advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really down to Brexit.
There are still other themes ongoing outside of Brexit, I know...hard to believe.
Security in all its forms is one. One company I personally like is expanding it's offering to cover a wider range of biometrics.
We have some good tech companies here, and staffing costs are still pretty reasonable (up here in the NW anyway).
I think there's every chance that the UK will pull out of this covid malaise quicker than mainland Europe too.
Thanks, the context did seem to imply you were attributing this to Brexit, so thanks for the clarification.

My apologies to those here who don't actually hate the UK, and aren't actually supine, gagging EUphiles, its just, given the dominant 'the UK can do no right, and the EU can do absolutely no wrong' narrative, it is quite hard to draw any other conclusion.

It’s the Boston (Lincolnshire) school of economic theory. Every negative economic indicator: nowt to do with Brexit. Any flattening out of negative economic indicators: the economic miracle of Brexit is at hand. There inevitably has to be economic growth- we are after all at the nadir of the single largest economic recession since records began. The only reason it’s not a ‘depression’ is because the government became payroll for millions of workers who would have seen their firms close and their jobs vanish.

Ah, this would be the voice of the Perth (Scotland) school of performative victimhood, whereby every positive economic indicator for the UK would be due to absolutely anything but Brexit or (Westminster) government policy, and that features selective amnesia over the fact that the same Westminster government became payroll for hundreds of thousands of Scottish workers who would have seen their firms close and their jobs vanish.

Correct, tax is a reserved power with few minor exceptions. Revenues collected in Scotland flow to the Treasury in London. Indicate the victimhood would you?

My apologies to those here who don't actually hate the UK, and aren't actually supine, gagging EUphiles, its just, given the dominant 'the UK can do no right, and the EU can do absolutely no wrong' narrative, it is quite hard to draw any other conclusion.

Not this nonsense again.

Presumably you think you're capable of prioritising your desire for Brexit over any misgivings you might have (if indeed you do have) about Johnson and Farage. Yet you believe others to be incapable of forming similar priorities.

Being very strongly opposed to the UK's exit, on the quite simple grounds that it trashes our economy, removes our influence and significantly reduces our global significance, doesn't make anyone blind to the EU's deficiencies. It's just that they pale compared to the scale of self harm being done closer to home by Brexit and our priority is every bit as much the UK as yours.

The jury is out on the economy, influence and significance. The concession of the EU's 'deficiencies' is a platitude, because when it comes to specifics, the EU is always right, and the UK is always wrong.

This is the place you go to when you’ve run out of ‘stuff’ EV and no one’s buying what you’re selling. The patriotism card. Its usually expressed in that Charles Moore anodyne language, the tone quite controlled- ‘more in sorrow than in anger’ but the contempt is there just under the surface, concealed as EV house rules dictate. It comes out in the labels. You should let it hang out more, I don’t think it’s good for you keeping it screwed down like that- something will pop!

The jury is out on the economy, influence and significance. The concession of the EU's 'deficiencies' is a platitude, because when it comes to specifics, the EU is always right, and the UK is always wrong.

That's a cop out, not a jury out. Tell that to those currently going out of business. The reduced significance is undeniable - there is no jury out about that either, the main players like the US have already confirmed as much. The UK isn't always wrong but it is on Brexit, a ridiculous slice off nose to spite face.

That's a cop out, not a jury out. Tell that to those currently going out of business. The reduced significance is undeniable - there is no jury out about that either, the main players like the US have already confirmed as much. The UK isn't always wrong but it is on Brexit, a ridiculous slice off nose to spite face.
No, Brexit is a spectacular success.
Or will be, some time soon, or in the next fifty years. It will be good for the UK, and if not for the UK then for some other economy. Mark my words.
(Dublin and Amsterdam looking good.)

This is the place you go to when you’ve run out of ‘stuff’ EV and no one’s buying what you’re selling. The patriotism card. Its usually expressed in that Charles Moore anodyne language, the tone quite controlled- ‘more in sorrow than in anger’ but the contempt is there just under the surface, concealed as EV house rules dictate. It comes out in the labels. You should let it hang out more, I don’t think it’s good for you keeping it screwed down like that- something will pop!

Elucidate a bit more clearly, would you please. If anyone is holding something in, I think it might well be you.

His government’s own impact assessment, concealed then forced into the public domain, quantified the damage. The jury isn’t out, Brexit is performing in line with the ugly predictions. Even the civil disorder has arrived on cue.

The jury should never have been asked to consider the issue.

The specifics of which you speak are those strawmen you keep inventing.

The reality always was, and remains, that the EU was never "always right" nor the UK "always wrong". That binary rubbish exists only in your mind.

The reality was that the UK in the EU enjoyed enormous benefits which you and yours denied us. The fact you continue to troll that our current problems are the EU's fault is pathetic.

I'm an (almost) isolated pro-UK, anti-EU, conservative voice on a forum thread dominated by UK-loathing, liberal-left EU sycophants and I'm in a minority of (roughly) one. Well, you could blow me down with a feather!

There are no 'easy' solutions, though it would be a great help if the European Commission would stop behaving like a particularly vindictive jilted bride.

Enough have answered your remarks above.
Do you understand how the DUP and loyalists operate?
May had a deal that sorted the issues. The DUP threw her under the bus for BJ. He has promised them something that he reneged on. Plenty of bright minds have worked on your magic solution. It doesn't exist.

What is there is acceptable but a PITA. But the only reason it is not acceptable to the DUP is because of what they know is going to happen and that this just possible brings it along quicker. But like yourself they voted for it and are not getting what they voted for.

No amount of word salads can wash that away. I am at a loss to understand why you are bothered. Your party with Bojo don't give a toss about NI. Your energies would be best served looking at greensill and the ongoing Brexit disaster the UK are having to deal with.

The jury should never have been asked to consider the issue.

The specifics of which you speak are those strawmen you keep inventing.

The reality always was, and remains, that the EU was never "always right" nor the UK "always wrong". That binary rubbish exists only in your mind.

The reality was that the UK in the EU enjoyed enormous benefits which you and yours denied us. The fact you continue to troll that our current problems are the EU's fault is pathetic.
Damn tories, eh. But not just that. People believing Labour was unelectable because one can’t eat a bacon sarnie and the other can’t deal with AS. Meantime, another bunch helping by taking 40 seats off Labour because wanting control is sometimes ok.

It actually makes me laugh that the same whingers would do the same again.

Not really down to Brexit.
There are still other themes ongoing outside of Brexit, I know...hard to believe.
Security in all its forms is one. One company I personally like is expanding it's offering to cover a wider range of biometrics.
We have some good tech companies here, and staffing costs are still pretty reasonable (up here in the NW anyway).
I think there's every chance that the UK will pull out of this covid malaise quicker than mainland Europe too.

Yes there are a few good tech companies in the U.K. but they don’t employ that many people and you can read low staffing costs as paying crap wages and not worth working for.

I'm an (almost) isolated pro-UK, anti-EU, conservative voice on a forum thread dominated by UK-loathing, liberal-left EU sycophants and I'm in a minority of (roughly) one.

Thank goodness you are man, otherwise this would have burnt itself out about 2500 pages ago.

Full marks for persistence in the face of adversity :)

(Now if only there had been a few more like you on the Remain side back in the day, then we wouldn't be in the middle of all this b0ll0cks now ..)

Ross Douglas has committed that should he become First Minister,
Dave Cameron and will Alex Greenshill will take over running NHS Scotland. The 4% pay increase for staff will become 1%.
Jennifer Arcuri will ‘head up’ tech enterprise.
All Covid test and trace will be removed from NHS Scotland and given to Dido, her husband and Serco.
NHS Procurement will be handled by Matt Hancock’s family members and his local pub landlord.
The Trident submarine fleet will be repainted in patriotic colours by a consortium led by Grant Shapps and Michael Green.

Shapps might also call on Corinne Stockheath or Sebastian Fox, so much talent!

I'm an (almost) isolated pro-UK, anti-EU, conservative voice on a forum thread dominated by UK-loathing, liberal-left EU sycophants and I'm in a minority of (roughly) one. Well, you could blow me down with a feather!

There are no 'easy' solutions, though it would be a great help if the European Commission would stop behaving like a particularly vindictive jilted bride.
That's a very binary view of the world you have there. I'm sure most people here have views that are shades of grey rather than the pure, distilled and passionate hatred of the EU you present here.
Looking at my sample of 1: pro-EU but not anti-UK. Pro-Remain but anti-2nd referendum. I'm sorry the UK left, because I think it is bad (not only for me and my family but also for the country in general), but it's water under the bridge and I see the upside (mostly for the EU) of the UK being out. Certainly anti-Cameron/May/BoJo, because of what they have done to the UK, but not liberal-left (one of those awful centrist/moderate traitors, although I despise Swinson).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back