advertisement

Celef speakers with Kef tweeters.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
I’ve been involved with some discussion on another Forum about Celef speakers and reference was made
to an early model.
This did have a Kef tweeter, whereas all later models had Audax or Peerless tweeters.

No-one appears to know anything about this early model.
Do any PFM members have any information ?

Only ever seen Celef speakers with Seas, Audax, Peerless or Motorola tweeters. They may have had a model with one of the T27 variants ( white dome or later with the blue and black wires on face) but I don’t remember it all.

Although different, the old Seas H series could be mistaken for a Kef driver (at a glance)!

They may well have made one though, the Kef tweeter popped up quite often. Of course the speakers may just have just been modded by someone.

Thanks.
I actually got the title of this thread wrong !
Someone pointed out that the first Celef speakers had Kef bass/mid. drivers ( B200s, I understand ) and Celestion
tweeters.
I assume HF1300s, but there were other models of course.
I could contact Stewart Tyler at Pro-Ac, but I believe he doesn’t like getting involved
with audio anoraks...

Believe it's no secret that the name Celef came from CELestion kEF after the drivers used in the first units.
DGP

Exactly, but I have yet to track down any of the first speakers which I believe had
Kef bass/mid. drivers and Celestion tweeters.

Exactly, but I have yet to track down any of the first speakers which I believe had
Kef bass/mid. drivers and Celestion tweeters.

Have a look at this link:-

https://witchdoctor.co.nz/index.php/2017/06/made-with-pride-in-england/

It describes how the original design was in the form of a kit consisting of Kef bass, Kef mid & Kef tweeter. When he came to build it he couldn't source any Kef midrange units so used a Celestion instead. After demonstrating them a local dealer ordered 6 pairs. Whether any more were built is anyone's guess.

Thanks for that.
It’s good to see that ST is still active.
I do wish I’d tried a pair of his LS8s...
They do come up for sale. I had one of the original pairs, enjoyed them immensely but ultimately went for something capable of filling a bigger room. A few months ago I got another pair. Fabulous.

advertisement

Back