the jury have access to media etc ? Perhaps for this very reason...

An enormous "Thank You" due to the 17 year old girl who took the video of this murder. Without her there would probably have been a different verdict and a lot of trouble on the streets.

Without the video Floyd probably would never have become a cause celebre.

Without the video Floyd probably would never have become a cause celebre.
He absolutely wouldn't have been. It would have been "resisted arrest, usual restraint procedures adopted, suspect continued struggling, it is possible that he injured himself and tragically later died". It wouldn't even have got to court.

He absolutely wouldn't have been. It would have been "resisted arrest, usual restraint procedures adopted, suspect continued struggling, it is possible that he injured himself and tragically later died". It wouldn't even have got to court.

Very much this.

I've seen the arrest and you can see and hear GF pleading with them. He is tearful, almost knowing he's going to die.

This is really upsetting but the true prevailed.

Chauvin knelt on George Floyd for 9 minutes and 29 seconds Vinny. While Floyd was saying "I can't breathe". And all for the alleged offence of passing a dodgy $20 note. "Meant no harm"? REALLY?

From what I have read of the trial the Minneapolis police establishment has tried to distance itself from Chauvin, say he was not following training etc. This completely ignores the culture of US policing. Chauvin did what he did because he thought he could get away with it. The culture will not change as long as events like this are pinned on individuals.
My take, based on viewing the video, with what Chauvin said and did and facial expression and how he held himself, is that
he held Floyd down for all that time because he was enjoying doing it. Agree with verdict certainly.

Looking at the Washington post front page this eve , the US "...Attorney General Merrick Garland announced a sweeping Justice Department probe into the practices and culture of the city’s police department, elevating the federal government’s role a day after former officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty in the murder of George Floyd."

First - thats a breath of fresh air compared to what one would expect 6months ago.

And even more seriously - let's hope that light a fire under the abusive culture(s) behind & condoning, perhaps enabling such dreadful acts (and I'd include the militarisation of policing in there); and that the findings stick, and are heard widely.

AFAIK Judge Peter Cahill denied a request from Defence Lawyer to sequester the jury. They went home every night and saw the media, and had access to smart phones.
They were sequestered after closing arguments. Did Maxine Water's comments come before or after that point?

advertisement

Back