advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually this one, unlike my WB amp, barely gets warm unless the speakers demand it. These little speakers don't even register!

After a bit of rejigging at the very end of last year, I ended up with this. Simpler than before, and smaller too, but it works for me.
A6813-BA2-6-F17-4-BCE-A228-240-C5-A1-AE360.jpg
Hi Nigel - what Proacs are these?

Best regards

A bit odd for a Class A no?

Yes. Push/Pull A, not single ended.

The temperature thing is more to do with the feed forward error correction circuit ('Sense'). With my large floor-standing speakers there is some warmth at the heatsink, but these little shrimps don't appear to register.

The toggles on the front panel allow me to select bias, so as pictured it's doing comparatively few Watts class A, then A/B up to full output (about 100W for this one). Like the majority of solid state amps. If I want, I can select class A operation via the switches (up to something like 30W IIRC), after which it's A/B up to the same maximum power. Then it gets warm. The production 'TS' amps are about 25% more on all those figures, mine is a pre-production test unit in a smaller chassis.

It also heats only to a certain point, so the amp never gets hotter than Colin decided. So in a cold room, the amp runs harder into A, getting the heatsinks to a certain temperature. In a warmer room, the class A is backing off so the amplifier self-regulates itself to always run at the same temperature. When left idle, it backs off more and more - it's a kind of dynamic bias system.

Nice photo as always Gromit.

Nice to see someone else with the Nima on the LP12. Lovely match.

How do you find the Mojo on the Node 2i? I'm using the Chord cable on the coax connection and loving it. I was thinking of the qutest but I feel the mojo gives me most of what the qutest does.

Nice photo as always Gromit.

Nice to see someone else with the Nima on the LP12. Lovely match.

How do you find the Mojo on the Node 2i? I'm using the Chord cable on the coax connection and loving it. I was thinking of the qutest but I feel the mojo gives me most of what the qutest does.

Thanks for the kind comment - I do my best :)

Yes, the Nima is a great partner to the LP12 where there's a definite synergy - I think it looks great too and is a piece of the proverbial to set up. And stays that way too. Could do with a new cartridge in the near future but with the Node 2i...and Mojo...

...that's on hold for a while.

For some years I've been using a Teac UD-H01 DAC which has been a wonderful little device, and seen off several other DACs at similar - and much (much!) higher prices. The Mojo really has brought about an improvement though. It's subtle, but easily demonstrable, and mostly in the departments of clarity (bass pitch definition notably) and rhythmic snap. The Node's internal DAC isn't exactly shabby, but the Mojo injects so much energy and musical verve, it's been a no-brainer purchase. The battery in this one is only running at 50% or so of as-new so will send off for a replacement at some point. Still got around 5 hours of music so I have no complaint.

Cable-wise I'm using a Beresford optical but would like to try the coax at some point - I found this the favoured connection to the Teac over optical.

Possibly the most ridiculous thing on here, but it amuses me. My (temporary) workshop system - you can see the regular amplifier off to the side.

Chromecast audio (radio paradise) into a monstrous EWA class A amplifier, feeding tiny little JPW Sonata loudspeakers!

It is seriously distracting, it sounds so good... The amplifier is probably capable of setting fire to the speakers though!!

I thought it was a welder:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back