advertisement

pray for minneapolis

Was he panicked, was he fearful? I don not know. Is he a racist? I do not know. Is he just hugely gung-ho? I do not know. Does he give a sh1t about anyone else in this world? I do not know.

I do not know and NOTHING anywhere, except being in the actual courtroom, would let me judge all of that.

I wish that everyone in this world did not jump to wild conclusions based on diddley-squat apart from tabloid headlines and internet babble.

Are you serious?
You’ve seen the video haven’t you? Did you have a similar opinion in the Rodney King (sorry if the name is incorrect) incident? In the most recent incident you see a man being murdered in front of people pleading with the officer. The officer wasn’t alone, several other officers were there, he wasn’t afraid or worried then.

You do realise how slanted their penal system is don’t you?

This isn’t something you need to research, it was a blatant killing, You are a witness. You get to see it yourself, if his knee was there two or three minutes it’d be two or three minutes too long. Period. He was cuffed and no threat to them. It’s all there for you to see, nothing the poor guy did before his life was taken should have a bearing on the case.

Murder, plain and simple. And we all had front row seats. It wasn’t even a police training restraint ffs.

When is the verdict? It's about 5 or 6 am in Minneapolis now, so I imagine that they have gone to bed and will reconvene in the morning. I imagine if they start again at 9am local time, they may have a verdict by 12, which is early evening UK time.

I agree in principle but you have to ask yourself if this wasn't murder (or, at the very least, manslaughter) what is?

Indeed. Or a police officer killed by being dragged behind a vehicle, for over a mile? That’s murder in my book too, others didn’t think so.

Indeed. Or a police officer killed by being dragged behind a vehicle, for over a mile? That’s murder in my book too, others didn’t think so.
I think a possible difference there might have been the strong possibility that the driver was panicking, which makes it difficult to be sure they intended to kill, which means murder would be a tough verdict to return. I'm less sure that an experienced policeman, using techniques they had been trained in, surrounded by colleagues and in no immediate danger, could reasonably be assumed to be experiencing the same degree of panic, but we'll have to wait for the verdict.

Yes, certainly a strong case for a murder verdict in that case (though I take SPT's point).

That's the difference between me and you. I try to be consistent, even when something doesn't fit my preconceptions.

We don't know - they're still deliberating.
Right now I doubt that they are, because they are asleep. It's the very early morning there and I doubt they make jurors deliberate all night, that's no way to get a sensible decision out of anyone. They will give them a meal and a hotel bed, and resume when people have slept and will make a reasoned decision rather than "yeah whatever - just let me go to sleep". So I imagine a resumption of proceedings mid afternoon UK time.

I think a possible difference there might have been the strong possibility that the driver was panicking, which makes it difficult to be sure they intended to kill, which means murder would be a tough verdict to return. I'm less sure that an experienced policeman, using techniques they had been trained in, surrounded by colleagues and in no immediate danger, could reasonably be assumed to be experiencing the same degree of panic, but we'll have to wait for the verdict.

Nobody needs to hold someone in that position for that length of time to restrain. There is no panic, certainly not for 9 minutes, plus the fact the individual was an alleged professional. The case of PC Harper also involved professionals at work. The intent was to steal or get away, whatever it took. I wish to God they’d just got away with the quad bikes.

Yes, certainly a strong case for a murder verdict in that case (though I take SPT's point).

That's the difference between me and you. I try to be consistent, even when something doesn't fit my preconceptions.

I couldn’t care less who anyone is. If they commit a crime, they should be punished. 100% consistently.

I couldn’t care less who anyone is. If they commit a crime, they should be punished. 100% consistently.
Well yes, but you need to think about what the legal definition of 'commit' implies, in the context of the 'crime' under consideration. If somebody does something and somebody else dies, it's not automatically murder. It could be anything from pure, no fault accident to murder, via manslaughter, corporate manslaughter, causing death by dangerous driving, whatever. The context of what happened, and what can be said to have been in the mind of the person doing the something, will be crucial. That's what I mean by the panic point, plus it alluded to something somebody else said, upthread.

Researching some ancestry stuff recently, I came across a set of reports of deaths/verdicts from the late 18th century in and around Bristol.

In one case, a man killed a woman when the carriage he was driving whilst drunk knocked her over. Now, you'd think that back then, they'd string you up as soon as look at you, but no; he was imprisoned for six months. In another case, one bloke who had been arguing with another bloke in a pub, followed him out, hit him with a brick and killed him. He was let off with a fine, because both had been drunk, so it wasn't seen to be an unprovoked attack.

Did it kick off at the Price Philip mournings? I thought it was 100% peaceful, as one would expect.
Why would you expect it to be peaceful at a mourning for Prince Philip, and not peaceful at a mourning for a woman who had been killed?

Edit, what Stevec67 said, too.

That's not what he asked, and we all know. We all know 2 similar events, one (covid) situation, one allowed, one not. One rule, all the time? Yeah. Right.

I think we should arrest pretty much everyone who was in Soho at the weekend. Minimal masks, minimal distancing. Clear breaches everywhere.

Why would you expect it to be peaceful at a mourning for Prince Philip, and not peaceful at a mourning for a woman who had been killed?

Edit, what Stevec67 said, too.

We all know the good folk mourning are not the problem. They weren’t the people throwing bottles etc.

advertisement

Back