advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear he gets IT advice from fellow fat blond slappers.
Spaffers gonna spaff.
Ross Douglas has committed that should he become First Minister,
Dave Cameron and will Alex Greenshill will take over running NHS Scotland. The 4% pay increase for staff will become 1%.
Jennifer Arcuri will ‘head up’ tech enterprise.
All Covid test and trace will be removed from NHS Scotland and given to Dido, her husband and Serco.
NHS Procurement will be handled by Matt Hancock’s family members and his local pub landlord.
The Trident submarine fleet will be repainted in patriotic colours by a consortium led by Grant Shapps and Michael Green.

EV, I think Singapore-on-Thames (aka Singapore of Europe, etc) was dreamt up by a journo, but the idea was enthusiastically adopted by Leavers, and it has, in essence, been part of right-wing Conservative Party lore for some time. As a Tory and avid reader of The Telegraph/Mail/Express, I’m surprised you don’t know this - or maybe it slipped your mind.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...johnson-trade-deal-EU-singapore-europe-latest

Also, I too would like to hear about your tech solution for NI.

I do find that sort of comment from you offensive, and you seem to have gone and done it again. I have been shouting and yelling about the NI issues on here for months, I've studied the GFA and the WA/NIP, and the legal aspects, and you, by your own admission, haven't been bothered to do any of the above. And you say that I'm the one somehow belittling it!
The various economies will of course adjust, and that includes the UK one.

Ah I am not buying that there is nothing offensive in what I am saying. You are completely unimpacted by events in NI. You have never managed to come up with any magic unicorn IT fix. It is all just conjecture based on a few pigs and a bit of beer going across the border and precious little else.

Of course I have read the various commentaries and sections of the various agreements. The original May position gave NI the best of both worlds. The problem is the DUP don't want that. They just want to be in the UK. I have to be honest and admit that I certainly have not read these agreements cover to cover. There is no point common sense is all one needs to see Brexit is not compatible with NI remaining in the UK without proper checks being done somewhere.

If NI was not political there would just have been a border like Dover.

Ah I am not buying that there is nothing offensive in what I am saying. You are completely unimpacted by events in NI. You have never managed to come up with any magic unicorn IT fix. It is all just conjecture based on a few pigs and a bit of beer going across the border and precious little else.

Of course I have read the various commentaries and sections of the various agreements. The original May position gave NI the best of both worlds. The problem is the DUP don't want that. They just want to be in the UK. I have to be honest and admit that I certainly have not read these agreements cover to cover. There is no point common sense is all one needs to see Brexit is not compatible with NI remaining in the UK without proper checks being done somewhere.

There’s no substantial interest beyond the fact that The Province is a British Possession. The Brexiter’s concern is every bit as confected as ‘the poor Greeks’.

Last edited:

You haven't read the agreements on a principle based on the fact that (you believe) they will change. You have read the agreements, well, bits of them. But that's OK, because you've read commentary. Well, I'll tell you what, I've read commentary too, and the vast majority of it is by people who, like you, also haven't read the agreements, and consequently it is so wide of the mark as to be entirely useless.

But none of that matters, of course, because you've got 'common sense'. Right.

And you continue to parrot the EC's 'nothing is possible' bullshit. I guess we'll see what is and isn't possible over the next few days and weeks.

Tony, your argument is exposed, and its way beyond flaky. I don't care if you live in Ireland, go and do your basic homework before tussling with me on this.

I am referring to living in NI and living with the day to day issues in that society.
Fine if you think my view is flaky but you appear to be in a minority of one here and I don't see any credible voice putting forward a solution. Most of the 'easy' solutions are from ERG types and tend to melt away when you get to the detail.

I'm an (almost) isolated pro-UK, anti-EU, conservative voice on a forum thread dominated by UK-loathing, liberal-left EU sycophants and I'm in a minority of (roughly) one. Well, you could blow me down with a feather!

There are no 'easy' solutions, though it would be a great help if the European Commission would stop behaving like a particularly vindictive jilted bride.

I'm an (almost) isolated pro-UK, anti-EU, conservative voice on a forum thread dominated by UK-loathing, liberal-left EU sycophants and I'm in a minority of (roughly) one. Well, you could blow me down with a feather!

There are no 'easy' solutions, though it would be a great help if the European Commission would stop behaving like a particularly vindictive jilted bride.
Most people here are both pro-UK and pro-EU and it does not the require the Orwellian doublethink you seem to believe.

Being in the EU was hugely beneficial for the UK economy; being out of the EU is already adversely affecting it.

Your fault, own it.

I would not characterise the general feeling on here as 'UK loathing' (any more than I'd characterise broad support for the EU 'project' as sycophancy, but hey). But it is certainly difficult to love what the UK has presently become, and I'm done pretending that I do. That's not 'loathing' as if I hated the UK, I'd be pleased at its demise. To be critical, first you have to care.

Pro UK and voted to make it poorer. Now more likely to see it becoming dis-united.

In addition, you don't have to be "a sycophant" to decide that you are better in the EU than out of it. You can make an entirely pragmatic decision and come to the same conclusion.

My broker sent out an update at the end of last week.
For the first time since we left the EU, they are positive on buying UK stocks.
My specific interests are more tech based, to add context.
The housing market is absolutely flying around here too. I don't think it's all gloom 'n doom.
Obviously, if you are in retail or leisure, the outlook will be dominated by Covid, in a negative sense.

How old were you when you developed your interest in masochism? It’s also an important dynamic in Brexit...the prison camp guards, the punishment beatings. Thankfully there’s Boris ‘slapping down’ ‘furious’ EU politicians on a daily basis to redress the imbalance!

My broker sent out an update at the end of last week.
For the first time since we left the EU, they are positive on buying UK stocks.
My specific interests are more tech based, to add context.
The housing market is absolutely flying around here too. I don't think it's all gloom 'n doom.
Obviously, if you are in retail or leisure, the outlook will be dominated by Covid, in a negative sense.
Is the positivity associated with Brexit though, or might it be a bounce based on the markets' expectation that we're coming out of the Covid crisis?

Is the positivity associated with Brexit though, or might it be a bounce based on the markets' expectation that we're coming out of the Covid crisis?
It’s the Boston (Lincolnshire) school of economic theory. Every negative economic indicator: nowt to do with Brexit. Any flattening out of negative economic indicators: the economic miracle of Brexit is at hand. There inevitably has to be economic growth- we are after all at the nadir of the single largest economic recession since records began. The only reason it’s not a ‘depression’ is because the government became payroll for millions of workers who would have seen their firms close and their jobs vanish.

Housing is flying because:
(a) after 12 months of spending all day together a lot of people have decided that they or their spouse are leaving, so demand for small houses and flats is up.
(b) after 12 months of spending all day in the same house a lot of people have decided they want something better.
(c) after 12 months of working from home a lot of people have decided they need a bigger place with at least one room they can use as an office without having to camp on the kitchen table.
(d) people who have remained in work have been unable to spend their money on holidays, shopping, eating out or the pub and they now have a good deal of money in the bank.

I suspect the new government scheme to encourage first time buyers with a 5% deposit is another way to prop up the housing market. We know that a lot of us assess how well we're doing by the value in our property, and a buoyant housing market is good for fostering warm fuzzy feelings towards government, so as long as that's on the up, the government has less need to watch its back.

Housing is flying because:
(a) after 12 months of spending all day together a lot of people have decided that they or their spouse are leaving, so demand for small houses and flats is up.
(b) after 12 months of spending all day in the same house a lot of people have decided they want something better.
(c) after 12 months of working from home a lot of people have decided they need a bigger place with at least one room they can use as an office without having to camp on the kitchen table.
(d) people who have remained in work have been unable to spend their money on holidays, shopping, eating out or the pub and they now have a good deal of money in the bank.
The growth might be there but the volume is tiny. Too many buyers chasing far too few properties. Guess where prices are going in a near zero interest rate environment? Finally (d) the choke on spending for the past year is now unwinding- hoorah!

Not really down to Brexit.
There are still other themes ongoing outside of Brexit, I know...hard to believe.
Security in all its forms is one. One company I personally like is expanding it's offering to cover a wider range of biometrics.
We have some good tech companies here, and staffing costs are still pretty reasonable (up here in the NW anyway).
I think there's every chance that the UK will pull out of this covid malaise quicker than mainland Europe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back