advertisement

Falcon Acoustics re-introduce the Q7 MiniMonitor.

My interest has been revived.
I’d like to try one of the ‘upgrade’ versions.
Some say they are moving into the Falcon LS3/5a territory with the superior versions,
but I’ve already been there...

Has anyone noticed the IMF200’s on Falcon’s website banner? They’re shown in the second pic. I can’t find any info about them but already find myself very tempted.

Has anyone noticed the IMF200’s on Falcon’s website banner? They’re shown in the second pic. I can’t find any info about them but already find myself very tempted.

Can’t help with that, but I just finished reading the reviews linked to the IMF100’s and the Q7’s on the Falcon site.
I will be getting in touch with the North American distributor this week, to see whether they have brought over any of these kits, or failing that, whether they will special order...Intriguing stuff...

Bit of a thread revival, but I'm considering trying a pair of Q7s. I currently have some original Rogers 15 ohms and am curious to try the larger cabinet. Does anyone know yet how well the gold crossover works in this speaker or if it is best sticking to the basic one?

Bit of a thread revival, but I'm considering trying a pair of Q7s. I currently have some original Rogers 15 ohms and am curious to try the larger cabinet. Does anyone know yet how well the gold crossover works in this speaker or if it is best sticking to the basic one?
A question I would like to know the answer to as well. It appears the silver crossover is no longer available.
It's a £360 jump in price to the gold crossover + another £54 if you want the tygan grilles as well. Not insignificant sums of money in the context of the starting price of £995.
TS

I'm going to have a chat with Falcon tomorrow. £995 for a potentially better speaker than my Ls3 5a is great value. But they can rise to £1700 if you have the gold crossover, tygan and they build them for you. A very big price difference for essentially the same speaker.

Falcon change things.
Lots of people ( including me ) had Falcon LS3/5as.

Then along came the Kingswood Warren 50 Limited Edition.
All sold within the hour ( well, perhaps a little longer ) to mainly Far East LS3/5a Obsessives.
Who have to have every variation of the LS3/5a ever made.

On the back of that came the Gold Badge crossovers, so you could dispose of your recently bought crossovers
in your ‘normal’ ( BBC spec. ) Falcon ‘3/5as.

Then came the Gold Badge LS3/5a itself.

Time to sell off your original ( but BBC spec. ) LS3/5as and buy brand spanking new Gold Badge Falcons.

( Are you following all this. Not sure I am...)

One of the reasons I bought Stirling Broadcast LS3/5as is Doug Stirling doesn’t chop and change.
He builds a good product and sticks with it.

Some say Doug Stirling’s speakers aren’t real LS3/5as.
I say, sit down and listen.

One of the reasons I bought Stirling Broadcast LS3/5as is Doug Stirling doesn’t chop and change.

Huh? Bizarre argument! I thought he was up to V3 now, or V4 if you count the early run of NOS Kef driver LS3/5As!

Falcon have a faithfully recreated 15 Ohm LS3/5A (the ones I have), they made the limited edition ‘Kingswood Warren’ recreation of the BBC prototypes, and have since offered an upgrade crossover which arguably moves things away from a pure LS3/5A spec, and is included in their current speaker. I could upgrade mine to the Gold Label spec with nothing more than buying these crossovers, a screwdriver and four simple solder joints should I wish.

I appreciate that you don’t like Stirling speakers ( amongst others ) and look upon the Falcon as the only real LS3/5a.
You accept Falcon’s crossover upgrade ( called Gold Badge ) but you won’t accept Stirling’s crossover upgrade ( the V3 one )

Using the Falcon logic applied to the Stirlings, you could upgrade the V2 to the V3 by fitting the V3 crossover.
But then, according to you, the Stirlings aren’t real LS3/5as anyway...

Huh ? Bizzare argument.

I appreciate that you don’t like Stirling speakers ( amongst others ) and look upon the Falcon as the only real LS3/5a.

I have never once even hinted that I don’t like Stirling speakers. My only issue with them is they aren’t LS3/5As, which they very clearly aren’t as they don’t use a T27 or B110.

You accept Falcon’s crossover upgrade ( called Gold Badge ) but you won’t accept Stirling’s crossover upgrade ( the V3 one )

If you read my posts I’ve made it very clear I have real doubts about the Falcon Gold Label speakers still qualifying as an LS3/5A if the crossover and subjective output is different to the standard BBC spec.

An LS3/5A is an exceptionally tightly defined thing. It is a BBC specification, though sadly now is little more than a marketing angle. For a speaker to be an LS3/5A it should be sonically and measurably identical to any other LS3/5A. The whole point of the spec being so tight was if one failed they could match any other LS3/5A from stock to it, e.g. there could be a Spendor on one side, a Rogers on the other of a stereo pair and you’d never know. The Hong Kong guy with a wall full of vintage ones confirms this and states he can’t tell them apart! That is exactly how it should be.

Obviously time has not been kind to these vintage drivers, so now there are on occasion sonic differences to be heard between original examples, even between the left and right unit of a serial matched pair (my 149s drivers had shifted very obviously). That is down to glues ageing, moisture, storage etc, but you really should grasp the original design concept and what that specification actually meant.

PS Again I have nothing against the Stirlings (or Grahams etc) at all. I just view them more as a really nice BBC influenced small speaker like the Harbeth P3ESR or Celef PE1. They aren’t an LS3/5A and I doubt even their maker would suggest their suitability to match orphaned units in a studio context. That is the spec!

advertisement

Back