advertisement

CD storage

You can estimate it from the size and shape of the boxes. I'd say 2 runs of about 40 discs. If you want a more precise figure, the Ikea website will have dimensions and you can work it out.

For calculation purposes CD jewel cases are 142 x 125 x 10.4mm

I dumped the jewel cases and got folders made for CDs, then put them into suitable IKEA cardboard boxes with lids. Just like record crates. Lived with that for a while but finally ripped them all to a hard disk, took a forthnight but worth it. Although it changed my listening habits from album listening to random track listening.

I’ve used this cheap white bookcase from Argos:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6092115
Advantages are that it’s cheap and shallow (unlike the Ikea Billy). To store CDs efficiently it needs extra shelves so you need to either buy another unit or cut some white covered chipboard from a DIY store.

With the shelves mounted space efficiently a unit takes 5 shelves ideally spaced for CDs. A little over 5- CDs per shelf, so ~250 total.

As I’m handy with woodworking tools I stacked two vertically and reduced their width to fit an alcove. Appropriate wall fixings also used to ensure safety.

1FAuVHN.jpg

@406v6, remarkably my CD collection mirrors yours incredibly closely, (with the exception of the Spandau Ballet and Abba offerings which I'm willing to forgive on this occasion), and we have numerous shared titles.

Sadly missing are the appropriate Prefab Sprout and XTC discs, but maybe one day you'll see the light.

tevec67, post: 4334274, member: 7450"]I sometimes use old wine boxes. The wooden crates that you can buy 12 bottles of wine in are sometimes available at wine merchants, with or without wine, and they are just the right size for 2 runs of CDs. You need to engineer a central shelf if you are using them vertically. The branding on the ends is rather attractive and they stand on shelves or each other.[/QUOTE]

What a good idea ! Two passions indulged in a complementary manner. Bravo et merci !

Stevec67, post: 4334274, member: 7450"]I sometimes use old wine boxes. The wooden crates that you can buy 12 bottles of wine in are sometimes available at wine merchants, with or without wine, and they are just the right size for 2 runs of CDs. You need to engineer a central shelf if you are using them vertically. The branding on the ends is rather attractive and they stand on shelves or each other.

What a good idea ! Two passions indulged in a complementary manner. Bravo et merci !
Y a pas de quoi.

Fellow fish, do you have any good DIY or already made CD storage ideas?
Try looking on Shelfstore website they do endless options of shelving, I have a great unit from them for CD’s, sensible prices and very quick delivery. You can plan your own bespoke option/sizes on their website and see a diagramatic of it.

I had also been searching for some CD storage for some time, thanks to @Tony L & @windhoek, I had overlooked the Besta units on the IKEA website.
It took over two months of waiting for them to be in stock and get delivered but I’ve finally got them on the wall and filled this weekend.

May I ask what the unit underneath is please? I like the look of that.

They are all the same depth, the bottom ones are stuck against a skirting board. They are Besta, but I can’t see the specific model anymore. They are double-width to the one you link too at 120x38cm. I guess you could stack the little ones for much the same effect, but it annoyed me they didn’t have the wide ones. I have actually got two of the shorter ones at diagonal ends in order to build quite a solid structure.
This?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/besta-frame-white-60245844/

Ikea have stopped selling Gnedby in the USA, I wouldn't be surprised if days are numbered in your countries too. If you need more, buy now before they disappear.

I'm not surprised.

Welcome to the 21at century. That's the better solution.

Not to send the thread off on a tangent but I don't think I could ever get rid of my CDs. Looking at the album cover, band photos, reading the lyrics, liner notes etc is all part of the music experience. imagine if music had always just been a soulless audio file with no associated imagery, it be shite.

advertisement

Back