advertisement

pray for minneapolis

It's their right to bear arms, some places have no effective policing so if someone enters your home then you can defend yourself per the American constitution or you can take up arms to defend said constitution but obviously that was when George Washington and his mates were cutting about now that right is completely out of control.

They have to ban gun ownership simple as that.
34 States have some form of Stand Your Ground (No duty to retreat) that applies to your home, garden, workplace and some States apply it to pretty much anywhere you are lawfully allowed to be.

Kneeling on someone's neck for more than 9 minutes while they squeal that they cannot breathe would seem to me to be a clear case of wishing to hurt someone. That they then go on to die as a direct result would therefore seem to be murder, or manslaughter at the very least.

True. But 9 minutes?

......................I was not there, unlike several people here. it appears.

Was he panicked, was he fearful? I don not know. Is he a racist? I do not know. Is he just hugely gung-ho? I do not know. Does he give a sh1t about anyone else in this world? I do not know.

I do not know and NOTHING anywhere, except being in the actual courtroom, would let me judge all of that.

I wish that everyone in this world did not jump to wild conclusions based on diddley-squat apart from tabloid headlines and internet babble.

Was he panicked, was he fearful? I don not know. Is he a racist? I do not know. Is he just hugely gung-ho? I do not know. Does he give a sh1t about anyone else in this world? I do not know.

I do not know and NOTHING anywhere, except being in the actual courtroom, would let me judge all of that.

I wish that everyone in this world did not jump to wild conclusions based on diddley-squat apart from tabloid headlines and internet babble.
We've seen the video mate.

All nine and a half minutes of it.

Murder.

Perhaps Vinny would feel differently had he watched some of the trial on TV. I did, and it was very difficult and emotional. But then, I live in Minneapolis. One of my favorite record stores is just down the street from where Floyd died. I desperately want to see this city calm down, and then make serious changes to how we employ police.

Recall this is a cop with 22 prior complaints, most for use of excessive force. It is also not the first suspect he tried to choke out. If Chauvin had taken his knee off Floyd’s neck after a minute or two, then I might have been persuaded that manslaughter was the correct charge. 9+ minutes shows intent. This was murder, period.

I want to have faith that the jury saw the trial as I did, but we all know how unpredictable a verdict can be.

I agree in principle but you have to ask yourself if this wasn't murder (or, at the very least, manslaughter) what is?

Agreed. No matter what occurred beforehand that resulted in Floyd being on the floor with a policeman kneeling on his neck the simple fact he wasn’t resisting and was pleading that he couldn’t breathe for so long is all the evidence anyone needs to see. The policeman had a huge amount of time to analyse a changing situation and alter his behaviour, yet he chose to keep his full weight on a dying man’s neck. Thankfully the whole thing was filmed so no one needs to rely on testimonies etc. It was what it was. We saw it. Anything less than a murder verdict would be an utter disgrace.

I agree in principle but you have to ask yourself if this wasn't murder (or, at the very least, manslaughter) what is?
I saw the video but I do not think it gives me an entitlement jump to any conclusions about criminal responsibility.

The US has many degrees of murder. The jury will decide which, if any, it is.

Agreed. No matter what occurred beforehand that resulted in Floyd being on the floor with a policeman kneeling on his neck the simple fact he wasn’t resisting and was pleading that he couldn’t breathe for so long is all the evidence anyone needs to see. The policeman had a huge amount of time to analyse a changing situation and alter his behaviour, yet he chose to keep his full weight on a dying man’s neck. Thankfully the whole thing was filmed so no one needs to rely on testimonies etc. It was what it was. We saw it. Anything less than a murder verdict would be an utter disgrace.
This forum has a history of delivering the verdict before the trial (and in one case where no trials ever took place) and getting it wrong.

There will be no "right" verdict.

I am certain the cop meant no harm to the extent of killing the guy, but beyond that is a whole can o' worms.
I’m certain he did. He kept the pressure on way beyond the point where George Floyd lost consciousness and only let up when the paramedics arrived. And even then they had to ask him to. He wanted to make sure.

The other cops on the scene were just letting it happen and are almost as culpable IMO. “Protect and serve”, my arse.

Oh and I have been following the trial.

There will be no "right" verdict.

I am certain the cop meant no harm to the extent of killing the guy, but beyond that is a whole can o' worms.
I disagree. This policeman has a long history of violence against people he ostensibly serves.

The REAL problem @James, and @twotone, is that you seek to see the very worst in people, maybe because you are like-minded.

Me - I give people the benefit of the doubt, I like to see people at their best until proven otherwise. I do not presume to "understand" people as being any worse than/different to me.

I lived through the Gulf War and saw at first hand what jingoism and the like did to ordinary people. I have seen what blind panic does to people. You would not recognise your closest relative or friend under such conditions. You really have not the very first clue.

You both have a very nice day.
You lived through the war as a combatant?

If you don't know, you can learn. This policeman had a long history of complaints - violence toward folk, excessive force.

advertisement

Back