advertisement

LP12 Karousel Upgrade

BMW don't make wheel bearings, they buy them in from bearing manufacturers like SKF or Timken just like every other car manufacturer. These are mass produced needle roller bearings and nothing like the Karousel bearing that is much closer, in design, to the plain bearings used on crankshaft journals.

I've no intention of convincing you about Linn kit but your analogy was poor and vague.

I was going to ask how many manufacturers still supply parts to fit nearly fifty year old turntable, let alone a box for it, but actually how many of them are still in business?

Well, the original LP12 is 50 years old, but nothing (NOWT!) on the current or recent LP12s is the same as it was on the original. So they aren't really making parts for a 50 year old turntable - maybe a 10-15 year old one.

Well, the original LP12 is 50 years old, but nothing (NOWT!) on the current or recent LP12s is the same as it was on the original. So they aren't really making parts for a 50 year old turntable - maybe a 10-15 year old one.
True but if they were identical it wouldn't be any better than it was back then. The point is that it is possible to repair and maintain with genuine parts, to a known level of performance, with the manufacturers warranty, regardless of the age of the original deck. I think some of the screws and bolts are the same.

Early outer platters were much heavier than the modern style platter which was introduced during the late 70s and I believe has been unchanged since. The inner platter was probably a slightly different fit and may have had a longer spindle. The modern outer platters will not fit onto the inner platter of my Castle Built twin button RD11 and I suspect this may also be the case for the early LP12 inner platter.

Top plates have had minor changes to do with the bolts and fitting. Don't know if the thickness has changed.

The lids were changed for new style hinges.

Motors have changed with different suppliers over time.

I don't the platter weight has changed significantly? The only lighter platter I can think of was the Axis/Basik one. I've had very early and later platters and they seem the same weight to me.

The original weight of outer and inner platter combined was 4.1kg which was still wrongly being reported in Hi-Fi Choice editions during the 80's and in a Linn manual. I previously thought the 4.1kg was the modern weight but was corrected about this in another thread on this forum where the mass of the modern platters was being discussed and one of the other contributors weighed his. I believe the modern outer platters are around 0.6kg lighter than the early ones though my scales are not particularly accurate to be precise.

I have the outer platter from a Linn Basik which is very light compared with the LP12 platter.

I was not aware of the 2009 change. The change I was referring to was around 1976/77 from what I have read.

I've just ordered a Karousel - found one at a bit lower price, but it's still a huge amount for me. - But I figured I deserve some treat for myself ... between all the vet bills and other raising expanses.

Come on all ye fishes, tell me I did the right thing. :)

Deck is very nice, fairly new with Lingo 1, TP Khan, Nima, PTG33/II, Cirkus subchassis - Kore upgrade will wait for another day.

I've just ordered a Karousel - found one at a bit lower price..

If it was cheaper I'd probably be more inclined to give it a try but Linn's pricing these days is insane. I'm also skeptical. Sure, the response is encouraging but I'm old enough to remember exactly the same sort of hype around the Lingo and Cirkus bearing. And on reflection I prefer the pre-Cirkus bearing and other PSUs to the Lingo.

We'll see. Maybe one day. Maybe not.

Just saying, like. Never heard a Karousel (800 quid) and not likely to, but the lowering of the "noise" threshold achieved when I fitted a blue belt (25 quid) to my Cirkus, Ittok LVIII deck was Kolossal to my ear. That´s x 32 the investment. No way is the sound going to improve 32 times as much.

..the lowering of the "noise" threshold achieved when I fitted a blue belt (25 quid) to my Cirkus, Ittok LVIII deck was Kolossal to my ear. That´s x 32 the investment. No way is the sound going to improve 32 times as much.

Yes, a lot on Hi-Fi is about altering your expectations of value and importance. I realized many years ago that many of the small tweaks you could do to a system would give results that were comparable to spending a lot of money on equipment.

I've just ordered a Karousel - found one at a bit lower price, but it's still a huge amount for me. - But I figured I deserve some treat for myself ... between all the vet bills and other raising expanses.

Come on all ye fishes, tell me I did the right thing. :)

Deck is very nice, fairly new with Lingo 1, TP Khan, Nima, PTG33/II, Cirkus subchassis - Kore upgrade will wait for another day.
Well I haven't heard anyone expressing regret. Karousel LP12 is the only kind I've ever heard, personally, so I can't really comment, but I'd certainly be interested in your own thoughts.

advertisement

Back