advertisement

Harbeth XD - What's The Difference

Who is the "authorised HUG representative" ?

I don't know Dave, but whomever it is should try and jolly it up a bit, it's rather 'dry' over there ;).

Apologies HUG, bit cheeky, but it does lack that welcome element of humour !

The Croft you sold me recently is rather nice with the Harbs btw. And I do like an understatement :)

What an exceptionally whingey thread.

Has anyone heard the XD version of the Compact 7s? I believe the new prices are ludicrous for a bit of a crossover rethink, but I'd still be very interested to know how he's tweaked them.

I have and the C7XD is absolutely fantastic. I prefer them over the SHL5+ 40th.A.E. and the M30.2 40th. A.E. but they need space as most Harbeth I have heard they can be boomy in the bass if you don't have enough space. But many people are used to room modes so they won't recognize it as much as I do. I was totally upset because of the price increase but they are worth the price IMO and the tamo ash is one of the most beautiful veneers I have seen.

“...Has anyone heard the XD version of the Compact 7s? I believe the new prices are ludicrous for a bit of a crossover rethink, but I'd still be very interested to know how he's tweaked them.

Second that; getting back to the original post... I’d be very interested to hear from anyone who has actually compared the P3R XD with either the P3ESR or any of the earlier P3s. If the XD is, say 15-20% improvement overall, it would be worth the freight to me, given the years of pleasure I’ve had with the P3 ES-2..

Then there's the brainwashed, there seem to be some people which don't accept others opinion or allow them to free speech really.
Pretty much HUG is something of a "Heil" affaire where critic (even constructive) is not allowed, meaning a pure marketing tool to brainwash the remaining public audience.
Personally I just hate places where you can't express your view without being moderated, of course within generel AUP.

It is indeed a strange forum that wasn't what it first appeared to be at least to me. The same could be said of Alan Shaw himself. It is funded and run by Harbeth in support of their commercial activities and so to expect it to be wholly fair and objective concerning Harbeth is probably unreasonable whatever ones initial hopes.

I hope Leo got his issues solved, this could be another lesson of "loss of reputation & sales" because Brands don't take their responsibility seriously.
In my opinion Harbeth should replace Leo's speakers with no cost for him (but an apology) provided this is a true story.

Why? There is a cosmetic fault due to what looks like someone not cleaning the driver after assembly which could likely be fixed with a rag and appropriate solvent. There is another cosmetic fault due to what might be physical damage or possibly clumsy grinding. They are cosmetic issues that won't bother some but do bother Peter Leo. They are the type of issues that certainly shouldn't be happening in an expensive luxury goods business and one can speculate that it is unlikely to have been happening in the past or else there would have been similar posts. Interesting to speculate what went wrong and the possibility that more than one person may have failed to do their job competently (e.g. driver assembler, speaker assembler, final inspector, packer,...). It seems likely to be a temporary glitch due to some change in production but it is interesting that it has occurred.

Replacing the driver with a clean and undamaged one at no cost is a full fix to the problem. Perhaps one could argue for more than a full fix due to being messed around but posting about problems on the web will have likely removed any desire at the Harbeth end to go above and beyond.

They are cosmetic issues that won't bother some but do bother Peter Leo
It's my fault that I noticed this. I apologize to Harbeth :D I seem to have ruined someone's idyll.
but posting about problems on the web will have likely removed any desire at the Harbeth end to go above and beyond.
Your position seems to me not entirely transparent. Are you saying that publishing a negative review about a product is unacceptable because it would upset the manufacturer of that product? This is a joke? Then let's stop posting positive reviews too, to be honest. Either we publish any of our opinions and experiences on the Internet, or we don't publish anything at all. Otherwise, there will be selectivity of opinions, which will lead to a subjective assessment of the goods of this company.
If you suspect that after this recall Harbeth will cease to fulfill its warranty obligations and monitor the quality of the goods, then this will eventually become a problem for Harbeth themselves.

Are you saying that publishing a negative review about a product is unacceptable because it would upset the manufacturer of that product?

It's quite obviously one that 'slipped through the net'. If it was a common problem, or one that Harbeth refused to fix, then you'd be well within your rights to publicly complain.

I have and the C7XD is absolutely fantastic. I prefer them over the SHL5+ 40th.A.E. and the M30.2 40th. A.E. but they need space as most Harbeth I have heard they can be boomy in the bass if you don't have enough space. But many people are used to room modes so they won't recognize it as much as I do. I was totally upset because of the price increase but they are worth the price IMO and the tamo ash is one of the most beautiful veneers I have seen.

That's great that you've found the right speaker. From what I remember, we have very similar sized rooms, so I'm not surprised that the Compact 7s work so well. Have you ever managed to compare the XD with the C7ES3? I actually just bought a pair of C7ES3 as a nostalgia trip, since they were my main speaker a few years ago. I'm really enjoying them. They don't have the range and clarity of my Tannoy Eatons and I do still hear their flaws, but at the same time my breathing relaxes: they feel both intimate and dynamically, and just the right size for my room (4.5 x 3.5m). The lack of bass is quite noticeable after the Eatons, but I don't mind most of the time. One thing that this experiment has re-affirmed is how much Harbeths appreciate a powerful amp.

If it was a common problem, or one that Harbeth refused to fix, then you'd be well within your rights to publicly complain.
I disagree with you. If I had read such a review before, I would have given up on the idea of buying Harbeth altogether. I'm sure there are other similar stories that are hushed up following your logic of thought. I do not want to hush up my experience, and this is my right. Are you worried about publishing experiences? By the way, my drivers have not been replaced yet.

That's great that you've found the right speaker. From what I remember, we have very similar sized rooms, so I'm not surprised that the Compact 7s work so well. Have you ever managed to compare the XD with the C7ES3? I actually just bought a pair of C7ES3 as a nostalgia trip, since they were my main speaker a few years ago. I'm really enjoying them. They don't have the range and clarity of my Tannoy Eatons and I do still hear their flaws, but at the same time my breathing relaxes: they feel both intimate and dynamically, and just the right size for my room (4.5 x 3.5m). The lack of bass is quite noticeable after the Eatons, but I don't mind most of the time. One thing that this experiment has re-affirmed is how much Harbeths appreciate a powerful amp.
The speaker is still to big for my room as is my Living Voice R3R, but I like the speakers the most in the Harbeth 2-way lineup. Enough bass for bigger rooms IMO, clarity above the C7ES3 and the C7ES3 40th.A.E. but still draws you in and let you forgot about everything else. Charming but not boing or to warm.

Are you saying that publishing a negative review about a product is unacceptable because it would upset the manufacturer of that product?

Review? You have posted about a couple of valid issues with a new product. Things happen. You have asked the manufacturer to make it right which they are doing. Yet you have posted about the issues on several forums before the issues have been resolved. Something that might be expected if the issues were not being dealt with but they are. This is odd as other have commented and the lack of good faith will push Harbeth towards doing the minimum to resolve matters. It is seems counter productive for both Harbeth and yourself. Posting about your experience after resolution would make more sense since it looks unusual which makes it interesting.

it looks unusual which makes it interesting
I hate that my new Harbeth have such a flaw. It upsets me. This Harbeth cannot change in any way. But I understand your need to protect Harbeth.
It's okay, don't worry too much. My gift is already ruined. The joy of shopping was spoiled.
I'm tired of this topic. I'll write you in PM when the drivers are replaced. Wait.

But I understand your need to protect Harbeth.

It has got nothing to do with Harbeth but how to go about resolving issues with products. In my first post I half wrote and then deleted my experience with HUG and Alan Shaw. It wasn't positive but it also wasn't particularly relevant to the thread. Harbeth produces niche luxury products targeted at a small section of the audiophile market. They seem to have served their target market well in the past which makes your experience unusual. Whether it is temporary glitch or a sign of a change I don't know but it is interesting.

Bearing in mind the fit and finish of speakers made in China at a fraction of the cost of these, I would have taken them back to Harbeth and demanded that Alan Shaw personally inspect them and ask him if he would accept them. The finish on the driver frame is totally unacceptable at this price point - and I don't care even if they sound brilliant - they should still look brilliant as well.
Surprisingly shoddy from Harbeth.

advertisement

Back